Preview Tom Mitchell out for 2019 with broken leg

stfan

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ex Hawthorn player told me today it's a Brown type break will be 18 months.
Might be the case if it is a spiral fracture which tend to be nasty.

A girl I know did a spiral fracture of her leg when she twisted quickly, but her foot was pinned. Very slow healing and a massive pins to hold things in place. Took her ages to recover.

The reports seem to indicate that it was a similar torsional break action, and if so the damage could be similarly nasty. Much worse (as the damage goes up the bone/s) than a simple clean lateral break/fracture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aeglos

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Everyone remembers when Tim broomhead broke his leg on the goal post round 2. Broke both bones clean through. It’s 10 months later and he isn’t doing anything other than some running on the ground. Even his running doesn’t look completely right. So to say Tom can come back by June or July is a bit unrealistic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As I said, an uncomplicated break, even if it’s got a pin/rod put in it, is ~12 weeks to full weight bearing.
This isn’t a “oh but single player X took longer therefore the science and whole medical profession is wrong”.
If Mitchell isn’t at least doing some weight bearing training by late May/June then his break wasn’t that simple/uncomplicated, and/or there have been complications in his recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Syd FC, Pelicans, Saints
Ratugolea broke his ankle in May, and returned to training on Dec 12th
He returned to play in the VFL on August 25th. He was back training before that. And he broke both the fibula and tibia.

Last edited:
In a paradise of bad dad jokes, beer and sport.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, Traralgon Tyers United
For sure.

Having said that im not reading much glee being expressed. Most acknowledging it as pretty awful
But you and i know there are those people out there. I can't imagine what is going through his head once reality sets in. It's his job after all. But, the hawls are a good, solid club. Clarko will ensure he will be doing something to improve himself.

Socrates2

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure where you got that return date from, but Ratugolea definitely played in Geelong's final VFL match on the 25th of August.
I was at Kardinia Park that game v Carlton when he broke his leg and you could hear him screaming in pain from 200m away
Sorry he did come back in August, this article says badley broken ankle , they thought it was tibia and fibia because of the pain but it was ankle.If you break tibia and fibia it's12 to 18 months.https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...fers-shocking-leg-injury-20180526-p4zhqn.html

Last edited:

Hannabal

Club Legend
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
On the flip side Jason Snell broke his leg and never played again. He was told at 25 he'll never be able to run again.

Let's hope Mitchell's injury is similar to Ratugolea's and he's back within 3-6 months.
Wasn't his injury more like Scully's, as opposed to Mitchell's ?

But your point is valid. Serious injuries will have different outcomes for different players.

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Syd FC, Pelicans, Saints
Wasn't his injury more like Scully's, as opposed to Mitchell's ?

But your point is valid. Serious injuries will have different outcomes for different players.
I'm not sure to be honest.

I also remember Stoneham breaking his leg in 94 and it took him 18 months to recover and he was never the same player again.

All leg breaks have varying recovery dates depending on the severity and the procedure required to fix the break, and also the individual himself.

I'm hoping Mitchell's isn't on the high scale in regards to time spent away from the game and it doesn't hinder him too much on return.

Socrates2

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not sure to be honest.

I also remember Stoneham breaking his leg in 94 and it took him 18 months to recover and he was never the same player again.

All leg breaks have varying recovery dates depending on the severity and the procedure required to fix the break, and also the individual himself.

I'm hoping Mitchell's isn't on the high scale in regards to time spent away from the game and it doesn't hinder him too much on return.
Mitchell wont be the same player when he returns, you can't get back to 100% after an injury like that.He could however get back to 95%.He has to learn how to run again and it is possible one leg will be slightly shorter than the other.

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Destroyed us last year and was the difference between the two sides.
Terrible news and I just can’t see the Hawks playing finals now
Yep its a massive loss. He carried the load as our young mids developed. Now they are thrown in to the deep end.

Hopefully its a few months recovery.

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Syd FC, Pelicans, Saints
Mitchell wont be the same player when he returns, you can't get back to 100% after an injury like that.He could however get back to 95%.He has to learn how to run again and it is possible one leg will be slightly shorter than the other.
It depends on the extent of the injury and the player himself. James Kelly suffered a broken leg in 2004 and came back a much better player. Turned into a star.

Top Bottom