Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

James Rose is gettable & like Tom Mitchell a few years ago:rolleyes:, he is not getting regular senior footy & getting a truckload of possessions in the NEAFL.
Hell, he could even win a Brownlow too at the Blues.

Not sure if serious, but just in case...

James Rose
14 AFL matches over 5 seasons
Avgs: 11.4 disp, 3.4 tackles, 0.5 goals a game
This year: 5 matches at 13.4 disp, 2.0 tackles, 0.4 goals
Had limited opportunities because he isn't that good

Tom Mitchell at Sydney
65 AFL matches over 4 seasons
Avgs: 25.1 disp, 5.9 tackles, 0.6 goals
Final season at Syd: 26 matches at 27.9 disp, 6.2 tackles, 0.6 goals
Had somewhat limited opportunities because you underestimated him and you had a stacked midfield

And NEAFL stats are as useful as a wooden frying pan...

Nobody is saying it’s Weitering it the highway , I think people are saying if Sydney don’t want pick 8 then a pretty significant player to Carlton might need to be given up

Pick 8 is not over for Papley, I saw a lot of him this year and he is worth every bit of pick 8, then throw 4 years on his contract and that value only goes up

Papley is a very good player.

If Syd don't want picks, they would be entitled to ask for one of our primo youngsters.

But at that point, my preference would be to walk away from Papley rather than give up someone like Weitering.

To be fair the club haven't played great poker regards Papley...been a few tells...

We are after Aiden Bonar too?

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Perhaps you are right but we would give up something where we have an excess but will need something where we are lacking.
Weitering fits the bill. You want a small forward. We want a key defender. Papley for Weitering is realistic.

Looks like Swans are enquiring about Marchbank.

I think Sydney and Carlton fans believe pick 8 is a fair deal for Papley. I really don't want to lose him as he was one of our best players in 2019 (easily top 5) but if he really wants to go I don't want the club to force him to stay, and pick 8 seems fair given his output and given his age.

Neither Carlton nor Sydney fans think they are getting an awesome deal at that price.

That's the sign that it's a fair deal IMO.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cameron was traded for pick 11 and he is a step above Papley.
Yeah no. The Charlie Cameron that played at Brisbane in 2019 might be a step above Papley. But the Charlie Cameron that Adelaide traded hadn't kicked more than 30 goals in a season. That Charlie Cameron had kicked 87 goals across 4 seasons. He wasn't better than Papley.

And 2019 Charlie Cameron wouldn't go for pick 11.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Looks like Swans are enquiring about Marchbank.

I wasn't joking when I said we were after Weitering. Carlton perhaps offering Marchbank but we want Weitering.
That I wasn't messing around with. We want a ready to go best 22 backman. You want Papley. Miles apart if we don't get a best 22 backman.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I wasn't joking when I said we were after Weitering. Carlton perhaps offering Marchbank but we want Weitering.
That I wasn't messing around with. We want a ready to go best 22 backman. You want Papley. Miles apart if we don't get a best 22 backman.

You can enquire all you want. Every club enquires about 50 players each post season. We won't be entertaining a discussion on Weitering.

Zero chance we've offered Marchbank. You've enquired.

Unlike Weitering, Marchbank is one we would likely entertain a conversation about. He's best 22 to us but you guys are desperate.

Last edited:

Smarch

Draftee
Oct 3, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
You can enquire all you want. Every club enquires about 50 players each post season. We won't be entertaining a discussion on Weitering.

Zero chance we've offered Marchbank. You've enquired.

Unlike Weitering, Marchbank is one we would entertain a conversation about. He's best 22 to us but you guys are desperate.

I would be more willing to give up Plowman than Marchbank, would prefer neither but I think Marchbank reads the play better and is a better user with the ball the Plowy.

Weitering is a definite no chance, just got back to form this year and I think would be considered an untouchable by the club.

Plowman and 8 might be a better deal for the Blues but I really don't think they would let Marchbank go.

Who knows in the end, we will find out in the 3 weeks time though.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
People need to understand;

Marchbank did not want to live in Sydney and came to Victoria. He is wanted and will be part of our future.
Weitering...well ain't going anywhere.

Papley wants back in Melbourne for personal reasons. This will get done.
You don't trade a KP young player for a small forward young player

Now that you understand all that - start thinking about alternatives....

Sydney will need to offer - Pick 4 and Papley for a KP young player would be the starting point but it won't happen!!!

We don't want to lose these kids!!!!

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
he he he.............we're so desperate we are chasing Papley.

We're in deep discussions with a player who wants to move to Victoria. They also play in a position we lack. Is that a surprise?

Swans are rumoured to have enquired about a player who has already left Sydney to come home to Victoria...to take him back there? Big difference.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah no. The Charlie Cameron that played at Brisbane in 2019 might be a step above Papley. But the Charlie Cameron that Adelaide traded hadn't kicked more than 30 goals in a season. That Charlie Cameron had kicked 87 goals across 4 seasons. He wasn't better than Papley.

And 2019 Charlie Cameron wouldn't go for pick 11.

Yep which is why pick 8 is more than enough.

A few picks higher than Cameron due to the fact he has more years on his contract to go than Cameron did, plus this draft would appear to be weaker than 2017 (Crows got Fogarty with pick 12 who looks good).

Back