Analysis Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure Mitchell is the messiah. There I said it. (At Easter time and all)

Who does he replace ?
Pretty much anyone, because he wins more clearances and contested possessions than all but 3, and in his last game before being dropped he outperformed almost every single one of them. So take your pick, there's plenty.

I'm not sure Mitchell is the messiah. There I said it. (At Easter time and all)

Who does he replace ?

I will let you take the credit for that summation mate but I don't know how many times I have said this.
He is far from it and with all the angst over him not getting a game last year we are now a year down the track and they still don't see him best 22. Do you think there is a message in that ???? He is simply not good enough to be in our best 22 at the moment according to blokes given the responsibility of picking that 22 and he is going to be pushing s**t up hill with McGlynn and McVeigh to return. He has some great strengths but equally strong weaknesses.

Don't forget we all melted down this time last year when O'Keefe wasn't named in the original side to take on LWS. He played in the end but it turned out to be a sign of things to come. I still think Mitchell will get a chance at some stage but maybe Horse knows what he's doing.

Don't forget we all melted down this time last year when O'Keefe wasn't named in the original side to take on LWS. He played in the end but it turned out to be a sign of things to come. I still think Mitchell will get a chance at some stage but maybe Horse knows what he's doing.
No, he doesn't. If someone has that sort of trade value and you don't rate him, trade him and get a good return.

No, he doesn't. If someone has that sort of trade value and you don't rate him, trade him and get a good return.

Whoa that's an awfully big presumption to make. Just because he isn't in the best 22 at the moment doesn't mean he doesn't figure in their long term plans. For all we know maybe they did offer him up as part of a deal but the trade ban put an end to whatever they were planning.

Whoa that's an awfully big presumption to make. Just because he isn't in the best 22 at the moment doesn't mean he doesn't figure in their long term plans. For all we know maybe they did offer him up as part of a deal but the trade ban put an end to whatever they were planning.
1) It isn't that they don't see him in the best 22, they don't see him in the best 25. McPoint and McGlynn aren't named.

2) 'Long term plans' would suggest he is being groomed to replace an ageing midfielder. There aren't any in that team.

Surely he's too valuable, both on salary and trade currency, to be kept if hes outside the best 25. He could be traded for a player they actually rate, or a draft pick for academy bidding purposes.

Leaving most of the below to one side and I agree with most of it
1) It isn't that they don't see him in the best 22, they don't see him in the best 25. McPoint and McGlynn aren't named.

2) 'Long term plans' would suggest he is being groomed to replace an ageing midfielder. There aren't any in that team.

Surely he's too valuable, both on salary and trade currency, to be kept if hes outside the best 25. He could be traded for a player they actually rate, or a draft pick for academy bidding purposes.

It's just wrong to waste a guys career. If he could get a run somewhere else and is fourth choice inside midfielder at the swans then I say be fair to him.

It's just wrong to waste a guys career. If he could get a run somewhere else and is fourth choice inside midfielder at the swans then I say be fair to him.

Agree, and yes we can't rule it out as a possibility, look at Kennedy's history. I just think his position will become clearer in the coming weeks, just my view. Let's see how many games he gets in the first half of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, and yes we can't rule it out as a possibility, look at Kennedy's history. I just think his position will become clearer in the coming weeks, just my view. Let's see how many games he gets in the first half of the season.
If he isn't a regular by maybe round 9-12, he won't be in Sydney colours much longer, which is sad. But maybe Horse is going for match ups and if some mids don't perform, Mitchell will come in

PS, 5K ;) I swear I live on this forum ahah

This whinging over Mitchell when he was pathetic in the trials? Maybe he should actually play well when there is a position up for grabs..

Mitchell played no where near his best positions during the NAB Cup. He was almost never sited anywhere near the centre clearances. It would be like playing Kennedy in the ruck in the NAB Cup, him failing at that role and then us not selecting him for round 1 because of his poor NAB Cup form.

Last game he played in a losing side Mitchell got 29 disposals and 13 tackles.
The Grand Final showed that kind of defensive work rate has no place in the game plan

This whinging over Mitchell when he was pathetic in the trials? Maybe he should actually play well when there is a position up for grabs..

With all the chances he got

And why does the rule not apply to others

Mitchell played no where near his best positions during the NAB Cup. He was almost never sited anywhere near the centre clearances. It would be like playing Kennedy in the ruck in the NAB Cup, him failing at that role and then us not selecting him for round 1 because of his poor NAB Cup form.

Newsflash he won't be playing as a genuine inside mid with JPK and Parker so he needs to show versatility

Remove this Banner Ad

Back