Preview Tom Mitchell out for 2019 with broken leg

Remove this Banner Ad

Never had Hawthorn as a premiership challenger this year anyway so if anything, and this may seem rather strange considering the latest news, it does give the kid a very good opportunity to rest up and get his shoulder perfect right for 2020.
He's a compulsive trainer by all accounts so he will have no issues getting back to 100%.

Tell me I can't.

I have a feeling this is one of those moments of adversity that will absolutely galvanize our playing list, coaching staff and club.

Everyone writing us off might be looking a little foolish 6 months from now.

If Greg Williams played in this era of non- accountability he would have averaged 55 possessions a week. All more damaging.

Best of luck to Tom for a quick recovery
Fair point! Too young so I kind of missed this era but I remember seeing a stat line of Greg having 50+ disposials in a game as well as 4 goals. More damaging no doubt, although averaging 55 is bit much.

Tell me I can't.

I have a feeling this is one of those moments of adversity that will absolutely galvanize our playing list, coaching staff and club.

Everyone writing us off might be looking a little foolish 6 months from now.
I think you need to delve into pragmatism and consider that ToM was the foundation of your midfield in 2018.
2019 is likely to reveal the coach staff and playing list won’t be able to cover his unfortunate absence.

With breaks to both bones in the leg, unfortunately that tends to have ankle implications.

I’m thinking ankle as well.
An uncomplicated mid shaft break would (in theory) mean a 12 week recovery then regaining some conditioning which would put him at a June/July return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t news. The game as a whole seriously suffers when the best players aren't out there. Good luck to him.

Surely the hawks will go looking for a 'ready-made' option and give a state league gun like Grigg or Bolton the chance to resurrect their careers.

IF it's a broken tibula and fibula than you are unfortunately correct... fyfe and Nathan brown good examples... hawks will lose Burgoyne at the end of 2019 and their second best midfielder, Omera still has questions marks over his fitness after failing to finish last season...he really needs to play a full season...really need to hope worpel, howe and cousins can come on and become solid AFL footballers because the Hawks midfield is in for a world of pain over the next few years if they don't.
I'm pretty sure Ratugolea broke both his tibia and fibia in May last year and he made it back to play VFL late in the year.

One soldier goes down another comes in to replace him!!

That is the Hawks unofficial motto. It won them several flags.

As opposed to all the teams that lost a "soldier" who just played out matches with 17 players, thus costing them several flags?

You've included the 2 worst cliches in sport - firstly, they are not "soldiers", they are not being shot at to protect some country's oil interests; secondly, every team replaces a player who gets injured, it's part of the essence of contact sport.

Sucks for Mitchell and for Hawthorn, no doubt, but this thread has turned into a ******* eulogy. The blokes not dead, and to be really frank if you're going to break a tibia, offseason is the "best time" (for lack of a better phrase) to do it, cos there's no pressure on him to return this season. They can make sure the bones are properly reset, he can heal the surrounding joints and muscles without needing to put too much strain on the ankle/foot etc, and he can hopefully come back as good as every in 16 months.

Means they will now carry three major reinjury risks in their midfield. They are cooked. Arrogance of a hyper successful team not thinking you have to rebuild strikes again.

I’m thinking ankle as well.
An uncomplicated mid shaft break would (in theory) mean a 12 week recovery then regaining some conditioning which would put him at a June/July return.

Everyone remembers when Tim broomhead broke his leg on the goal post round 2. Broke both bones clean through. It’s 10 months later and he isn’t doing anything other than some running on the ground. Even his running doesn’t look completely right. So to say Tom can come back by June or July is a bit unrealistic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wright has all but confirmed que is in the rack for him this year, yet I keep hearing posters talking about return dates in 2019. Have I missed anything?

Obviously, would love to see him make a comeback in 2019 but would think it’s pretty much impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back