Traded Tom Mitchell [traded to Hawthorn with pick 57 for pick 14 & 52]

Who won this trade?

• Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

a) unlike every other club (bar gws), GC can afford to miss out on say hawthorns 2017 1st rounder as compo for jaeger and it will be water off a ducks back.
They wont miss it at all.
This is not tom scully walking out on a demons desperate for draft picks. They literally have too many top draft picks to use already.

b) they already have that impression because in situations like this they have always rolled over and accepted scraps.
Maybe it's time for a different approach?

c) Lots of clubs make the choice to be 'hard to deal with'. Surely GC are allowed to do this if they want.

GCS have no future picks in 2017 yet, next years first SHOULD have been attractive
Irrelevant now that Hawthorn have traded for 10 this year. St Kilda won't be complaining

Presumably knew early on that 14 was not going to help get O'Meara so had to be used for Titch and expected 2017 to be of value to GCS

GWS have changed the trade landscape completely with their stockpiling of draft picks, most of the other clubs have not realized that the traditional rebuild through the draft is no longer workable
Hawthorn have sold the farm for Mitchell and O'Meara
I certainly hope they know what they are doing.

Yeah this approach they have taken would be risky (but worth it) if we were talking about a jaeger omeara who had never injured his knees.

The fact that we are discussing it involving a jaeger who hasn't played in 2 years is off the charts risky.

The pressure and focus on the hawks medics will be incredible.

I've mentioned this in this thread before, but that kind of thinking is insane. The message that sends to players outside the club is "never come here, because we are the kind of club that will be spiteful and vindictive if you ever want to leave". As you've probably noticed, GC have trouble convincing players to come to the club (despite the beautiful beaches, sunny climate, and cheap real estate). They need to fix that, and treating their players like pawns in a chess game doesn't help, it only hurts.
It's not a long term strategy but they need to stem the flow of youngsters leaving. Once they do that, they can focus on other methods of retention. But they don't want a reputation as a feeder club that can be bent over when players want to leave either.

GCS have no future picks in 2017 yet, next years first SHOULD have been attractive
Irrelevant now that Hawthorn have traded for 10 this year. St Kilda won't be complaining

Presumably knew early on that 14 was not going to help get O'Meara so had to be used for Titch and expected 2017 to be of value to GCS

GWS have changed the trade landscape completely with their stockpiling of draft picks, most of the other clubs have not realized that the traditional rebuild through the draft is no longer workable
Hawks have a very specific deficiencies. That makes it easier to trade. Think of it this way. With all of the draft picks we have given away (including future 10). Statistics would say we would in no way get a Titch or JOM equivalent. At this stage and next year our depth of young players is not an issue so why not got for gold now? Worst case scenario is we drop down the ladder. Such as what we would have done anyway.

I've mentioned this in this thread before, but that kind of thinking is insane. The message that sends to players outside the club is "never come here, because we are the kind of club that will be spiteful and vindictive if you ever want to leave".

Well, I'm pretty sure that players in the draft don't choose where they end up. That is the point of the draft.

But I agree that it isn't the way a club should act. It's swings and roundabouts, some players will want to leave, some will want to leave other clubs to join yours. It all evens out in the end.

Virtually gone for only pick 14.
Not good list management Swans.
Looks like the cap squeeze was on at Swans. The inclusion of Buddy and Tippett I think has been felt and Mitchell they let go knowing their midfield can cope better considering the likes of Mills and Heeney are on the way up. All in all could not afford to pay Mitchell what he was worth and now gone I am reading as the wash up.
Good deal for Hawks.

Where did the Hawks get Pick 14 from? Was it last year? Was reading the tracker and was confused by that one.

Their original draft position in 2016. Was traded for Tom Mitchell (severe unders, but both clubs do this- Syd and Haw are excellent traders)

Virtually gone for only pick 14.
Not good list management Swans.
Looks like the cap squeeze was on at Swans. The inclusion of Buddy and Tippett I think has been felt and Mitchell they let go knowing their midfield can cope better considering the likes of Mills and Heeney are on the way up. All in all could not afford to pay Mitchell what he was worth and now gone I am reading as the wash up.
Good deal for Hawks.

End of the day I'll back our recruiting. We have been fortunate to land Heeney and Mills for relative bargains so taking 14 isn't too awful.

This draft is so even anyway from 10-25 really. I'm happy to have 2 picks in that region where we can specifically target our area of weakness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems really high for where they finished. Is Top 15 standard for a 4th to 6th finisher?

18th team gets first pick.
Premiers gets 18th pick and runners up 17th pick.
Is it really such a surprise that Hawks that were eliminated in straight sets in finals and finish officially 5th for season should have held pick 14 before they traded it ?
:rolleyes:

18th team gets first pick.
Premiers gets 18th pick and runners up 17th pick.
Is it really such a surprise that Hawks that were eliminated in straight sets in finals and finish officially 5th for season should have held pick 14 ?
:rolleyes:

I'm a little surprised yes, but that is why I am asking the question so I can find out. Is there any reason that you are being such a flog?

Not only do GC have enough draft picks that they can afford to lose JOM for nothing, they need to send a message to the players and other clubs. They are losing too many players and it has to stop. Forcing someone into the draft where they could end up in a completely different state may be just what they need to do to shore up their own internal circumstances.

FFS GWS have lost more players than Gold Coast, reckon your being really melodramatic, there's no Brisbane style exodus there,

FFS GWS have lost more players than Gold Coast, reckon your being really melodramatic, there's no Brisbane style exodus there,
GWS as a rule have not lost core players of their initial set up for bargain basement price.
Most of GWS players have left on their managements trading terms.
Dom Tyson for virtually pick 3.
Jaksch for virtually pick 7.
Taylor Adams for Heath Shaw.
Tom Boyd for Ryan Griffen and pick 6.
Adam Treloar for bunch of good picks.
Plus fringe players for reasonable deals.
Cam McCarthy is only one that comes straight to mind of lost not on their terms.

Gold Coast on other had have lost Charlie Dixon, Harley Bennell and Zac Smith that were core players to their initial set up well below where they were considered in terms of actual talent. Some others that escape my mind right now but sure there were one or two others that others club gave little back. Maybe Josh Caddy is one they lost that got what he was worth back.
Prestia, O'Meara and David Swallow all look like being lost below value like Bennell. Virtually a list management disaster to have such a talented young core midfield they hoped to be a premiership midfield and all gone so soon, for so little.

GWS as a rule have not lost core players of their initial set up for bargain basement price.
Most of GWS players have left on their managements trading terms.
Dom Tyson for virtually pick 3.
Jaksch for virtually pick 7.
Taylor Adams for Heath Shaw.
Tom Boyd for Ryan Griffen and pick 6.
Adam Treloar for bunch of good picks.
Plus fringe players for reasonable deals.
Cam McCarthy is only one that comes straight to mind of lost not on their terms.

Gold Coast on other had have lost Charlie Dixon, Harley Bennell and Zac Smith that were core players to their initial set up well below where they were considered in terms of actual talent. Some others that escape my mind right now but sure there were one or two others that others club gave little back. Maybe Josh Caddy is one they lost that got what he was worth back.
Prestia, O'Meara and David Swallow all look like being lost below value like Bennell. Virtually a list management disaster to have such a talented young core midfield they hoped to be a premiership midfield and all gone so soon, for so little.

Well to be fair, The Suns pretty much pushed out Bennell for obvious reasons, and Dixon leaving was probably a good thing, really made Tom Lynch thrive as an elite foward last season, plus more opportunity for 2 metre Peter.

The situation at The Suns is nowhere as dire as it seems, reckon they can play finals within 2 years, injuries is their biggest problem as a footy club right now, they need a decent medical staff, their injury toll in the past two seasons has been horrendus

The situation at The Suns is nowhere as dire as it seems,

It is dire in terms of losing players for not much but because they had such good concessions from start like GWS they still will have a good list for a number of years. The problem I see is they should have best list by now and only have GWS close to them. Instead they are going backwards in list resources in relative sense more than any other club in recent times.
Only our club comes close in the list resources lost for not much, so regularly in recent 4 or 5 years.
It will get dire if this keep up for Gold Coast. They need to nip it in bud now.

Back