Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Im saying he is lacking.
He needs to improve drastically to reach 250 games.
Very few get to that milestone and those that do you can see it early on.

His game has many weaknesses at the moment and one being decision making- which is enormous in the modern game riddled with pressure.
All sub-10 game players need to improve drastically to reach 250 games. That's like saying my car needs petrol to work. Stating the obvious.

he's missing a right foot... but otherwise going OK at this stage for a guy with single figure games...got caught in a couple of sticky situations on friday and turned it over...not entirely his fault..
he goes well for a peg leg :D
He's adapting to the pace I'd suggest, but seems to get to the right spots, has incredible running, looks a terrific find

As good as Pendlebury at 5 or Beams at 30?
Pendlebury was the all time one.

Especially because Ms Wilson gave us a bit raspberry for that one.

Shame he didn't get it. I guess they're usually going to give it to the "higher" draft pick first, looks better for the system overall, doesn't it.

Oh well. Still, if he keeps up the growth and improvement that's the main thing, official AFL-endorsed accolades or not.

Shame he didn't get it. I guess they're usually going to give it to the "higher" draft pick first, looks better for the system overall, doesn't it.

He made the mistake of getting picked up late in his draft year. It would have been better if he was overlooked completely and overcome the heartache before pushing himself harder to improve and being drafted the following year. That's always a good story.

He made the mistake of getting picked up late in his draft year. It would have been better if he was overlooked completely and overcome the heartache before pushing himself harder to improve and being drafted the following year. That's always a good story.
Sorry if I'm missing a joke, but that was his story!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to go and make those errors in the vfl. Senior team can't afford those errors.

The senior guys aren't exempt from silly mistakes either. Probably unfair to single him out considering his inexperience. He has a big tank & always gets back to help the defence. I think we should persist with him.
He has plenty to come I believe.

Sorry if I'm missing a joke, but that was his story!
LOL. Whoops. If that's the case, the story will already be written, complete with quotes from his u18 coach about what a great hard working kid he is. Editors debating about whether to run it now or after he wins a nomination.

I just don't think Phillips is running games out strangely as it seems. Gets big possessions in first halfs and goes missing a bit.
I think you'll find he runs through earlier in the match then others go there as the match furthers

250 games…
Think about that number though.
It's a number which is crazy in itself to be predicting so early in a player's career. Not many footy players reach that mark, be it lack of talent or injuries etc shortening their career.

Still looks like Ryan Gosling

There's a lot to be said for that

Think I am a bit more lenient on young players.
The fact that he made mistakes means that at least he was doing enough of the right things to have the ball and as he becomes more confident and takes a bit more time, hopefully the mistakes will lessen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back