Tom Phillips apologies here

Remove this Banner Ad

In my mind our AA chances at this stage:

Grundy: If picked today would be a certainty.
Howe/Crisp: Serious contenders
Sidebottom: Chance
Treloar, Pendles, Phillips: Outside chance

Grundy a shoo in for the squad but team make-up might determine if he gets a gig. Not sure he'd squeeze Gawn out at this stage if it was a single ruckman.

Treloar, Pendles and Phillips competing with some very good players and limited openings. Could make the squad, doubt they'll make the team, especially Phillips. Long way to go in the season though but Phillips hasn't been sufficiently consistent across all games so behind those who have been.

Grundy a shoo in for the squad but team make-up might determine if he gets a gig. Not sure he'd squeeze Gawn out at this stage if it was a single ruckman.

Treloar, Pendles and Phillips competing with some very good players and limited openings. Could make the squad, doubt they'll make the team, especially Phillips. Long way to go in the season though but Phillips hasn't been sufficiently consistent across all games so behind those who have been.
question about AA, is it always only one ruckmen or do they pick based on what would be the best team to win a game?

Phillips shouldn’t be competing with too many on the wing you’d think. On Pendles podcast they were talking about how Gaff is a lock and the other wingman might be Seedsman/Phillips. Did go on to say Phillips rates higher? (stat wise maybe?).

Comes down to whether the selectors pick a realistic team again this year or try to slot in 12 mids and put them all HB/HF/Bench to make it fit.

Looking stat wise Gaff/Phillips are quite similar with Gaff winning out marginally. Averages 3 more possessions a game with slightly more average clearances and efficiency. Phillips gets him with a higher intercepts and rebound (just).

Phillips shouldn’t be competing with too many on the wing you’d think. On Pendles podcast they were talking about how Gaff is a lock and the other wingman might be Seedsman/Phillips. Did go on to say Phillips rates higher? (stat wise maybe?).

Comes down to whether the selectors pick a realistic team again this year or try to slot in 12 mids and put them all HB/HF/Bench to make it fit.

Looking stat wise Gaff/Phillips are quite similar with Gaff winning out marginally. Averages 3 more possessions a game with slightly more average clearances and efficiency. Phillips gets him with a higher intercepts and rebound (just).

Wing is fairly fluid, more often than not just an extension of the midfield group rotations. IMHO there'll be mids who'll squeeze the more traditional wing types much the same way Kelly and Merrett did last year, Hannebery and Sloane the year before that. Phillips hasn't been anywhere near as consistent as those types. 3 of his last 4 have been good to very good, his game against the giants in that range, 1st half against the Tigas to, but the rest has been largely a hotch-potch marred by some pretty ordinary footy.

I personally don't think Gaff has been as good this year as he has in others but that's off limited viewing.

As I say, not even half way there yet. Phillips plays the majority of the remaining games like he did Friday he'll certainly come into it.

Yeah, clearly I've got form.... :think:

or maybe not.... o_O

Criticism was valid, you can choose to try and paint that any way you like, but it doesn't change the facts. Much like his form over recent weeks doesn't expunge the cause of such criticism.
The criticism was not valid because you did not take into account the need for learning.

Just because a player improves doesn’t mean that former criticisms of their game weren’t valid.

It’s great that Phillips is rapidly improving his poise with ball in hand, but if you say you didn’t have your heart in your mouth every time he got the ball at this time last year then you’re a goddamn liar.
I didn’t criticise because I knew he was doing his best to learn and develop. People are way too quick to sink the boots in on here.

That’s a fact Jack.

I didn’t criticise because I knew he was doing his best to learn and develop. People are way too quick to sink the boots in on here.

That’s a fact Jack.
Actually it’s an opinion, and my name isn’t Jack, so I’ll kindly ask you not to call me that.

The criticism was not valid because you did not take into account the need for learning.

Thanks for letting me know how I form my opinions. Just about had enough of your self righteous bullshit, I'm not wrong just because your opinion is different to mine. That's the end of this for me, there's only so much utter crap I'll tolerate.

Thanks for letting me know how I form my opinions. Just about had enough of your self righteous bullshit, I'm not wrong just because your opinion is different to mine. That's the end of this for me, there's only so much utter crap I'll tolerate.
My comment was about your opinion, not how you formed it.

My comment was about your opinion, not how you formed it.

I see, so I'm being lectured to by someone who doesn't even comprehend what they write.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His decision making this year has improved considerably. It was always going to take time and confidence to get there. Good on him and the match committee for sticking with him

Just keeps getting better and better each week. We've got an absolute gem in this guy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back