Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

ajs071

Senior List
Apr 28, 2012
Glen Iris
AFL Club
Carlton
Papley would have been a Blue if Daniher ended up a Swan, bit harsh blaming SOS for not getting deal done. He was told very early on that Deal would on get done if they could get Daniher

Will be interesting tracking his year next year. How he will go with the homesickness after being close to getting home

He'll get on with it, he's an ultimate professional. We will re-visit it at the end of the year if need be.

Yeah I agree. Can't see Papley as the type to drop his bundle. Watching him on the field, he is a very competitive and combative player

Plus unlike the other club we dealt with, Carlton were very reasonable both with what they offered and how they conducted themselves. If it comes to it both clubs won’t have an issue dealing with each other next season

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Plus unlike the other club we dealt with, Carlton were very reasonable both with what they offered and how they conducted themselves. If it comes to it both clubs won’t have an issue dealing with each other next season
Yeah for sure. See what happens at the end of the year. I hope Papley has a good year. Sydney rightfully held him to his contract as they were unsatisfied with the offer. Hopefully if it comes to a trade next year there is no third party involvement

Yeah for sure. See what happens at the end of the year. I hope Papley has a good year. Sydney rightfully held him to his contract as they were unsatisfied with the offer. Hopefully if it comes to a trade next year there is no third party involvement

We just all hope we never have to deal with Essendon again. No issue if Paps still wants to go after this year we should act with good faith and we will.

Swans made the right choice holding on to him, I rate Papley very highly. Not a great draft this year either right?

Next year is the compromised draft. This year is an even draft from say 5 to 25

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
He'll get on with it, he's an ultimate professional. We will re-visit it at the end of the year if need be.
I'm expecting round 2 of the Daniher/Papley saga in 12 months time but with a different result, ala Kelly. Sydney already appear to be planning on life after Papley with the signings of Taylor and Gray. Daniher a RFA. A lot depends on how he settles and plays after all that has gone down.

I'm expecting round 2 of the Daniher/Papley saga in 12 months time but with a different result, ala Kelly. Sydney already appear to be planning on life after Papley with the signings of Taylor and Gray. Daniher a RFA. A lot depends on how he settles and plays after all that has gone down.

Both are completely different to Papley. Gray will be in the middle where his best games for Port have been. Taylor is the outside/FWD. Neither are Papley replacements and in fact all 3 probably ply rd1.

Luckily the two clubs in Carlton and Sydney were understanding in this trade period.

Daniher as a free agent would be ideal

100%
I think both will happen next year due to Daniher free agent

Daniher to swans to effectively replace buddy
Papley back to Victoria

He spoke on the AFL website ..it doesn't sound like his heart is in Sydney...next year he will try again

Your future first will get it done. Doubt we’d want a first next year as it would be useless with our Academy boys.

A first round pick is never 'useless', with or without an academy.

We would have enough next year anyway and honestly to get a first in a compromised draft would hardly be the greatest idea. Get it in 2021 where we could use it live.

We would have enough next year anyway and honestly to get a first in a compromised draft would hardly be the greatest idea. Get it in 2021 where we could use it live.

You may prefer a future first, but a first round pick is never 'useless' as you claimed.

You may prefer a future first, but a first round pick is never 'useless' as you claimed.

It basically is for us next year- we’ve already stacked next year for picks. Rather take a live pick somewhere. Trading Papley for basically a downgrade would be bordering on crazy.

Would be shocked if Papley requests to go to the Blues again. They made a meal of it last time.

No they didn’t. Both sides were happy with the negotiation and both sides knew it was dependent on the Daniher thing. We weren’t trading Papley otherwise.

It basically is for us next year- we’ve already stacked next year for picks. Rather take a live pick somewhere. Trading Papley for basically a downgrade would be bordering on crazy.

It really isn't though.

Given it is now possible to trade through the draft as well as the trade period, picks can still hold enormous value, whether or not you intend to retain them.

Don't fall into the same hole the Suns did by thinking they can't do anything with the picks they receive/are offered.

I also wouldn't be devaluing picks on the back of academy prospects coming through the system. We're 12 months away from the draft, a hell of a lot can happen in that time.

No they didn’t. Both sides were happy with the negotiation and both sides knew it was dependent on the Daniher thing. We weren’t trading Papley otherwise.

Don't bother with Buzz, the poor guy doesn't have much of a clue.

We could've done the deal and he'd still find a way to be critical of Carlton for it.

Back