Recommitted Tom Mitchell [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

If he were to be traded, what would Hawthorn get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No disagreement he had a better year given Neale's injury woes. He doesn't have more impact as a player. Opposition coaches are quite content to have him run around and pad the stats column.
This isn't true, of all of our midfielders Mitchell was the closest checked by opposition players. But unfortunately our midfield as a collective did not work all that well as a unit so more offen then not the opposition would just run head to head and get the net gain overall.

Only if you march him to the door and point the way out. You should be thrilled that he is being valued so lowly, it most likely means that he's a Hawk for life. And as a Richmond member who wants to hit the draft hard, it's a win/win for everyone involved.
What is said here has no bearing on any eventual trades. Just because you don't want your club to pursue him doesn't mean coming in here and posting some ridiculous trade hypothetical. Knowing full well that it has a 0% chance of occuring. What you should be doing is writing to tigers and stating your opinion on how you want the club to move forward and hope that the rumours of interest are just that.

Last edited:
What is said here has no bearing on any eventually trades. Just because you don't want your club to pursue him doesn't mean coming in here and posting some ridiculous trade hypothetical. Knowing full well that it has a 0% chance of occuring. What you should be doing is writing to tigers and stating your opinion on how you want the club to move forward and hope that the rumours of interest are just that.

I haven't come in here posting any 'ridiculous trade hypotheticals' or any hypotheticals' for that matter in regards to Mitchell. So I'm not sure what you are talking about? I just simply stated that if you rate him as highly as you seem to you should be pleased that so many others don't. That he's yours in 2022 and he can keep on doing what he does best for Hawthorn for what's left of his career. And as a Richmond member who wants very much to go to the draft, that's totally fine by me. Again win'/win. Them are hardly fighting words I would have thought? :)

I haven't come in here posting any 'ridiculous trade hypotheticals' or any hypotheticals' for that matter in regards to Mitchell. So I'm not sure what you are talking about? I just simply stated that if you rate him as highly as you seem to you should be pleased that so many others don't. That he's yours in 2022 and he can keep on doing what he does best for Hawthorn for what's left of his career. And as a Richmond member who wants very much to go to the draft, that's totally fine by me. Again win'/win. Them are hardly fighting words I would have thought? :)
Yeah fair enough. 👍

That's reasonable, personally I want our midfield to have a shake up but I'm not sold on the idea of selling off our best asset for unders to get that done. So I am in the camp that unless we get something substantial he needs to stay and be held to his contact.

Opposition coaches are quite content to have him run around and pad the stats column.

This is simply not true.

The truth is, most sides do not regularly tag. These days, most coaches want to 'stick to their structures' and 'back their team in' to win without dedicated tagging.

For the sides that do deploy taggers and run with players, Mitchell invariably cops that tag. In fact, aside from OMeara once in a purple patch, Mitchell is the only Hawthorn player to be tagged since his arrival in 2017.

The reason people assume he is not tagged is because he seems to rack up the ball regardless (and people have checked the stat sheet instead of watching the game). Unlike Neale (who can be effectively curtailed with a tag), Mitchell just ends up getting 30 instead of 35-40+.

In fact, the only time this season a tag has had an affect on Mitchell was against Freo in Round 4. Freo were by far the better side and kicked out to a 6 goal lead early before Mitchell dragged his side back in it with 18 disposals and a goal in a quarter (much like Round 1 when a similar effort saw Mitchell drag Hawthorn back from 40 points down to a 1 point win). Longmuir put Brayshaw on Mitchell in the last quarter and it worked with Freo holding on and Mitchell only having 4-5 touches. Brayshaw was good in the last (and shook Worpel who was giving him attention). Freo would have thrashed us that day if not for Mitchell though as that was our worst period of the season.

No disagreement he had a better year given Neale's injury woes. He doesn't have more impact as a player. Opposition coaches are quite content to have him run around and pad the stats column.
You are wrong. Like very and you say injury woes like Titch didn’t have shoulder surgery in the off season which affected him pre bye. Hasn’t had a full pre season since 2018.

I understand the simping for Tom, but clubs go nowhere while they have seagulls like Mitchell and Aaron Hall on their lists.

You are wrong. Like very and you say injury woes like Titch didn’t have shoulder surgery in the off season which affected him pre bye. Hasn’t had a full pre season since 2018.
Other than the leg break in 2019, what else affected his pre-season? Surely 2020 and 2021 preseasons should’ve been fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His shoulder
He did his shoulder in the 1st contest of the 2020 season. I think 2020 preseason was still impacted due to his leg as there was doubt on him playing round 1
2021 was his shoulder again a few weeks out there was doubt about him playing round 1

I understand the simping for Tom, but clubs go nowhere while they have seagulls like Mitchell and Aaron Hall on their lists.

'Seagull' who has the 7th highest contested possession average in the league over his career.

For those playing at home, that is higher than Bontempelli, Macrae, Petracca, Dusty, Pendlebury, Selwood, Wines, Boak, Steele, Walsh, etc, etc.

But yeah, let's lump him in with Aaron Hall who is not in the top 200.

Edit: Mitchell is also top 10 for average career tackles. The only other player top 10 in both is Clayton Oliver (Aaron Hall again not top 200).

But yeah, total seagull :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On a open market Neale would be worth more simply because he has won a Brownlow more recently and the perception that Mitchell is a stat padder (which he can be at times)

Do coaches think Mitchell is a stat padder? Or are you suggesting list managers value players based on what Big Footy thinks?

Wow. This thread has gone downhill fast.

So we’re going to get a second round Pick for the most prolific ball winner in the game, AND only if we pay his salary. 🤪

Unsubscribed.

And list managers determine value based on Big Footy vibe on possession impact, not on coach ratings or their own metrics.

Bad comparison.... They are only comparable slightly in uncontested possession, with Mitchell dwarfing him in Contested possession, Tackles, Centre and Stoppage Clearances and Score Involvements but Hall has Metres gained covered.

A better comparison is Lachie Neale where both have similar Contested and Uncontested possessions, Centre Clearances and Score Involvments. With Mitchell ahead in Tackles and Metres gained and Neale ahead in Stoppage Clearances.

Hawks fans - unbelievable player so underrated, top this in this, this in this.

Also Hawks fans - trade?
I tried to address this earlier in my post #630. Our midfield needs a shake up because the collective don't work as a unit. With the speculation through the media that Richmond are interested Ive became invested in this discussion.

I do not want to see hawthorn trade him for the sake of trading him only if it's an offer to good to refuse, which is what Sam Edmund reported today on SEN regards hawthorns stance.

Also Hawks fans - trade?

We won't be seriously competing for another 3 or so seasons and Titch is 28. It's a win/win/win scenario:

Hawks - Get another pick i.e. talented kid to add to the young group of Day, DGB, CJ etc. more in line with our next window

Insert other team getting Mitchell (Blues, Lions, Tigers) - Get an A grade ball winner to help a team in their flag window get stronger

Mitchell - gets to go to a team closer to a flag than Hawthorn are currently

Also Hawks fans - trade?
Almost like list management is about more than just having some good players

Also judging from the reaction on the Hawks board most seem to want to keep him.

On a open market Neale would be worth more simply because he has won a Brownlow more recently and the perception that Mitchell is a stat padder (which he can be at times)

I also have Neale as more likely to recapture his best form than Mitchell given Neale was clearly hobbled at times this year.

Back