Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a selfish guy who played for the Pies, goes down as one of their best ever players. But while he never won a flag the players he drove away did

A lot of superstars athletes are selfish I agree

So his post Brownlow interviews have revealed that there was obviously a disagreement with Longmire and the coaching staff, but also...

1. His diet was terrible and consisted of mostly junk food.
2. He didn't work hard enough defensively (according to his dad)
3. He always planned to return to a Victorian club regardless of his problems with the Swans.
4. He left partly because he didn't feel he should have to start games off the bench and should have started in front of Hanneberry, Parker and Kennedy.

I see Foxsports is carrying a story saying the Mitchell trade is the "greatest trade blunder of all time, according to a prominent AFL voice," ie, one bloke.
I'm not going to link to it. It's the worst kind of journalism, quoting one person's opinion as some kind of breaking news.

I see Foxsports is carrying a story saying the Mitchell trade is the "greatest trade blunder of all time, according to a prominent AFL voice," ie, one bloke.
I'm not going to link to it. It's the worst kind of journalism, quoting one person's opinion as some kind of breaking news.

Plus it was Robinson, the absolute parody of a drunken hack journo.

The worst trade of all time is Longmire and Carey for $10,000, followed by that Carlton trade for Stephen O'Reilly that resulted in their salary cap breach

There was this selfish guy who played in two premierships with a club
They wanted to make him the highest paid player, but he went to another club for a 9 year 10 million deal

They won 2 flags without him, must be because he is selfish

His decision had nothing to do with money or leaving a club for more opportunity.

He moved to be with his partner, nothing more, noting less.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The worst trade of all time is Longmire and Carey for $10,000, followed by that Carlton trade for Stephen O'Reilly that resulted in their salary cap breach
We have had a few. The Daniher brothers was a shocker. Not retaining Mitchell was the equivalent of Decca records telling the Beatles in 1962 they would never make it. They contracted Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead. The equivalent of us keeping on McVeigh and Jack and letting Mitchell go.

Not sure about quoting from other boards but.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-worst-trade-ever.824971/

Worst trade ever?

That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for you. AND you had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on you. AND you had to pay a fine. AND you got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that your mulit-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players.

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft.

I reckon that would have the McMahon trade covered by a couple of laps of Flemington, then a trip down the highway for a run round Caulfield, before a backtrack to run the length of the Moone Valley straight.

Horse made him run around in the 2s while being best on

Horse plays , Hanners , Jack etc injured or brings them straight in after an injury

Work it out
The bullshit Mitchell is spouting about not getting games is just that. Bullshit. He played 45 games in his last two years including 26 games in 2016. For Horse to back a young player to play an inside mid role in a team that was stacked with some of the best inside midfield talent in the AFL shows that Horse, whether he liked him or not, was more than willing to give him opportunities.

Fact : Horse has a habit of developing the complete player before he gives them a guaranteed senior berth. It's the Hawks who are now benefitting from all that preparation.
Fact : The Swans were well aware of Mitchell's talent but Mitchell wanted cash and lots of it. Mitchell also wanted to play in Victoria. Despite the massive investment in him by the Swans, their loyalty to him and his family ties to the club he had only one agenda. That was Tom Mitchell.

Let's talk about how we got Kennedy for a song from the Hawks. Now there is a guy who is loyal to his team and genuinely only moved to get more game time after just 13 games in his last two years at the Hawks (as opposed to Mitchell's 45 at the Swans). He wasn't after big money. He had no desire to move to Sydney but Horse saw the talent and offered him the chance to play. Then let's talk about how your mate Clarko was the one who really stuffed up and let such a massive talent go for almost nothing.

Last edited:
As an example of how much easier it is to shine in a lame midfield, young George Hewett bettered Mitchell over the course of our two games this year.

Now I don't think George is our best midfielder (yet) but I bet his teammates and coaches hold him in higher regard than Mitchell.

Mitchell played 45 games in his last two years as a Swan. He played 46 games in his last two years as a Hawk. If he'd stayed a Swan that would have been 47 games (barring injury of course)

To come out and say he left because he wasn't getting games is enitirely disingenuous*

*BS

Did you guys hear the interview with his g/f? Asked what it was about the Hawks that brought out the best in him, she said the 'Coaching staff' had allowed him to really shine. She was v emphatic about this and said it in four different ways. This would seem to correspond with a lot of commentary on this board. Longmire hated him because he was cocky, and he only likes good honest triers. He got lowballed massively, so he left and then won the Brownlow 2 years later.

He obviously loves Clarko. I can't see how anyone here can possible have a problem with him. Our club completely f*cked this up. End of story.
Pardon the intrusion, I’d say your club didn’t * it up, hindsight is a wonderful thing and at the time he was towards the back of the pecking order in midfielders.

It’s like a reverse scenario of Kennedy and us, and yeah it hurt when Kennedy blossomed at the swans but that’s unfortunately the landscape of the game, no club will ever get it right 100% of the time and I honesty never thought Kennedy would become half the player he has.

For as good as Tom has been at Hawthorn I strongly doubt he’d be having the same impact at Sydney, he’s our number 1 midfielder by some margin, at Sydney he’d probably still be trying to find his spot behind your other midfield stars. Same story with Joey behind Hodge, Mitchell and Sewell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell played 45 games in his last two years as a Swan. He played 46 games in his last two years as a Hawk. If he'd stayed a Swan that would have been 47 games (barring injury of course)

To come out and say he left because he wasn't getting games is enitirely disingenuous*

*BS

Did you miss your turn having a skol of the Mitchell kool-aid too? :thumbsu:

:eek:

Need I remind you I now have mod powers.... :p
tenor.gif

Fact : Horse has a habit of developing the complete player before he gives them a guaranteed senior berth. It's the Hawks who are now benefitting from all that preparation.
Fact : The Swans were well aware of Mitchell's talent but Mitchell wanted cash and lots of it. Mitchell also wanted to play in Victoria. Despite the massive investment in him by the Swans, their loyalty to him and his family ties to the club he had only one agenda. That was Tom Mitchell.

fact
fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is known or proved to be true.
    "the most commonly known fact about hedgehogs is that they have fleas"
    synonyms: reality, actuality, certainty, factuality, certitude; More
    • information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.
      "even the most inventive journalism peters out without facts, and in this case there were no facts"
      synonyms: detail, piece of information, particular, item, specific, element, point, factor, feature, characteristic, respect, ingredient, attribute, circumstance, consideration, aspect, facet; More

• used to refer to a particular situation under discussion.
      noun: the fact that
      "despite the fact that I'm so tired, sleep is elusive"

So his post Brownlow interviews have revealed that there was obviously a disagreement with Longmire and the coaching staff, but also...

1. His diet was terrible and consisted of mostly junk food.
2. He didn't work hard enough defensively (according to his dad)
3. He always planned to return to a Victorian club regardless of his problems with the Swans.
4. He left partly because he didn't feel he should have to start games off the bench and should have started in front of Hanneberry, Parker and Kennedy.

Where’s this at?

Edit: found this quote - “I just had a funny feeling during the year [2016] that I lacked opportunity… I was either playing in the reserves, and the games I was in the seniors I’d come off the bench every quarter or play low game time.” https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/24/lack-of-opportunity-forced-mitchell-to-leave-sydney/

Tom’s last NEAFL game was Rd 4, 2015. Played every game he was available after that.

In 2016, he averaged about 80% time on ground. About the same as Jack and Heeney, less than Parker (88%), Kennedy (86%) and Hannebery (85%).

(Tom managed 90% TOG this year at the Hawks, which is more than any of our mids have managed in the past few seasons. So I guess it’s true he didn’t get the opportunity to do that at Sydney.)

Can’t dig up how many quarters he started on the bench, though. I suppose we’ll have to take his word for it.

2016 Tom Mitchell averaged more game time than 2014 Josh Kennedy, fwiw.

Last edited:
Where’s this at?

Edit: found this quote - “I just had a funny feeling during the year [2016] that I lacked opportunity… I was either playing in the reserves, and the games I was in the seniors I’d come off the bench every quarter or play low game time.” https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/24/lack-of-opportunity-forced-mitchell-to-leave-sydney/

Tom’s last NEAFL game was Rd 4, 2015. Played every game he was available after that.

In 2016, he averaged about 80% time on ground. About the same as Jack and Heeney, less than Parker (88%), Kennedy (86%) and Hannebery (85%).

(Tom managed 90% TOG this year at the Hawks, which is more than any of our mids have managed in the past few seasons. So I guess it’s true he didn’t get the opportunity to do that at Sydney.)

Can’t dig up how many quarters he started on the bench, though. I suppose we’ll have to take his word for it.

2016 Tom Mitchell averaged more game time than 2014 Josh Kennedy, fwiw.
Hey! If Tom "had a funny feeling" he was playing reserves in 2016 then that's good enough for me.

fact
fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is known or proved to be true.
    "the most commonly known fact about hedgehogs is that they have fleas"
    synonyms: reality, actuality, certainty, factuality, certitude; More
    • information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.
      "even the most inventive journalism peters out without facts, and in this case there were no facts"
      synonyms: detail, piece of information, particular, item, specific, element, point, factor, feature, characteristic, respect, ingredient, attribute, circumstance, consideration, aspect, facet; More

• used to refer to a particular situation under discussion.
      noun: the fact that
      "despite the fact that I'm so tired, sleep is elusive"
Guess who got a dictionary for Christmas. I bet you looked up Fart first thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back