Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Sydney and Carlton fans believe pick 8 is a fair deal for Papley. I really don't want to lose him as he was one of our best players in 2019 (easily top 5) but if he really wants to go I don't want the club to force him to stay, and pick 8 seems fair given his output and given his age.

It actually should be quite an easy trade, based around pick 8.

Main complication would likely be what Sydney need to give up for Daniher, and thus tying what we give for Papley to it.

We're in deep discussions with a player who wants to move to Victoria. They also play in a position we lack. Is that a surprise?

Swans are rumoured to have enquired about a player who has already left Sydney to come home to Victoria...to take him back there? Big difference.
It's Weitering. We tried last season.

Yep which is why pick 8 is more than enough.

A few picks higher than Cameron due to the fact he has more years on his contract to go than Cameron did, plus this draft would appear to be weaker than 2017 (Crows got Fogarty with pick 12 who looks good).

Yeah it is supposed to be quite a weak draft so I see clubs being a bit more willing to throw around higher picks at the trade table to get what they want. Top 2 players are supposed to be great, but there is a rapid decline in quality after that.

Is Papley in the top 10 small forwards? Im not sure Id have him there.

Maybe somewhere in the 10 to 20 range?

Mind you, the Swans had a pretty terrible year and he had a good year, so perhaps he became a much better player this year.

He is the second best small forward in the competition behind Cameron, and he is a top 5 player at the Swans in 2019. Name the top 5 players in any club and most of those top 5 would warrant a very good draft pick at the trade table, especially if that player had more games ahead of him than behind.

Mind you, the Swans had a pretty terrible year and he had a good year, so perhaps he became a much better player this year.

If Papley is #11, who are the Top 10 small forwards you would have before him?

Yeah it is supposed to be quite a weak draft so I see clubs being a bit more willing to throw around higher picks at the trade table to get what they want. Top 2 players are supposed to be great, but there is a rapid decline in quality after that.

I'd be fine with Carlton throwing in some steak knives your way on top of pick 8.

From the few articles I've read, it seems that Rowell and Anderson are real quality, but the next 10-ish players are still OK but just very even. I doubt whoever is taken at pick 3 would make the top 10 from the 2018 superdraft. Perhaps not even the top 20.

Yep. Cameron is better than him, but I can't think of any other small forward in the competition who is also better than Papley.
Great question. Depends on who you classify as a small forward. If you allow guys like Toby Greene and Robbie Gray, I'd have Papely in the 5-10 range.

For me I'd rate them in 3 categories.

Ahead: Greene, Gray, DeGoey, Cameron,

Similar: Breust, Stephenson, Tippa, Ryan,

Below (but close):
Betts, Pupopolo, Rozee, Gresham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great question. Depends on who you classify as a small forward. If you allow guys like Toby Greene and Robbie Gray, I'd have Papely in the 5-10 range.

For me I'd rate them in 3 categories.

Ahead: Greene, Gray, DeGoey, Cameron,

Similar: Breust, Stephenson, Tippa, Ryan,

Below (but close): Betts, Pupopolo, Rozee, Gresham

Greene and DeGoey are more medium forwards. Stephenson too.

Gray, Pupolo and Betts are all well past their best and I don't think Gresham and Rozee have proved themselves yet in the small forward role.

Which supporters aren't looking for ways their side can improve? It's not as though anything said here affects the actual trade.

Unfortunately some people here actually believe that it does lol
and some make posts as if they know exactly what their club does or will do and categorically rule out certain things like they have consulted the list manager of their club. Its actually very funny

Who are the best small forwards in the league? Excluding marking small/medium forwards like Elliot or Greene and mid-forwards like Zorko.

Cameron
Walters if he counts
Breust
Papley
Tippa
Cripps

Hard list to do

Why would you exclude those guys?

Also include GAJ.

Anyone who is just a small forward is probably clogging the list. The best ones rotate through the midfield and play back from time to time as well.

Dusty on the weekend showed us exactly how to be a small forward.

Small foward shouldnt be based on his height but more the role he plays

As the commentators last saturday mentioned during the brisbane/richmond game

if dusty played perm foward he would be the best small foward in the game

Weird comment.

Any club would do 8 and 19 for 3, even if it DID look a lot better than that for a while.

Trading Gibbs for a first was a mistake, but giving you 16 in a s**t draft has now gotten us two good second rounds, so that's looking very good.
If they were all in the same draft sure, don't think any club would be giving up a top 10 pick in last years draft for pick 3 in this years though.

None the less I was simply judging the post for what it was.

Throw out your top 10 small forwards and we’ll see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back