Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a natural footballer.
Today on least 3 occasions he held a handball until he was able to hit the receiver on their natural side.
Relatively small thing but the number of times that players handball to a guy who has to subsequently stop to get on their 'right' side or alternatively have to scrub the ball forward because they are one-sided is noticeable.

I can't believe he's a bloody Rookie. He looks like he's been around for years.

Same for Mills, Hewy, Heenz...

We really are witnessing a special team in my opinion. I have this feeling the stars are alining & the youth have invigorated the side. Paps is a perfect example of this. A Rookie who has made the side better & has made those around him lift IMO.

I can't believe he's a bloody Rookie. He looks like he's been around for years.

Same for Mills, Hewy, Heenz...

We really are witnessing a special team in my opinion. I have this feeling the stars are alining & the youth have invigorated the side. Paps is a perfect example of this. A Rookie who has made the side better & has made those around him lift IMO.
No doubt the team was looking a bit stale, but the best 22 turnaround has been a godsend. Havnt been this excited by a swans team in a long, long time

He's not as athletic or skillful as Cyril, but he certainly has the footy nous and thirst for the contest. He's 2/3rds the way there on that alone.
Cyril only turns up when Bruce commentates. Outside of that, he is ordinary and Breust/Puopolo are the cream. Yeah, I won coin for Norm with him last year but let's be honest...there were better!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie will want us banned from the rookie draft now.
So we are banned from:

- the rookie draft
- the academies
- star players of any description (the you can't have them all rule)
- the Sudanese community
- anyone Eddie has his eye on (hello GWS)

Have I missed anyone?

Last edited:
So we are banned from:

- the rookie draft
- the academies
- star players of any description (the you can't have them all rule)
- the Sudanese community
- anyone Eddie has his eye on (hello GWS)

Have I missed anyone?

The draft eventually, we'll have to take only international rookies.

Great get this kid, has the work ethic of a young Kirk albeit a different player. If he's a 10th of Max Papley he will play seniors. As an old boy I just remember Max playing for South, if it wasn't for cricket he would have played over 200 and maybe won a Brownlow, he was that good. But i'm biased as I played under Max for 3 years.
Mods - flogstradamus tag this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back