Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Two of them stayed at their current club, and one may yet join us for nothing.

People can be disappointed, but context is always important.
Context is king no doubt.

SOS fanbois will be adamant he did the right thing by not paying value for these players to get the deal done.
Players and player managers in the future will be wary of dealing with the blues knowing he can’t get them over the line.

Betts and Pittinet is disappointing given Carlton is 88 games into their 66 game rebuild.

Context is king no doubt.

SOS fanbois will be adamant he did the right thing by not paying value for these players to get the deal done.
Players and player managers in the future will be wary of dealing with the blues knowing he can’t get them over the line.

Betts and Pittinet is disappointing given Carlton is 88 games into their 66 game rebuild.

It’s what happens with “jobs for the boys”. If they so desperately want a favourite son involved, let him run water or make the banner.

Can't get them over the line or won't be held to ransom. Significantly better footballers (on exposed form) went for significantly less than the reported offer for Martin (future second and third).

Coniglio and Papley were evidently not for sale. That leaves Shiel on your list...I suppose we have to wear that one, but in hindsight we'd be quite happy to.

Just when I think you're mounting a reasonable argument, you come up with this complete and utter rubbish.

SOS has dealt with many clubs in his roles at both Carlton and the Giants and seems well respected in the industry. I very much doubt what we've seen today undoes any of that, especially given they will evaluate in context, and you have not.

Can't get them over the line or won't be held to ransom. Significantly better footballers (on exposed form) went for significantly less than the reported offer for Martin (future second and third).

Coniglio and Papley were evidently not for sale. That leaves Shiel on your list...I suppose we have to wear that one, but in hindsight we'd be quite happy to.
So you’re happy with the targeting and accusation of Betts and Pittonet, with all others available? Wines and Butler seem staggering misses.

Carlton identified a list hole, targetted their man, made an excellent offer, acted with integrity.
Not much else they could do. Sometimes things just dont work out.

You won't get much love posting reasonable things like this guys...

Don't you know Carlton lost and SOS is inept? Just laughable the axes some people have to grind.

Extremely content with where everything sits in this space of our footy club. Am I disappointed we didn't get the trades over the line? 100%. But would be even more disappointed if we put our list strategy to the wind just to appease media idiots and opposition nuffies on BF.

Just when I think you're mounting a reasonable argument, you come up with this complete and utter rubbish.

SOS has dealt with many clubs in his roles at both Carlton and the Giants and seems well respected in the industry. I very much doubt what we've seen today undoes any of that, especially given they will evaluate in context, and you have not.
That’s the great thing about this forum, we all have opinions and aren’t censored for them, right? I’m not sure what rubbish you are referring to, but am hesitant to ask in case you take offence to my question.

I don’t believe Betts and Pittonet will move your club forward. You may think the opposite.

I also think that Carlton enticing players to join their club and not getting a suitable trade for them means they will be seen as difficult to deal with. You may not.

So you’re happy with the targeting and accusation of Betts and Pittonet, with all others available? Wines and Butler seem staggering misses.
Would have liked a better outcome, though at least we played our hand. Can't throw the toys from the cot because a couple of breaks didn't go our way.

Wines a staggering miss? How much clearer could his club make it that their contracted captain was not available? How many young, contracted captains have been traded? Maybe Leigh Colbert from distant memory?

And if the success our trade period rests with Dan Butler I'll hand my barracker's license in.

That’s the great thing about this forum, we all have opinions and aren’t censored for them, right? I’m not sure what rubbish you are referring to, but am hesitant to ask in case you take offence to my question.

Well that depends really. We work pretty hard to weed out the trolls as per board and site rules. I would hope you are familiar with them by now.

I don’t believe Betts and Pittonet will move your club forward. You may think the opposite.

They may, they may not. Time will tell on that front. And for the cost I don't think many will be too upset if they don't.

The reasoning for bringing them both in though is clear and hard to argue with.

I also think that Carlton enticing players to join their club and not getting a suitable trade for them means they will be seen as difficult to deal with. You may not.

I try avoid jumping to conclusions without knowing or acknowledging all the facts. Each to their own though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to who? The news toady was that Sydney were firm on 9 + 25, and Essendon wanted a player in return. Deal was never going to get done today.
The Essendon media reported that but 25 was always coming to Carlton for pick 9 so there was no way this could have ever been offered.

Well that depends really. We work pretty hard to weed out the trolls as per board and site rules. I would hope you are familiar with them by now.

They may, they may not. Time will tell on that front. And for the cost I don't think many will be too upset if they don't.

The reasoning for bringing them both in though is clear and hard to argue with.

I try avoid jumping to conclusions without knowing or acknowledging all the facts. Each to their own though.
Spose it all depends if you believe SOS moved your list forward this year.

If you did with Betts and Pittonet, good for you. I’d have expected and demanded more.

A club captain comes to your club asking for a trade
He does? Cos we have two clubs saying he didn't against one journo saying he did. And what exactly would his value be? You happy to send 9 and next year's first? Because it's not getting done for less.

And classy forward is a priority over inside mid. Our clearance and contested ball numbers were great.

Honestly, 9 in any trade for Papley would've been well and truly overs. I can't believe Papley turned into Leigh Matthews Mk11 over the past month.

...the mind boggles
I think it was 9 + future 3rd for Papley + 25 or the pick 32 they got for jones, seems like it was a done deal except they wanted daniher to let him go.

Trade that pick 9 for GC's 2020 pick 10 or someone elses future 1st and try again next year, no big deal.

He does? Cos we have two clubs saying he didn't against one journo saying he did. And what exactly would his value be? You happy to send 9 and next year's first? Because it's not getting done for less.

And classy forward is a priority over inside mid. Our clearance and contested ball numbers were great.

somewhat due to Ed Curnow 30, Murphy 32, Kreuzer 30

Honestly, 9 in any trade for Papley would've been well and truly overs. I can't believe Papley turned into Leigh Matthews Mk11 over the past month.

...the mind boggles
Pick 9 turns into pick 10 after the Greene academy pick. How can a 23 year old who kicks 37 goals in a year who can also be used as a midfield game breaker, be better than a pick 10 in a so called weak draft?

Pick 9 turns into pick 10 after the Greene academy pick. How can a 23 year old who kicks 37 goals in a year who can also be used as a midfield game breaker, be better than a pick 10 in a so called weak draft?

A draft so weak carlton choose to trade down via the Stocker deal 12 odd month ago

Think Cripps may have been involved...

and walsh

but it falls away a bit after that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back