Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Which supporters aren't looking for ways their side can improve? It's not as though anything said here affects the actual trade.
Fair point, if you look at Martin and Papley thread on here, it is more towards fan page rather than genuine discussion about true value of both players. Discussion should be both way, not just one way traffic, if not it is just instruction or order in authority form.

Nobody is saying it’s Weitering it the highway , I think people are saying if Sydney don’t want pick 8 then a pretty significant player to Carlton might need to be given up

Pick 8 is not over for Papley, I saw a lot of him this year and he is worth every bit of pick 8, then throw 4 years on his contract and that value only goes up

I disagree.

Papley on his own is probably worth a late first round pick given his age and what he has shown to date.

When you factor in that he is contracted his value then increases to a top 10 pick, because we will have to pay a premium to get him released.

Pick 8 is fair.

You are coming across as a salty person still bitter about past events coming on here to troll bait with fanciful trade idea's. Not striking a nerve just a pretty obvious assessment of your posts on this page.

I think it is pretty obvious Sydney won't let papley go unless they get a key player in, for mine that is daniher.

I see a 3 way trade where Essendon end up with picks 8 + 23 for daniher or papley staying at the Swans.

Go back and look who brought up Weitering. It was actually a Carlton supporter suggesting Sydney should ask the question. On trade Value Papley and Weitering would be similar IMO.

Papley is the exact kind of player you guys need, at the end of the day I think you guys will get him but it will probably cost more than pick 8

Are you still mad about the results of our last few trades? Coming on here trying to stir the pot with talks of trading weitering won't get many bites.

If we don't get Papley for pick 8 we will grab Betts and Dan Butler, pretty simple stuff really.
Weird comment.

Any club would do 8 and 19 for 3, even if it DID look a lot better than that for a while.

Trading Gibbs for a first was a mistake, but giving you 16 in a s**t draft has now gotten us two good second rounds, so that's looking very good.

I disagree.

Papley on his own is probably worth a late first round pick given his age and what he has shown to date.

When you factor in that he is contracted his value then increases to a top 10 pick, because we will have to pay a premium to get him released.

Pick 8 is fair.

Given his age??? He is 23.

With Papley he is averaging 1.7 goals a game. You know exactly what you are getting with Papley and at age 23 that is perfect.

Pick 8 could be a flop as far as anyone knows

Go back and look who brought up Weitering. It was actually a Carlton supporter suggesting Sydney should ask the question. On trade Value Papley and Weitering would be similar IMO.
Papley is the exact kind of player you guys need, at the end of the day I think you guys will get him but it will probably cost more than pick 8

Therefore the interest.

Pick #8 would normally be seen to be enough, but maybe not this year and Sydney have every right to push hard.
Especially so if that pick has to go to the draft. If it is designed to attain Daniher though, whilst Sydney keeping their #4 then things change.

This isn't going to be an easy deal to get over the line as there are certainly some pig-headed individuals involved.
May go to the last day and may even be scrapped at the end. It shouldn't be, but it's possible.

Weird comment.

Any club would do 8 and 19 for 3, even if it DID look a lot better than that for a while.

Trading Gibbs for a first was a mistake, but giving you 16 in a s**t draft has now gotten us two good second rounds, so that's looking very good.

This is not the place for Carlton/ Adelaide s**t fights. Best to let it go and talk about Papley

Therefore the interest.

Pick #8 would normally be seen to be enough, but maybe not this year and Sydney have every right to push hard.
Especially so if that pick has to go to the draft. If it is designed to attain Daniher though, whilst Sydney keeping their #4 then things change.

This isn't going to be an easy deal to get over the line as there are certainly some pig-headed individuals involved.
May go to the last day and may even be scrapped at the end. It shouldn't be, but it's possible.

Yep, would happily give up pick 8 for Papley if he was uncontracted especially at age 23.

You guys might need to find a second pick somewhere with Sydney giving back a third if Sydney are interested in draft picks

Given his age??? He is 23.

I’m saying that his age is a bonus and is why he would be rated as a late first round pick.

With Papley he is averaging 1.7 goals a game. You know exactly what you are getting with Papley and at age 23 that is perfect.

Pick 8 could be a flop as far as anyone knows

Pick 1/2 could a flop too. There’s no exact science here.

It’s a risk that the Swans would need to take, and will likely have to strategically take if Daniher decides be wants to join them.

Nobody is saying it’s Weitering it the highway , I think people are saying if Sydney don’t want pick 8 then a pretty significant player to Carlton might need to be given up

Pick 8 is not over for Papley, I saw a lot of him this year and he is worth every bit of pick 8, then throw 4 years on his contract and that value only goes up

He is a pretty good small forward. Not bad. Not great.

If Hawthorn offered pick 8 for him I would be horrified.

Papley's best year is not much better than Breust's worst year, yet BF never valued him at better than a late 1st round.

I disagree.

Pick 8 is fair.

If Carlton took 8 to the draft and selected a pressure forward capable of kicking 40 goals we’d be parading in the streets. He is exactly what we need now.

If it was a toss up between a Bailey Smith/Tarryn Thomas and Papley I’d be cautious. This draft is not up to that standard.

I’m expecting pick 8 and something extra with Darcy Cameron worked into the deal, not that he is worth much. Time for Carlton to start moving up the ladder even if it costs perceived overs to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering will be a Swan as part of the Papley deal.
All sorts of questions are being asked by the Swans. We are in a super position with Paps as he is more than happy to stay.
This is Ryan O'Keefe, who was contracted, all over again & you & Hawthorn let that opportunity slip. We were after a player in that deal & you both didn't budge.

No way are you getting Weitering

No way are you getting Weitering
Perhaps you are right but we would give up something where we have an excess but will need something where we are lacking.
Weitering fits the bill. You want a small forward. We want a key defender. Papley for Weitering is realistic.

He is a pretty good small forward. Not bad. Not great.

If Hawthorn offered pick 8 for him I would be horrified.

Papley's best year is not much better than Breust's worst year, yet BF never valued him at better than a late 1st round.

Who really cares about pick 8 in the end. If you pay pick 8 and get the player you need and want. Nobody knows what pick 8 will be. At least you know you are getting a very good pressure forward who is nearly kicking 2 goals a game.

People put way to much value on draft picks sometimes

Honestly, if Carlton offered pick 8 for Papley and Sydney knocked it back then so be it. A top 10 pick for a very good small forward is more than fair...find me another example of a small forward being traded for a top 10 pick. Cameron was traded for pick 11 and he is a step above Papley. Papley also does not have to accept that trigger clause contract extension, like Casboult is currently weighing up whether he wants to accept the one year trigger clause. In reality then he is out of contract in 2020. Let's represent this for what it is - a fairly standard trade scenario where a player is seeking a trade one year out from his contract expiration. If you're sydney you take pick 8 and bloody run.

Who really cares about pick 8 in the end. If you pay pick 8 and get the player you need and want. Nobody knows what pick 8 will be. At least you know you are getting a very good pressure forward who is nearly kicking 2 goals a game.

People put way to much value on draft picks sometimes

I 100% agree. But I would look to shop pick 8 for 15 or 16 and another pick. Offer 15 or 16 and keep the other pick for a trade or go to the draft and find some value.

Perhaps you are right but we would give up something where we have an excess but will need something where we are lacking.
Weitering fits the bill. You want a small forward. We want a key defender. Papley for Weitering is realistic.

Aside from the fact that they are not even remotely close in value.

Weitering is worth more on the open market than Papley. Even in fantasy trade land that wouldn't be a straight swap.

Weird comment.

You have identified the s**t draft in the Gibbs trade, but fail to mention the very strong draft in which we took Stocker and the very weak draft in which we are exchanging 4 for 9.

Stocker will be very good and this trade will widely be considered a huge win for Carlton.

The only losers out of this besides Ried are all the Adelaide players who desperately want to get out of Adelaide (Talia, Crouch x2, Eddie etc) that won't be able to.

Papley for 9 and a 3rd rounder

Carlton supporters hoping Daniher gets traded so they can get Papley can get f’ed.

Lol. It's not us that are making him leave. Tell your club to open the cheque book and offer a better contract, and hire better medicos. If he leaves it's on your club. No one else.

except it isnt realistic mate.... you would need to give up your pick 4 along with papley for weitering....

Over Woods career he averages 1.3 goals per game, Papley 1.5 per game. Lets say they both play 20 games for the season that will be 36 goals for Wood 40 for Papley. Not A GREAT DIFFERANCE OVER THE YEAR 4 GOALS.

#1) Your maths is completely wrong; totals would be Wood 26 vs Papley 30
#2) Your maths is useless given how often Wood has been injured; reality is actual output since Papley debuted is 30 goals a year vs 17
#2a) Harley Bennell has better per match stats than Brad Hill; but missing a lot of footy (admittedly other baggage with Harley) hurts your value
#3) Wood is 3 years older than Papley
#4) Wood has very little trade currency
#5) Can we stop this shizen about Wood please
#6) Please see #5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back