Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

No1Suspect

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2010
In the shadows
AFL Club
Carlton
I think that would be fair. I don't rate Cameron much, but Papley is worth a pick inside the top 10.

In saying that though I hope this is just a rumour. I don't want to lose Papley as he is so much tougher and more reliable than almost all our other players. I for instance rate Papley as a better player than Parker and Lloyd.

If this does come to fruition, youll have 2 solid picks, id be chasing a KPD hard Aliir is a loan horse down back apart from Rampe, maybe target Serong with the other pick as a replacement for Paps?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If this does come to fruition, youll have 2 solid picks, id be chasing a KPD hard Aliir is a loan horse down back apart from Rampe, maybe target Serong with the other pick as a replacement for Paps?

Swans desperately need inside midfielders more than anything. Another bigger bodied KPD would be handy, but an inside midfielder is essential. The Swans midfield gets smashed every single week with clearances and especially inside 50's as we don't have anyone who can win their own ball.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC

Had Maibuam who was looking good as a stopper and McCartin looks good in defence when played there.

Really, really need good mids

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Really hard to judge. hasn't he only once finished top ten in the bnf? Yet is a really good player.
Swans need picks next year to land 2 good kids so trading a 2nd round pick back won't happen ..

Carlton pick 11 and a 3rd round pick 2020 for papley and pick 24 this year?

Roos have pick 23 but that seems a tad to high..

I'd take that deal as a Carlton fan, expect it would be a swap of later picks that sydney won't use though.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
So you will have in effect traded pick 3 for Stocker, Papley & Cameron, fair deal IMO.

If North are into Papley, they are in a tricky siuation, pick 6 is probably too high, picks in the 20s are not getting it done and no player North is willing to add is of any value to Sydney.

FWIW, I think this whole talk is just BF & media beat up, absolutely nothing in Papley's demeanor suggests he is going anywhere.
FWIW our ITK posters have been mentioning Papley for months and i'd say they are more confident on him then Coniglio at this stage.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Excellent a top ten pick for smear, his season is tracking a similar trajectory to Cam Zurhaars, might suggest we hang Zurhaar out for trade.

If Papley wants out, he'll get out. If he nominates a club he'll get there and of course that weakens Sydney's position.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Worth a mid first rounder.

The Demons are screaming out for a decent small forward (or 2), and I’d love it if we could get Papley.

Doubt we’ll compromise pick 2 though and our second round pick (albeit very early) wouldn’t be enough.

I reckon Sydney will hold him to his contract if they can’t get a good deal done.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This guy is good, if he wants to leave sydney and nominates us, he will get here, these days contract means nothing. It's far more costly to hold onto a disgruntled player then to get the highest trade for him. Strike the iron when it's hot where if you miss the chance then when his contract finishes and has a bad season the trade could be far worse. Of course he hasn't really nominated us or given hints of nominating us so it's still very much in the open. We north have failed really badly when we went after the 'big names' or the known A graders but on the other hand, we have done exceptionally well with the 'no name' pick ups. We have acquired sizable contingent of player 'lesser names' that have established themselves and taken to the next level. To name a few we still have Anderson, Ahern, Higgins stepping up to take on central roles; hartung did a great job until he got dismissed due to Brad's rookie error; even Hvrovat was quite serviceable in 2017; Polec and Pittard have been very good players, key planks even. I have no doubts that Dom Tyson will find his feet in 2020 and do a job. Aaron Hall when he gets over his issues will return stronger and fitter than ever and i would dare say even be the center piece of our flag run as he plays this inside line breaking midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow, with all of those players going so well I doubt you can fit Papley in. FWIW, he's going no where, all this is just media and BF talk, very invested in the Swans as you'll find out at seasons end.

papley can be a solid gain, have him firming as a permanent small forward and gradually train the likes of garner and zurhaar into the midfield.

Jul 16, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Papley would suit Carlton’s style, he would complement curnow, Mckay with his quick style and clean skills. Not sure if Carlton has become the destination club it’s thriving to be just yet. But if they can land Coniglio that would be a step in the right direction.

Senior List
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Think the Crows pick would be good for both clubs, would let the Swans pick Kemp, who could easily end up the best out of this years draft., and the Blues get a certified gun in an area of significant weakness.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Swans desperately need inside midfielders more than anything. Another bigger bodied KPD would be handy, but an inside midfielder is essential. The Swans midfield gets smashed every single week with clearances and especially inside 50's as we don't have anyone who can win their own ball.

We have a guy called Dan Hannebery we can send your way.

Your first round pick and it is a done deal.

Back