Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Next year's midfield as stands currently.
The young: Worpel, Cousins, Morrison, Jones, Glass, Ross,
The prime: Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully, Wingard, Howe,
The aging: Smith, Henderson, Shiels

Drafting, Free agency and trading included, we'll be hoping for a big boost in the young/prime category to accommodate for the loss of burgoyne and aging of others.

Mitchell is a competitive beast. Anyone who thinks he won’t be back later this year is in for a surprise.

Exactly, Tom is unbelievably focused on footy: he may be outwardly noncommittal on returning, but inside he’ll be burning to play again as soon as possible.

And he’ll give an absolute 100% effort.

If we happen to be sitting 5th-10th at the start of August able to play finals but not a chance at the flag, is it possible that adding in Tom Mitchell to that side means we could be a sneaky chance at the flag?

FWIW I think we'll be out of finals contention by the start of August, but happy to be wrong

Exactly, Tom is unbelievably focused on footy: he may be outwardly noncommittal on returning, but inside he’ll be burning to play again as soon as possible.

And he’ll give an absolute 100% effort.

At the point where he was walking without crutches like 2 weeks after the break I knew he was aiming for a return before the end of the season.

Anyone know how he is traveling atm? Not hypotheticals (don’t care if he’s back this season or not *although would love him to be) but just base training wise. Is he jogging laps or just in the gym / anti-gravity thing?

Can’t wait for the day we have a fully fit Mitch / Omeara combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know how he is traveling atm? Not hypotheticals (don’t care if he’s back this season or not *although would love him to be) but just base training wise. Is he jogging laps or just in the gym / anti-gravity thing?

Can’t wait for the day we have a fully fit Mitch / Omeara combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was on 3AW yesterday and said he was unlikely to come back this year. He’s had a little setback with the running and the club are taking a much more cautious approach. He said “I’m not going to sacrifice my career for a couple of games this year”, or words to that effect.

Was originally hoping to be running in April but is just warming up to it now. Been doing a lot of swimming and bike. If you look up 3aw football on podcasts apps you will find. Worth a listen.

He was on 3AW yesterday and said he was unlikely to come back this year. He’s had a little setback with the running and the club are taking a much more cautious approach. He said “I’m not going to sacrifice my career for a couple of games this year”, or words to that effect.

Was originally hoping to be running in April but is just warming up to it now. Been doing a lot of swimming and bike. If you look up 3aw football on podcasts apps you will find. Worth a listen.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this is why I think it is ridiculous in rushing him back this season. We need a 100% fit and firing Tom Mitchell for next season. I’m not concerned about the leg once the bone is healed but more so any soft tissue injuries that could happen by trying to get him up and running for realistically a couple of games at the end of the season. There is the upside of it doing his confidence the world of good to play a couple of games but people need to understand there can will be hiccups in trying to do so. I much rather they play the long game and wrap him in cotton wool and feel this is what will happen wether Tom wants to get back or not. We have to think about 2020 onwards rather than a handful of meaningless games at the end of this year. He’d be burning to get back ASAP and rightfully so but he is that important for us moving forward that the 2019 season becomes irrelevant to his long term health.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this is why I think it is ridiculous in rushing him back this season. We need a 100% fit and firing Tom Mitchell for next season. I’m not concerned about the leg once the bone is healed but more so any soft tissue injuries that could happen by trying to get him up and running for realistically a couple of games at the end of the season. There is the upside of it doing his confidence the world of good to play a couple of games but people need to understand there can will be hiccups in trying to do so. I much rather they play the long game and wrap him in cotton wool and feel this is what will happen wether Tom wants to get back or not. We have to think about 2020 onwards rather than a handful of meaningless games at the end of this year. He’d be burning to get back ASAP and rightfully so but he is that important for us moving forward that the 2019 season becomes irrelevant to his long term health.

There was no issue bringing him back if we were playing finals this year... I think yesterday ended that.

There was no issue bringing him back if we were playing finals this year... I think yesterday ended that.

I can’t remember with whom but I was quoted as saying that I’d ONLY bring him back this season if we were legit contenders which we are not. If Tom hadn’t of broken his leg then I’d put us just below the group of Tigers, Pies, Cats, Eagles, Giants in winning it all.

Whether people want to recognise it or not we are still a few parts away from getting there (contending) which is why I am not totally against developing our youngsters the majority of this season (topic for another thread).

With Tom we’d be battling with others for a top 4 spot but once again with no solid KPF. Solid doesn’t have to mean a Jeremy Cameron but just someone that can clunk a couple of marks (Patton) to take the pressure off our small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Tom we’d be battling with others for a top 4 spot but once again with no solid KPF. Solid doesn’t have to mean a Jeremy Cameron but just someone that can clunk a couple of marks (Patton) to take the pressure off our small forwards.
We should've moved on Himmelberg/Finlayson a little more aggressively.
Unless we've got another KPP target at the end of the year, I reckon we've missed a significant opportunity.

We should've moved on Himmelberg/Finlayson a little more aggressively.
Unless we've got another KPP target at the end of the year, I reckon we've missed a significant opportunity.

Apparently they were shopping Finlayson too which makes it even more frustrating. He would’ve been a nice get for sure.

There is only one reason he is listed as a season injury it puts no pressure on himself or the club.
Im sure tom and club will make the right call when it comes to it, around r16-18 if we are inside the top 6 otherwise there is no risk policy.
i can't wait for him to come back good luck to teams with him and jaeger both fully fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back