Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy is good, if he wants to leave sydney and nominates us, he will get here, these days contract means nothing. It's far more costly to hold onto a disgruntled player then to get the highest trade for him. Strike the iron when it's hot where if you miss the chance then when his contract finishes and has a bad season the trade could be far worse. Of course he hasn't really nominated us or given hints of nominating us so it's still very much in the open. We north have failed really badly when we went after the 'big names' or the known A graders but on the other hand, we have done exceptionally well with the 'no name' pick ups. We have acquired sizable contingent of player 'lesser names' that have established themselves and taken to the next level. To name a few we still have Anderson, Ahern, Higgins stepping up to take on central roles; hartung did a great job until he got dismissed due to Brad's rookie error; even Hvrovat was quite serviceable in 2017; Polec and Pittard have been very good players, key planks even. I have no doubts that Dom Tyson will find his feet in 2020 and do a job. Aaron Hall when he gets over his issues will return stronger and fitter than ever and i would dare say even be the center piece of our flag run as he plays this inside line breaking midfielder.

Geez!
North's holding us over a barrel with Paps who bleeds red & white.
What shall we do?:rolleyes:

Will be a great get playing alongside Dusty & Kelly with Horse as coach.
Dont be salty, be happy that one of your players will be playing for a better side next year.

Find your Happy Place.

Not sure papley is what north Melbourne need. Zurhaar, Thomas, Garner all seem
To be developing nicely.

Carlton or hawthorn are the two for mine. If either of these two clubs can land coniglio papley would be the cherry on top.

To be developing nicely.

Carlton or hawthorn are the two for mine. If either of these two clubs can land coniglio papley would be the cherry on top.
Think Papley would rather go to Carlton or Hawks

To be developing nicely.

He's exactly what we need - we lack a genuine small forward who can hit the scoreboard.

I don't think we'll get him though. His value will fall between our first two picks, although Wood may hold some currency.

I don’t know where he wants to go or even if he wants out so I won’t pretend to.

But Sydney holds the cards he is contracted. So I’d expect Sydney to demand two first round picks and rightly so, not happy for Carlton to pay that, happy for Carlton however to pay this years first and if he wants to come to us and it’s still sticky, no real issue with Carlton throwing in next years 2nd if Sydney include their next year third coming back

I don’t know where he wants to go or even if he wants out so I won’t pretend to.

But Sydney holds the cards he is contracted. So I’d expect Sydney to demand two first round picks and rightly so, not happy for Carlton to pay that, happy for Carlton however to pay this years first and if he wants to come to us and it’s still sticky, no real issue with Carlton throwing in next years 2nd if Sydney include their next year third coming back

Two first round, i highly doubt that, they get 2nd round plus 2020 second round. Nothing more as papley is not a game changer as there are plenty of small forward crawling around the league.

Wood and 3rd rounder will do.

Why would Sydney do that? Papley is better, younger and contracted.

I'd be happy to offer Wood and our second for Papley and perhaps a later pick coming back, but not even sure the Swans would do that. We'd have to get Papley to nominate us and then try and find a pick around 12-15 imo.

To be developing nicely.

Garner at the end of 2017 was planned to get more midfield time and i still think we should develop him further as he will be what we have always lacked in the midfield, explosive brutes. The same goes for Zurhaar. Let me tell, zurhaar is special get, he can be what dustin martin is, very similar physical attributes and skill sets with more aggression. Him, LDU and Thomas will be unstoppable, by then the 'big name' free agents will sudden start to pop up on our lists with more regularity. Right now sit back and enjoy the carnage, save up the money and cheery pick for the dirty gems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Sydney do that? Papley is better, younger and contracted.

I'd be happy to offer Wood and our second for Papley and perhaps a later pick coming back, but not even sure the Swans would do that. We'd have to get Papley to nominate us and then try and find a pick around 12-15 imo.

Better is questionable at best. For every wood there are a dozen papleys. Key position talents are much rarer, we know that, sydney knows that. Sydney wants wood more than woods wants sydney. Bargaining power is in our hands.

Better is questionable at best. For every wood there are a dozen papleys. Key position talents are much rarer, we know that, sydney knows that. Sydney wants wood more than woods wants sydney. Bargaining power is in our hands.

Wood isn't a key position player. He will be 26 years old next year and is a tweener. Definitely has potential but you don't trade proven performers for players with talent that haven't put it together consistently.

Reverse the clubs and there's no way you'd trade Papley to land Wood and some small change.

Two first round, i highly doubt that, they get 2nd round plus 2020 second round. Nothing more as papley is not a game changer as there are plenty of small forward crawling around the league.
It’s pretty clear your missing the point. It’s also clear you didn’t read my entire comment, as I said that’s where negotiations will open, He is a contract player, the team who wants to get him out is going to pay overs. 2 second round picks? Your kidding yourself, actually your not, what you’ve done is look at what NM has as a trade hand, early first and early seconds, so you don’t want to give up the early first, so you try and make his value to SYDNEY what you have, which is this years 2nd, but you aren’t quite delusional enough to think that’s enough so you decide to chuck in next years second.

As others have pointed out 2nds suddenly doesn’t make a first, does for points but not in reality.

Look at previous trades;
Cameron pick 10
Lever 2 first
Neale top 5 pick
Gibbs 2 first
McGovern 2 seconds plus McAdam and upgrades
Shiel 2 first

Papley is no Neale, but he is better than McGovern.

Again he is contracted Sydney will asks for 2 first round picks, it will be negotiated from there, again North don’t have Sydney over a barrel he is contracted, his grandfather player for the club and from what I’ve seen he seems like a decent bloke, Sydney would have all confidence that when they laugh you out of the room offering two seconds, he will perform for them for the length of his remaining contract. There is no incentive for them to go early trading him, unless the trade is for overs

I’d give Sydney the crows pick (~#8).

That’s probably overs, but he’s young, contracted and plays in a position that we really need covered (see: desperate buyer).
Not really a desperate buyer but having to pay overs to move a contracted player similar to Richmond giving up pick #6 for Prestia at the time and also the carlton demand for Yarran.

When the club has the pick to players current team will demanded it

Wood isn't a key position player. He will be 26 years old next year and is a tweener. Definitely has potential but you don't trade proven performers for players with talent that haven't put it together consistently.

Reverse the clubs and there's no way you'd trade Papley to land Wood and some small change.

I don't think it is a case of Wood and small change.

I think it may be Wood and something decent, but probably enables us to avoid using a high pick.

Wood is contracted as well....

Wood and 3rd rounder will do.

So you want him, you just want to pay way under his value.

Also anyone who knows anything about Sydney's list knows we don't need Wood as our forward line is okay, at least in terms of tall forwards. I mean where are we going to stick Wood given we have Buddy, Reid, McCartin, Blakey and if we ever get a decent ruckman we will also have Sinclair spending quite a bit of time forward as well.

He stays at Sydney for mine off the back of reports Sydney want 2 1st round picks for him, no one is going to pay up close to that so we will revisit this in 12 months when they can't use his contract to drive for overs.

His Gf in Melbourne. Swans would want him to stay.
But think he would do right thing for club and get a fair deal done.

something like Norths future second round pick (for academy) + Mason Wood
for Papley

Swans get a different type of Forward to complement their young talls, plus a pick to help them with points for the guns coming through next year.

Would North be interested in Zac Jones too?

His Gf in Melbourne. Swans would want him to stay.
But think he would do right thing for club and get a fair deal done.

something like Norths future second round pick (for academy) + Mason Wood
for Papley

Swans get a different type of Forward to complement their young talls, plus a pick to help them with points for the guns coming through next year.

Would North be interested in Zac Jones too?

Yeah... no.

We are very much ok for tweeners with Hayward and have Dawson, Heeney and Parker rotating through.

Wood has only been kicked up due to an article from back when Wood was OOC and used swans as leverage. We said no interest and doubt it has changed.

Yeah... no.

We are very much ok for tweeners with Hayward and have Dawson, Heeney and Parker rotating through.

Wood has only been kicked up due to an article from back when Wood was OOC and used swans as leverage. We said no interest and doubt it has changed.

I guess similar trade but Wood to X club and that draft pick plus a second rounder to Swans if they dont want wood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back