Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CaptainChardonnay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2009
In the shadows of the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
The stuff I read in the media at the time suggested the place simply wasn't profitable to start with, but yes, getting out did sound like a good business move. My point was that this is exactly what it was, rather than a moral high ground attempt to avoid pokie venues because they are evil, so personally I wouldn't be so quick to base my signature around a 'we are not involved in pokies' theme when the truth is "our pokie involvement failed'. Good on Sydney for not getting back into them though. I wish my own club made a stronger stance in this area (while at the same time , hypocritically enjoying the financial stability it has brought the club).

It wasn't a great earner for us but still provided a venue and some income. It had its good points. But when it became clear that it was going to hurt the club financially, they cashed out. They could of taken their pokies elsewhere but opted out entirely.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It wasn't a great earner for us but still provided a venue and some income. It had its good points. But when it became clear that it was going to hurt the club financially, they cashed out. They could of taken their pokies elsewhere but opted out entirely.

Yes, but based on reports at the time it wasn't really providing income, and was costing more than it was bringing in. The implications were that running an AFL themed pokie venue in an NRL heartland made it difficult to turn a profit. This was a few years ago now, and I'd hope the AFL profile has grown since then, so perhaps it might work now, but it didn't sound like it was viable at that time.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
If Mitchell is worth 14 plus some pick swaps then it does set the price for O'Meara to some extent. Id think Mayne compo + 2017 1st round pick would be the best they'll do.

It remains to be seen what the pick swaps are, but I think you are close to the mark

Obviously depends on GC gambling on where you finish next year

That Mayne compo is like 24 crt gold to you blokes, I hope you bank that and thank us in the future ;)

It remains to be seen what the pick swaps are, but I think you are close to the mark

Obviously depends on GC gambling on where you finish next year

That Mayne compo is like 24 crt gold to you blokes, I hope you bank that and thank us in the future ;)

Who'd have thought Freo would benefit from Chris Mayne.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Good get for Hawthorn. Pick 14 is under value but when someone nominates a specific club that's often the outcome.

Swings and roundabouts. We have gotten players for under and lost players for under. At least the deal was done swiftly and we call move on.

Hope we use pick 14 well but with out first round drafting history I won't hold my breath...

Good get for Hawthorn. Pick 14 is under value but when someone nominates a specific club that's often the outcome.

Swings and roundabouts. We have gotten players for under and lost players for under. At least the deal was done swiftly and we call move on.

Hope we use pick 14 well but with out first round drafting history I won't hold my breath...

More than just pick 14 too obv

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Mitchell is worth 14 plus some pick swaps then it does set the price for O'Meara to some extent.

I disagree because sydneys situation (and therefore what they are willing to accept) is very different to gold coast.

Sydney had no reason to drive a hard bargain, potentially losing mitchell for nothing while searching for the very best deal.

Gold Coast on the other hand have EVERY reason to drive a hard bargain, even if it means losing jaeger for donuts.

Things don't cost what they cost. (ie jaeger for instance doesn't have some magical set value regardless of the clubs involved)

Things cost what people are willing to pay for them, and what people are willing to sell them for.
(ie jaegers value is largely determined by the clubs involved, not so much himself as a player)

LukeHodge15

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
HFC.LFC.LAL.LAD.SF49.BB
I disagree because sydneys situation (and therefore what they are willing to accept) is very different to gold coast.

Sydney had no reason to drive a hard bargain, potentially losing mitchell for nothing while searching for the very best deal.

Gold Coast on the other hand have EVERY reason to drive a hard bargain, even if it means losing jaeger for donuts.

Things don't cost what they cost. (ie jaeger for instance doesn't have some magical set value regardless of the clubs involved)

Things cost what people are willing to pay for them, and what people are willing to sell them for.
(ie jaegers value is largely determined by the clubs involved, not so much himself as a player)

Off course GC have EVERY reason to walk him to preseason draft and get Donuts for him. Real smart business that would be. U go broke very quickly being that stupid

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Off course GC have EVERY reason to walk him to preseason draft and get Donuts for him. Real smart business that would be. U go broke very quickly being that stupid

Have you not seen the draft picks they have?

You really think they are going to care about missing out on hawthorns 2017 first rounder?

They wont lose any sleep over it.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Hawthorn and Sydney showing the amateurs how to get deals done. If more clubs were like this we'd get the 50 trades done this trade period and Australia would have a more productive workforce over the next week and a bit.
Bingo.

Now we will have the same Nuffies who said "The Hawks will not get Tom Mitchell for pick 14 the Hawks and their supporters are delusional"

Then the Hawks go Bang........ Job done.

Now we have to put up with the "How are the Hawks going to get JOM because they will obviously try to rip off the GCS"

Then the Hawks will go bang............ then it will be the "How the hell did they do that"

It is because they know how to get this trade stuff done and they will hold the GCS hand and guide them through it.

The sooner the other clubs learn from the Hawks,Swans and Geelong the better this whole trade thing will work.

Last edited:

JeddaB

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2008
The burbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have you not seen the draft picks they have?

You really think they are going to care about missing out on hawthorns 2017 first rounder?

They wont lose any sleep over it.
Yep the AFL is going to allow this.
GCS are still one of their babies. They will absolutely put pressure on GCS to get something in return for JOM. Now I'm not saying they will tell GCS to bend over, but they will tell them to be realistic here. That I am absolutely certain on.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep the AFL is going to allow this.
GCS are still one of their babies. They will absolutely put pressure on GCS to get something in return for JOM. Now I'm not saying they will tell GCS to bend over, but they will tell them to be realistic here. That I am absolutely certain on.

You mean like how the AFL forced gws (their other baby) to accept a deal for McCarthy last year?

Last edited:
May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bingo.

Now we will have the same Nuffies who said "The Hawks will not get Tom Mitchell for pick 14 the Hawks and their supporters are delusional"

Now we have to put up with the "How are the Hawks going to get JOM because they will obviously try to rip off the GCS"

Then the Hawks will go bang............ then it will be the "How the hell did they do that"

It is because they know how to get this trade stuff done and they will hold the GCS hand and guide them through it.

The sooner the other clubs learn from the Hawks,Swans and Geelong the better this whole trade thing will work.

The mitchell trade didn't work smoothly because hawthorn are amazing, get your hand off it.

It worked smoothly because the club they were dealing with had no motivation to let it drag out in search of the very best deal.
There was no point in them risking losing mitchell for nothing.

GC are very happy to hold out for the very best deal, so that's what they'll do.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
Bingo.

What a load of condescending claptrap, " hold the GCS hand and guide them through it. "

Has to be a troll

It's happening.
S Mitchel.
Brad Hill.
If you want JOM there will be more to go!
Brad hill is going home to play with his brother. He requested the move and we accommodated him at personal expense pick 23? because it was due to family

Back