Preview Tom Mitchell out for 2019 with broken leg

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone remembers when Tim broomhead broke his leg on the goal post round 2. Broke both bones clean through. It’s 10 months later and he isn’t doing anything other than some running on the ground. Even his running doesn’t look completely right. So to say Tom can come back by June or July is a bit unrealistic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As I said, an uncomplicated break, even if it’s got a pin/rod put in it, is ~12 weeks to full weight bearing.
This isn’t a “oh but single player X took longer therefore the science and whole medical profession is wrong”.
If Mitchell isn’t at least doing some weight bearing training by late May/June then his break wasn’t that simple/uncomplicated, and/or there have been complications in his recovery.

Ratugolea broke his ankle in May, and returned to training on Dec 12th
He returned to play in the VFL on August 25th. He was back training before that. And he broke both the fibula and tibia.

Last edited:
For sure.

Having said that im not reading much glee being expressed. Most acknowledging it as pretty awful

But you and i know there are those people out there. I can't imagine what is going through his head once reality sets in. It's his job after all. But, the hawls are a good, solid club. Clarko will ensure he will be doing something to improve himself.

On the flip side Jason Snell broke his leg and never played again. He was told at 25 he'll never be able to run again.

Let's hope Mitchell's injury is similar to Ratugolea's and he's back within 3-6 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where you got that return date from, but Ratugolea definitely played in Geelong's final VFL match on the 25th of August.
I was at Kardinia Park that game v Carlton when he broke his leg and you could hear him screaming in pain from 200m away
Sorry he did come back in August, this article says badley broken ankle , they thought it was tibia and fibia because of the pain but it was ankle.If you break tibia and fibia it's12 to 18 months.https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...fers-shocking-leg-injury-20180526-p4zhqn.html

Last edited:
On the flip side Jason Snell broke his leg and never played again. He was told at 25 he'll never be able to run again.

Let's hope Mitchell's injury is similar to Ratugolea's and he's back within 3-6 months.
Wasn't his injury more like Scully's, as opposed to Mitchell's ?

But your point is valid. Serious injuries will have different outcomes for different players.

Wasn't his injury more like Scully's, as opposed to Mitchell's ?

But your point is valid. Serious injuries will have different outcomes for different players.

I'm not sure to be honest.

I also remember Stoneham breaking his leg in 94 and it took him 18 months to recover and he was never the same player again.

All leg breaks have varying recovery dates depending on the severity and the procedure required to fix the break, and also the individual himself.

I'm hoping Mitchell's isn't on the high scale in regards to time spent away from the game and it doesn't hinder him too much on return.

I'm not sure to be honest.

I also remember Stoneham breaking his leg in 94 and it took him 18 months to recover and he was never the same player again.

All leg breaks have varying recovery dates depending on the severity and the procedure required to fix the break, and also the individual himself.

I'm hoping Mitchell's isn't on the high scale in regards to time spent away from the game and it doesn't hinder him too much on return.
Mitchell wont be the same player when he returns, you can't get back to 100% after an injury like that.He could however get back to 95%.He has to learn how to run again and it is possible one leg will be slightly shorter than the other.

Mitchell wont be the same player when he returns, you can't get back to 100% after an injury like that.He could however get back to 95%.He has to learn how to run again and it is possible one leg will be slightly shorter than the other.
It depends on the extent of the injury and the player himself. James Kelly suffered a broken leg in 2004 and came back a much better player. Turned into a star.

If it is a small positive he is not an explosive player. So hopefully wont affect him in the long run. What on earth caused this ?

If your blessed with natural athleticism, and you suffer a terrible injury like this, you at least have a chance of playing out an extensive career but if your not an athletic type, you suffer far more.

Took Fyfe two years to fully recover from that broken leg.

N Brown was a shadow of him self when he finally did return.

In his 2005 season, including the game he broke his leg, Brown was going at 3.5 goals a game and 20+ touches...

- Kicking as many as goal-leader that season Fraser Gehrig.
- Getting as much ball as Simon Black, Camporeale, Harvey, Voss

and carried Richmond to 7-2. Unlucky to get cut down at his middle of his prime.

I hope Mitchell has a better recovery and get back to his best form

Last edited:
N Brown was a shadow of him self when he finally did return.

In his 2005 season, including the game he broke his leg, Brown was going at 3.5 goals a game and 20+ touches... and carried Richmond to 7-2. Kicking as many as goal-leader that season Fraser Gehrig. Getting as much ba;l as Simon Black, Camporeale, Harvey, Voss

Unlucky to get cut down at his middle of his prime.

I hope Mitchell has a better recovery and get back to his best form

That was a real footballing shame. Brown was playing like a superstar and Richmond looked like a genuine top 4 team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back