Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

100% the bloke is going to play again this season. You don't walk around with a compression bandage 19 days after surgery if you don't expect to play footy within 8 months.

2skq05.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What really gets me up and about seeing Mitchell out there is that for me it gives a lot of hope that this is NOT a Nathan Brown/Mick Barlow kind of destroyed leg injury where the player can never ever get back to the standard they once were.

I'm thinking of it more like one of those injuries like when Gibbo had the bad hammy or Roughy had the Achilles. Sucked when those guys were out, but when they came back they still hit their best footy.

What really gets me up and about seeing Mitchell out there is that for me it gives a lot of hope that this is NOT a Nathan Brown/Mick Barlow kind of destroyed leg injury where the player can never ever get back to the standard they once were.

I'm thinking of it more like one of those injuries like when Gibbo had the bad hammy or Roughy had the Achilles. Sucked when those guys were out, but when they came back they still hit their best footy.
There's no reason he shouldn't have a 'normal leg' when it's healed, if all goes well with his recovery. Anytime you get a large hunk of metal in your leg there are risks of complication, the commonest significant one is for it to get infected. Barring any complications I believe he's a reasonable chance he could be on the park towards the end of the season. He has few hurdles to get over before then, so we just have to be patient and see how he goes with them.

Last edited:
Here in Europe I know a soccer player who broke his leg similarly to Tommy around 20 weeks ago, now just this week he has started training with main group but he’s gonna be given 4-5 weeks before he is up for selection in the senior side. That’s around 25 weeks all up and considering Tommy did his injury 10 weeks out from the start of the season, I believe the hawks will have a good look at him around rd 15 to 18!! But let’s not forget, that as demanding as elite level soccer is, there’s a lot more to consider when a player comes back to play high intensity, physical, 360 sport like AFL!
Fingers crossed because God knows we gonna miss him.

Here in Europe I know a soccer player who broke his leg similarly to Tommy around 20 weeks ago, now just this week he has started training with main group but he’s gonna be given 4-5 weeks before he is up for selection in the senior side. That’s around 25 weeks all up and considering Tommy did his injury 10 weeks out from the start of the season, I believe the hawks will have a good look at him around rd 15 to 18!! But let’s not forget, that as demanding as elite level soccer is, there’s a lot more to consider when a player comes back to play high intensity, physical, 360 sport like AFL!
Fingers crossed because God knows we gonna miss him.
A lot would depend on how we're going. If we're shocking and clearly going to miss finals then the club will likely be cautious and hold him back, potentially for the season. If we're doing really well then they'll again most likely be cautious with no reason to rush him back as soon as he seems ready. But if we're somewhere in between with a decent chance of making the 8 or even breaking into the top 4 then they might take the risk to try and get us over that line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back