Preview Tom Mitchell out for 2019 with broken leg

Means they will now carry three major reinjury risks in their midfield. They are cooked. Arrogance of a hyper successful team not thinking you have to rebuild strikes again.
I didnt know a broken leg was a major reinjury risk

andrewb

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I didnt know a broken leg was a major reinjury risk
Rebreaking is not a concern but few come back easily from something like this without a bunch of other challenges. Can’t think of a tib fib break where someone has gotten better, plenty where they got worse

Rebreaking is not a concern but few come back easily from something like this without a bunch of other challenges. Can’t think of a tib fib break where someone has gotten better, plenty where they got worse
But you said we have 3 major reinjury risks in our midfield now

Is it a Nathan Brown broken leg? Or a Nat fyfe - technically broken but I'll still play - broken leg?

Ex Hawthorn player told me today it's a Brown type break will be 18 months.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He could come back and be just as good. The reality is there can be other injuries including stress related injuries and probably they’ll be more likely if he comes back to early. I remember the Nathan Brown open mike episode. I think he came back a bit early he said. Anyway he seems a very hard worker and a very diligent preparer.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

You’d probably say Voss was better. Came back and won 3 B&Fs, 4 AAs and 2 AFLPA MVPs.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
As opposed to all the teams that lost a "soldier" who just played out matches with 17 players, thus costing them several flags?

You've included the 2 worst cliches in sport - firstly, they are not "soldiers", they are not being shot at to protect some country's oil interests; secondly, every team replaces a player who gets injured, it's part of the essence of contact sport.

Sucks for Mitchell and for Hawthorn, no doubt, but this thread has turned into a ******* eulogy. The blokes not dead, and to be really frank if you're going to break a tibia, offseason is the "best time" (for lack of a better phrase) to do it, cos there's no pressure on him to return this season. They can make sure the bones are properly reset, he can heal the surrounding joints and muscles without needing to put too much strain on the ankle/foot etc, and he can hopefully come back as good as every in 16 months.

Its a motto used by the Hawks brand for some time. Thats the point and the only point.

No need to be a dick. And you are!

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Jaeger O'Meara needs a big season

Definitely otherwise it will be Smith and Burgoyne carrying the whole team. But then I forget they have Scully and Wingard who if they could combine their powers into one, would be a better duo than Mitchell/Omeara

Last edited:
Definitely otherwise it will be Smith and Burgoyne carrying the whole team. But then I forget they have Scully and Wingard who if they could combine their powers into one, would be a better duo than Mitchell/Omeara
If they combined into one how could they be a duo at all?

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Its a motto used by the Hawks brand for some time. Thats the point and the only point.

No need to be a dick. And you are!

It's a ******* stupid motto, and it's bullshit that supporters of other teams needn't buy into.

As I said, it's not like other teams play with 17 when a player gets injured. Every friggen team is "next man up"!

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ex Hawthorn player told me today it's a Brown type break will be 18 months.

Might be the case if it is a spiral fracture which tend to be nasty.

A girl I know did a spiral fracture of her leg when she twisted quickly, but her foot was pinned. Very slow healing and a massive pins to hold things in place. Took her ages to recover.

The reports seem to indicate that it was a similar torsional break action, and if so the damage could be similarly nasty. Much worse (as the damage goes up the bone/s) than a simple clean lateral break/fracture.

Back