Recommitted Tom Phillips [re-signed until end of 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he’s contracted until next year. On current form his market value is a pick around 12-18 given he’s only 22 but there’s no way Collingwood will ever trade him.

Be stunned if he did anything but re-sign. Buckley and co rate him extremely highly, highlighted by his 6th or 7th placing in the Copeland trophy last season.

Disposal is iffy at times but his weekly run and carry is completely invaluable. He is always finding space from opposition to get uncontested ball and move it forward, particularly when he's inside defensive 50. Doesn’t mind a goal either.

Forget about him.

He's the type of player that will only excel in our brand of football. He's a poor man's Andrew Gaff, he's a great runner and accumulator but that's it.

Outside our high-possession running through the middle type of football he will pretty much be useless. Within our team tho he is quite invaluable.

reckon he has versatility to play all over the ground which would work across any system
any player that 2 way runs like this guy and uses the ball well has value
This is his problem, he is not even close to an average AFL player standard when it comes to kicking. Dreadful actually. Great runner, and runs well to the right spots, but is just awful by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh I don’t notice him turning the ball over and he can kick off both sides
I think he’s great, hard runner, not afraid of contact, reasonable left boot but can shank them which is where he gets a bad rap.
But 2 footed? Not sure I’ve ever seen a good kick of his right foot (although I haven’t seen many)

Looked into it and think you are correct, the pies wanted to re-sign him early but it doesn’t seem to have happened

With Free Agency just about all out of contract players would wait.

Plus he has Big Season then he might get a Bigger Contract from us or another team

Very similar to Polec, works well under a particular system. Other clubs can lure him away with high salary/picks but chances are he won't be the same player at another club.

I like Phillips, and think he will stay, but he’s the type of player we can cover, and I wouldn’t be adverse to seeing him leave if we managed to get back in to this years first round as a result.

Another 26 touches and used it well on the big stage

Courageous moment I’m running back with the flight set the tone

If North want to be foolish again and pay way overs for a good, not great player in Phillips, be my guest. Your first round pick should seal the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back