Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, all good.
Swans did right thing by themselves and we did too.
I think Dodo did right thing for his Dons IF he is super confident he can have Daniher wanting to stay at Essendon is 12 months time.

That is the trade period. You are not always going to find or get the thing you want.
Careful, there’s no place for posts like this on BF. What were you thinking posting an entirely reasonable and thoughtful comment in this way? :)

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Crazy if you think Essendon would trade their contracted marquee forward when they don't even get offered pick 5.

Swans clearly didn't do enough to get the trade done.. which is fine, you wanted to use pick 5 at the draft and replace Papley with Joe Daniher for a 2020 1st.

Carlton copped it because the Swans had agreed to terms on Papley and were using pick 9 in negotiations with Essendon but then backflipped on trading Papley because they couldn't get Daniher across the line.
Paps deal was always dependent on getting Daniher.
Carlton understood that

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
And you didn't trade Papley because... ?

Purely in terms of value, yes. But if we traded Daniher without trying to fill the hole we'd be throwing our chances down the shitter for 2020 and probably beyond, so I can understand why we wanted an established player in return.

Those chances wouldn’t have far to fall... with or without Joe

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Context is king no doubt.

SOS fanbois will be adamant he did the right thing by not paying value for these players to get the deal done.
Players and player managers in the future will be wary of dealing with the blues knowing he can’t get them over the line.

Betts and Pittinet is disappointing given Carlton is 88 games into their 66 game rebuild.
Dontou think we should have offered more than 9? We offered it on its own.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. I thought all along SOSauge wanted Papley and pick 25 for pick 9, then ontrade 25 for Martin, just so he could pump his own chest out saying, " I got Stocker, Papley and Martin for pick 4". Just like him pumping himself up over Setterfield and Marchbank trades. It was all about trying to prove he did the right thing last year. with the future pick trade with the Crows.

Now Papley has a year consider whether he trusts carlton again, as he'll still be contracted end of 2020.
Another Collingwood biased pot shot at Carlton. Get your facts straight. Ponder “I may be biased”. Then post.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Paps deal was always dependent on getting Daniher.
Carlton understood that
Fair. So to all the non Carlton and Swans fans it’s clear we didn’t under bid for him, you just wouldn’t (which is your call) release him due to not getting another player in. Which is what I heard the Swans say on radio Thursday. “Losing Jones meant we couldn’t also lose Papley without getting another player in.” Very similar to Bombers wanting a player in.

s**t happens.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Dontou think we should have offered more than 9? We offered it on its own.
Did you? All I hear from Carlton supporters was you wanted 25 back so you could give that to GC for Martin. Can you show me where SOS stated that they offered 9 outright?

BTW I believe he was worth pick 9, but as a contracted player, I’d have expected to have to pony up more than he’s worth to prise him away. SOS knows this, he stated it quite publicly in the Gibbs trade. Seems he didn’t go all in for Tom and went against his own system in valuing contracted players.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Another Collingwood biased pot shot at Carlton. Get your facts straight. Ponder “I may be biased”. Then post.
Your fact is Martin won't go PSD and you will get Papley at 9 but now you change your tune.So your fact = BS and Bs= fact.

Did you? All I hear from Carlton supporters was you wanted 25 back so you could give that to GC for Martin. Can you show me where SOS stated that they offered 9 outright?

BTW I believe he was worth pick 9, but as a contracted player, I’d have expected to have to pony up more than he’s worth to prise him away. SOS knows this, he stated it quite publicly in the Gibbs trade. Seems he didn’t go all in for Tom and went against his own system in valuing contracted players.

Your entire point is moot given the Bombers were presented a trade that involved pick 9.

Do you really think Sydney would have done that if they hadn’t come to an agreement with Carlton, or were not confident of doing so?

Do you really think Papley’s manager would have come out post trade week commending Carlton and their dealings had the club been in any way unreasonable with the Swans?

Sydney stood firm on a contracted player - as is their right - and told Carlton they would only deal Papley if they could get Daniher coming in the opposite direction.

Putting any blame on SOS in this instance is pathetic. And just plain incorrect.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Papley needed to walk out of Sydney and make a statement he was following his girlfriend to Melbourne. Sydney would have done the trade for pick 9, which in my eyes was way overs. He didn’t and Sydney knew he was willing to have a long distance relationship. End of trade. Personally, very happy he didn’t come, as he was overvalued by all and for those that think I’m making this up, check my previous posting. Happy to move on to the draft with pick 9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Your entire point is moot given the Bombers were presented a trade that involved pick 9.

Do you really think Sydney would have done that if they hadn’t come to an agreement with Carlton, or were not confident of doing so?
No it doesn’t.

All it shows is 9 was offered up. It doesn’t show that Carlton wanted nothing in return. ALL the talk was that Carlton wanted a second rounder back from Sydney.

No it doesn’t.

All it shows is 9 was offered up. It doesn’t show that Carlton wanted nothing in return. ALL the talk was that Carlton wanted a second rounder back from Sydney.

Answer the question.

If Sydney were offering pick 9 as part of a deal for Daniher, do you really think they were unhappy with the offer for Papley, or with their discussions with Carlton?

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Answer the question.

If Sydney were offering pick 9 as part of a deal for Daniher, do you really think they were unhappy with the offer for Papley, or with their discussions with Carlton?
Sydney were trying to do a deal to get a player over the line. Just because pick 9 was offered, it doesn’t mean that Carlton offered that as a stand alone pick.

The facts are Carltons deal mustn’t have been acceptable on its own otherwise it would have been accepted.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Answer the question.

I haven’t seen any evidence that pick 9 was offered as a straight swap for Papley.

I have only seen Papley for pick 9 with 25 going back.

That trade in isolation was never going to get done.

However, my read of the situation is that Sydney were prepared to do that deal, despite it being unders, if they were able to land Daniher as part of the broader trade.

It’s possible that we were angling for a 2nd rounder back from the Bombers (pick 9 and 2020 1st to them). But that’s just my speculation.

Sydney were trying to do a deal to get a player over the line. Just because pick 9 was offered, it doesn’t mean that Carlton offered that as a stand alone pick.

The facts are Carltons deal mustn’t have been acceptable on its own otherwise it would have been accepted.

The fact you cannot answer a very simple question speaks volumes. You are way out of your depth here yet again.

I have never suggested we offered pick 9 on its own. Silvagni spoke of pick 9 being part of the deal indicates we probably never did.

Sydney offered pick 9 to Essendon as part of the trade for Daniher. That pick belongs to Carlton, therefore very basic logic would dictate that if Essendon were prepared to deal Daniher, Sydney were confident a deal would be done with Carlton, or an in principle agreement had already been reached.

Only an idiot would argue Carlton's offer didn't stack up. All available evidence points to the contrary.

I haven’t seen any evidence that pick 9 was offered as a straight swap for Papley.

I have only seen pick 9 for 25.

That trade in isolation was never going to get done.

However, my read of the situation is that Sydney were prepared to do that deal, despite it being unders, if they were able to land Daniher as part of the broader trade.

I agree. Sydney were never dealing Papley unless Daniher became a Swan. I am disappointed but understand Sydney's position given his contract.

I think your last sentence is spot on. Everything points to negotiations between Carlton and Sydney having gone very well.

I haven’t watched papley since he was one of the biggest spuds in the 2016 grand final, is he even that good?

my lasting memory of him will be him trying to go the glory and fumbling through a Buddy Franklin shot on goal on that day trying to get the easy one out the back

Jan 12, 2013
Tailing foxy_dal
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Ravens, Hornets, Oilers
For a guy with 4 years left on his deal yes it is. As it is we would have accepted it but doesn’t mean it’s not on the unders side
Adding our third round (43) to that values Papley at pick 6. However, Papley+25 for 9 values him at pick 27. Don’t blame the swans for considering that unders.

if the swans have academy players to bid on next year, I think a future second or third would’ve helped. Disappointed the deal wasn’t done, even if it was dependent on the Daniher trade.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair. So to all the non Carlton and Swans fans it’s clear we didn’t under bid for him, you just wouldn’t (which is your call) release him due to not getting another player in. Which is what I heard the Swans say on radio Thursday. “Losing Jones meant we couldn’t also lose Papley without getting another player in.” Very similar to Bombers wanting a player in.

s**t happens.

Lewis Taylor is a direct like for like for Papely.

Back