Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

The rumours seem pretty consistent that Carlton are offering their first pick for Papley. What would North be realistically be offering (and no, Mason Wood is not realistic)?

2020 first rounder and some insignificant pick shuffling I imagine.

My hypothetical that I think both teams will hate, but I think each side gets what they need.

Carlton give pick 8, Marchbank, pick 39
Sydney give Papley, pick 23

Carlton
Get Papley for ~ pick 8
Get a pick (23) which is perfect for Jack Martin IMO
Carlton lose a promising young defender (where they are fairly well covered)
Carlton lose pick 39, which is an ok-but-not-great pick

Sydney
Get pick 8 for Papley
Get Marchbank who is a young-ish, talented but sometimes injured, 3rd tall for downgrading pick 23 to 39

Notes re ^^^
  • The above values Marchbank at pick ~40
  • My personal opinion is he is worth 30-35 (15-25 fully fit, 40-50 if injuries continue)
  • IMO giving him away for pick 40 (equivalent) is probably selling him for unders, but
    • He is not worth 23 on his own
    • SOS cares not for picks >20 and would be happy throw in steak knives. Given Sydney's track record, they could probably find a hidden gem there
    • We may need to sweeten the pick 8 for Papley deal
  • If you value Marchbank at 35, using DVI (rough guide) upgrades our payment for Papley to pick 7 equiv
  • Marchbank at 30 values Papley payment at pick 6
  • I am usually a huge critic of the 'spud plus dud pick' equals something of value, but I think Marchbank + 39 for 23 is not a bad deal for Sydney.
    • I would understand if others don't see it that way
  • Carlton supporters are going to hate this, but this basically turns pick 8 into Papley and Marchbank into Martin. With pick 39 thrown away. I am not thrilled with the deal, but can see SOS taking this kid of approach. This is the way he trades IMO.
  • Also pick 39 could be substituted for pick 44 if needed (but the leftover of 39 or 44 will probably be used to bring in someone like Butler anyway)
EDIT. I guess Carlton could substitute 2020 2nd rounder for Marchbank. So 39 + 21-30 (then pushed back quite a bit due to bidding) for pick 23....?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jumping out of there skins were blue fans

In fairness they jumped back in quickly once they worked out it was his agent, apart from some facebook nuffies.

Tom Brown stated as a matter of fact this morning on MMM that Pick 8 for Papley would seem a fait acommpli and be used to secure Daniher from Essendon. Obviously this seems dependant on Daniher wanting to get to Sydney, but there is a lot of smoke around both of these trades.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge though, could see this/these getting done in the back end of trade period if it gets done at all.

Hoping Carlton can work out something along the lines of Papley and a 2nd rounder for 8 and our 3rd/4th rounder. Sydney's 2nd (which is tied to St. Kilda) could then be used on GC's Martin. Not getting too far ahead of myself though am I?

:p

Sydney don't need Carlton's pick 8 to get Daniher they can just trade pick 4

We were never getting him for 2020. This meeting with Harley was about 2021 when a FA & wouldn't cost us a thing & on top off that, our cap would have another year of Bud's contract gone.
It just makes more sense if Joe was to come to us.

Which means they're either not trading for Daniher or they'll find some other way to make up the value (and no, a dozen picks in the 40s doesn't count).

Really? Those are the only options according to... you and you only?

The head draft/trading journo at AFL.com and Tom Brown have both installed Papley and Carlton's pick 8 as likely, the latter essentially stating it was a forgone conclusion.

Just because you would prefer pick 4 to pick 8 as an Essendon supporter doesn't change anything.

Really? Those are the only options according to... you and you only?

The head draft/trading journo at AFL.com and Tom Brown have both installed Papley and Carlton's pick 8 as likely, the latter essentially stating it was a forgone conclusion.

Just because you would prefer pick 4 to pick 8 as an Essendon supporter doesn't change anything.
Um. I said "or they'll find some other way to make up the value"... is that not precisely where pick 8 and Tom Papley fit into the scenario? We're in his thread after all. I don't mean that it will be pick 4 or the direct equivalent of pick 4 in exact draft points. But if the deal has to be done, they'll make something else happen that will suit both clubs.

Um. I said "or they'll find some other way to make up the value"... is that not precisely where pick 8 and Tom Papley fit into the scenario? We're in his thread after all. I don't meant that it will be pick 4 or the direct equivalent of pick 4 in exact draft points. But if the deal has to be done, they'll make something else happen that will suit both clubs.

If Sydney thought Joe was worth the equivalent of pick 4, they would trade pick 4 if and when he nominates them. Either Sydney are using the media to drive Joe's price down, or they are simply being legit about 4 being off limits. Guess it's up to us to decide which. One thing is though, only amateur clubs allow
a player to nominate them before having what's required to get them to the club, only to hang them out to dry and not come up with the currency. That isn't Sydney.

Personally, I think a fit and healthy (mental and physical) Joe is worth Pick 4 in this draft. Unfortunately, neither of those things seem to be the case and I'm of the opinion JD is restless and a wantaway. Yes, he is contracted but Pick 8 and some change is more than Essendon will get next year under free agency, if they see themselves as a finals+ side, which they clearly do. Sydney probably recognise this and are playing it well IMHO.

This ties in nicely with Sydney allowing Papley to leave for 8 and trimmings, then wrapping up Joe with that pick and other trimmings. Expecting the equivalent of pick 4 for JD is very optimistic based on this...

My 2c

Remove this Banner Ad

Back