Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watch the BUPA report. Doesn't seem very indefinite to me. He's saying I'm ready to go... but I have to wait for the doctors OK.

On the other hand, the Grant Birchall silence is DEAFENING.

PS: I always thought that lady named Hannah was boring on BUPA.
The new one is in a class of her own.
That's harsh, I actually emailed them feedback about how bad the old videos were, and I appreciate they've scripted it now, and the new person at least tries to sound enthused.

9stacks

Draftee
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone else notice this little update since previous reports? 🤔

0C43E281-E5E2-44DF-978F-591C8EBF7269.jpeg

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bones don't take 6-12 months to heal, and since it was a "clean" break without damage to ligaments etc, it would be a matter of ensuring the bone is strong (perhaps 1-3 months) and then conditioning of the leg (2-3 weeks), followed by a proper block of training to get him ready to play (6-8 weeks?).

Round 14-15 isn't out of the question IMO.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i wouldnt even consider playing him this year even tho he possibly could because we are still a work in progress.

I wouldn't rush him back, but if he's ready, he's ready. I don't see much point in holding him back. Just prolongs his time out of the game, and unnecessarily elongates his return to the game. He's young enough to still be improving, so time playing is more learning time.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't rush him back, but if he's ready, he's ready. I don't see much point in holding him back. Just prolongs his time out of the game, and unnecessarily elongates his return to the game. He's young enough to still be improving, so time playing is more learning time.
I agree with this if he is ready. The game has changed a bit and would do him good getting use to the rythme of the game. Selfishly, I also want to see O'Meara, Mitchell and Worpel at the centre bounces sooner rather than later.

RobHawk

All Australian
May 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Guy I work with sat next to TOM on plane a few weeks ago, and TOM told him he would be back round 18.....so long as there were no setbacks.

I suspect that will depend on how we are tracking for finals. If we are as good as out then not sure I see the point on him playing this year.
What adds credibilty to this is Hawthorn are scheduled to play Geelong in that round.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Guy I work with sat next to TOM on plane a few weeks ago, and TOM told him he would be back round 18.....so long as there were no setbacks.

I suspect that will depend on how we are tracking for finals. If we are as good as out then not sure I see the point on him playing this year.
There are always setbacks at HFC

Don't pretend you have a job

Other than that the story rings true

Back