Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

It is laughably, but predictably, inconsistent.

Yeah. It's far from the worst action on a field but by the same token it's fair to argue that an elbow at someone's head while they're not even shaping up to you isn't exactly an action that we need to enshrine in the game.

There was nothing surer than a trumped up junk charge coming Mitchell’s way to let him play.

"Ordinarily the impact (to Goldstein) would have been below the force required to constitute a reportable offence, but I took into account in this particular case the early season form of the transgressor, and in this instance the potential brownlow implications was a bigger factor than whether the action had the potential to cause a more serious injury” Christian said.
You made that up. Surely?

No. Just No.

How do you adjudicate intent? His intent was likely to elbow the shoulder but it slipped up high. How do you adjudicate his intended impact?
Players make decisions in split seconds and now we want to have a panel dissect what their intentions were?
Lets just deal with the facts. Mitchell tried to elbow a player who is much taller than him off the ball. It slipped high, there was free for high contact and it resulted in a goal. That really should be the end of it.
You moron. How did he ‘accidentally’ slip up Goldsteins shoulder to his head, a bloke nearly a foot taller than him? He meant to hit the head and should have been rubbed out a week. The MRP is an utter joke.

They should be adjudicating intent over outcome. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Yeah. It's far from the worst action on a field but by the same token it's fair to argue that an elbow at someone's head while they're not even shaping up to you isn't exactly an action that we need to enshrine in the game.
The most pertinent point being Chriso has already clarified his stance on elbows to the head, with his Rd1 explanation.

Christian also said that in grading Cox's action he had been mindful of its potentially serious nature.

"Ordinarily the impact (to Howe) would have been below the force required to constitute a reportable offence, but we took into account in this particular case that the action had the potential to cause a more serious injury," Christian said.

What changed?

Why was that particular low impact intentional elbow to the head more serious?

I retract my words. He seriously injured him with an illegal move that would have resulted in the suspension of a player who wasn’t lining up for the grand final, especially one who was on two strikes. His actions contributed to Shiel’s concussion but did not immediately knock him out. You are correct when it comes to being knocked out. As for the point of my argument about being let off, I assume you agree if your only point is a pedantic one about the timing of his withdrawal from the game.
You should stop posting mate, I think you’re a bit out of your element here

Which is bullshit.

Elbow projected upwards
Some effort to get the best player on the ground in the head who's 20 cm taller than you off the ball

No intent?
Gonna laugh when under 14s do it
Laugh even more when someone gets a elbow to the temple
Role model should have got at least 1

Aren't these sort of instances the reason why the fine system was bought in? Stupid acts that ultimately don't injure anyone, give him a fine and move on.

Had he knocked him out, or injured Goldy then sure, give him 3. But whether people like it or not, the outcome absolutely should determine the punishment.
So explain why Graham gets a week and Mitchell doesn’t? That’s the issue here

The AFL dont have to go with a striking charge which would obviously have been Intentional in this case, and any level of force above the minimum would be a week.

They went with a misconduct charge because even though it didnt hurt Goldstein, and didnt deserve a week, it did deserve a punishment.

Which I think is reasonable. And as Ive said, Im liking the AFL cracking down on a lot more this year than previous years.
True, except that it’s not reasonable at all after precedent has been set with Graham’s incident last week.

The only bloke that came out of that looking bad was Mitchell himself, but you wouldn't rub a bloke out of a Brownlow Medal for that.

He knew it was pissweak, was ashamed of his act and apologized to Goldstein after the match. That's enough. It's done.

upload_2018-4-24_10-21-56.png

Think you need a spell there buddy, youre getting a little bit too excited, calling this a coward punch is a little melodramatic I would have thought haha

How about cheap shot if cowards punch is too harsh for you

You wouldn't be upset if it was your child getting elbowed?

But then again your coach is an expert right at that tatic and no doubt instructions were made

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't see the Graham one to be honest, but I'm not at all surprised there are similar discrepancies attracting different punishments. After all we've had Hawkins(twice), Duncan and Selwood all suspended for jumper punches while Cotchin (and others) has been let off a number of times. I understand the frustration!

I get they have changed the rules in that any punch, such as Duncan's punch in the stomach is an automatic suspension, regardless of how soft the punch was, yet Mitchell can elbow (albeit not hard) someone in the back of the head and that's a fine. Surely an elbow is more dangerous than a punch?

The only bloke that came out of that looking bad was Mitchell himself, but you wouldn't rub a bloke out of a Brownlow Medal for that.

He knew it was pissweak, was ashamed of his act and apologized to Goldstein after the match. That's enough. It's done.

View attachment 487328
While i agree with all that, what rankles is the decision is clearly different to last week.

And compounding that is the fact Grahams case actually went to appeal and therefore in theory was subject to a more comprehensive analysis to arrive at a decision.

While i agree with all that, what rankles is the decision is clearly different to last week.

And compounding that is the fact Grahams case actually went to appeal and therefore in theory was subject to a more comprehensive analysis to arrive at a decision.

When have the MRP not been inconsistent?

I'd hate to think what would have happened to Jack Ziebell under the same circumstances.

Remember this? 3 weeks. The bloke got up and jogged off! What a joke!

If anything, he deserved a week for being a dickhead and attempting to elbow someone in the head. Not surprisingly the only thing to come out of this is that the AFL is still a joke of an organisation.

View attachment 487328

Absolutely agree with this.

However- its completely unfair to the clubs and players who have been rubbed out the previous week for doing similar.

All we want is consistency. Not picking and choosing from one week to another, it makes the AFL look bad (corrupt would be too strong i think).

Can someone please explain how it gets graded as 'misconduct' and not striking?

Ps- I think he should have got a fine, but am staggered that Selwood got a week. The only difference was that Mitchell was charged with misconduct (elbowing to the head) and Selwood was striking for a jumper punch. Just trying to work out how they have differentiated the two

View attachment 487328
Oh he apologized? Is there a new rule that if you apologize real quick and real nice you dont get suspended? Wow.

Oh he apologized? Is there a new rule that if you apologize real quick and real nice you dont get suspended? Wow.

Graham didn’t even get a chance to apologise because Zorko got back up straight away and roughed him up in retaliation ;) Obviously he was okay. Strange how the impact was graded higher when there were no different medical consequences?

Isn’t the look of the incident the same and the intent the same - if no injury occurs the impact is the same? (Not sure they have a team out there who calculate the physics of impacts so that’s a pretty definite way to define an impact)

Instead of a panel of experts for us to call inconsistent, now the AFL has given us a single name to blame for it all. Definitely works out in their favour as they can replace the bloke every season if his reputation is ruined and just cycle through their address book.

You moron. How did he ‘accidentally’ slip up Goldsteins shoulder to his head, a bloke nearly a foot taller than him? He meant to hit the head and should have been rubbed out a week. The MRP is an utter joke.

They should be adjudicating intent over outcome. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
Your response is everything that is wrong with BigFooty. I don't mind if you disagree with me. I'm happy to discuss any issue and have disagreement.

The fact that your first response is to call someone a moron who doesn't share your opinions is just typical BigFooty at its worst

So selwood gets a week for remonstrating, and getting bundled over in the process himself making it look all the worse, and Tmich get's a fine for an elbow to the head.
Very confusing.........again.
I though they were trying to get rid of this cheap shot's behind the play. A deliberate raised arm elbow to the head to someone jogging past behind the play get's a fine????? way to discourage it guy's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back