Tom Mitchell - Why the hype?

Remove this Banner Ad

8Eyes

Debutant
May 10, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why do so many people, especially in the media, peddle the notion that this guy is one of the best in the competition? For all the disposals he gets, he sure isn't damaging with them. Two weeks in a row he's kicking straight-forward set shots out on the full. Also I don't think I've ever seen a player do as many backwards handballs as he does.

Why do so many people, especially in the media, peddle the notion that this guy is one of the best in the competition? For all the disposals he gets, he sure isn't damaging with them. Two weeks in a row he's kicking straight-forward set shots out on the full. Also I don't think I've ever seen a player do as many backwards handballs as he does.

He is unfairly criticised. There was a few games there where he was extremely damaging. Heck he cleaned up against my team. But I also agree that there are games where he gets a lot of the ball but doesn’t seem like he does much. Today he had 28 for instance but I thought there were probably half a dozen hawk players who were clearly better.

He is an upgrade on Priddis.

Quicker, better kick, maybe not as good with hands.

Will probs win a Brownlow if Hawthorn get into finals contention. Very good player.

You know a players good when his bad games are 28 possessions. The OP has watched his only Hawthorn game this year and has piped up.

I agree it wasnt his best game, but it has no reflection of his year so far, in which hes easily been in the top 5 or 6 mids in the comp

Crap thread.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorn will never be a great team with him leading their mids. A poor mans Priddis

Mitchell is a extractor he is a pure inside mid he lacks support at Hawthorn, JOM would of been the perfect catalyst but sadly knee injuries have robbed him of any pace.

Mitchell worth increases greatly if Hawthorn had a Dangerfield or Martin receiving quick handballs in close and bursting away for a clearance.

At his best he's clearly more than an accumulator. Early season was damaging with his disposals as well as accumulating heaps. Has been tagged since then which has meant his impact is down, but he's still class.

You know a players good when his bad games are 28 possessions. The OP has watched his only Hawthorn game this year and has piped up.

I agree it wasnt his best game, but it has no reflection of his year so far, in which hes easily been in the top 5 or 6 mids in the comp

Crap thread.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Speaking like the blind fan you are.

If you read my post, I highlighted two weeks in a row he's kicking set shots out on the full, so yes, I did see the Brisbane game, and for all his 46 touches, he was extremely mediocre.

That's the point too: a high amount of touches doesn't equate to good performance. Gary Ablett used to get a high amount of touches too, but he could be extremely damaging with them.

Give me a player like Pendlebury over Mitchell every day of the week. He might not get as much of the ball, but he's a far better kick, far better handball, and far more intelligent with the ball in his hands.

He wasn't very good today, racked up most across half back.

But it's disingenuous to say he's poor.

He has had a quality season - sure he's not Fyfe or Dusty - but he can be effective all the same.
I didn't say he was poor. I just don't think he's a top 10 player in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable ability to find the footy. Ball creativity and usage not as good. Not sure why an Adelaide fan is starting this thread today.
As for the OOF, was from outside 50. Attempting the shot was he error. Plenty of expert forwards missed far easier ones this weekend at important times from far closer.

Nathan Buckley likes this.

Unbelievable ability to find the footy. Ball creativity and usage not as good. Not sure why an Adelaide fan is starting this thread today.
As for the OOF, was from outside 50. Attempting the shot was he error. Plenty of expert forwards missed far easier ones this weekend at important times from far closer.
He marked the ball 5m inside the 50 line. Most AFL players should at very least post a score from that no matter what their role or position.

Have been saying since the beginning of the season, he racks up touches, will probably win a Brownlow because umps can be blinded by numbers, but doesn't do enough with the ball. Needs 50 touches to have the impact someone like Fyfe can have with high 20s. A 20 plus possession game from him can be downright average.

Have been saying since the beginning of the season, he racks up touches, will probably win a Brownlow because umps can be blinded by numbers.

Let's hope not... Sidebottom deserves it up to this point. A superior footballer.

Racks up a ton of touches for minimal impact. Better player than dusty this year though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back