Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think I am a bit more lenient on young players.
The fact that he made mistakes means that at least he was doing enough of the right things to have the ball and as he becomes more confident and takes a bit more time, hopefully the mistakes will lessen.
it is some times about confidence and game time, the more he gets, hopefully the better he goes

Needs to clean up his ball use. I think he lacks a bit of composure under pressure & gets rid of it too quickly at times. On his own he's actually a neat kick most of the time. He'll be in and out of the side this year (and depending on how he goes this week, might see himself out on ANZAC Day for Wells) but long term can definitely see him in the side.

Has had 4 goal assists this year so far, #1 at the club. Given some of the huge possession numbers our A grade mids have had, that's a positive sign for Phillips.

Would like to see him tackle more, though 5 against the Swans is an equal high of his so far very young career.

I personally think some are being quite harsh on flip. The kid has only played 9 games of AFL and has shown a lot in those 9 games, i would say he is performing really well, maybe a bit sloppy with disposal but that to me is more of a rushing the kick thing which comes down to still getting used to the pace of AFL footy.

I personally think some are being quite harsh on flip. The kid has only played 9 games of AFL and has shown a lot in those 9 games, i would say he is performing really well, maybe a bit sloppy with disposal but that to me is more of a rushing the kick thing which comes down to still getting used to the pace of AFL footy.

People say that, but nearly always the poor decision makers early stay poor decision makers throughout.

The good decision makers (Eg: Pendlebury) do it right from early on

Last edited:
The fact that he made mistakes means that at least he was doing enough of the right things to have the ball and as he becomes more confident and takes a bit more time, hopefully the mistakes will lessen.
This!

And they have to adjust and learn the tempo, takes games to do, unless you're really special

People say that, but nearly always the poor decision makers early stay poor decision makers throughout.

Whilst I think that can happen, often the tempo of the AFL is so high that some never adjust. But players do find their place, can be good decision makers after adjustment.

Pendlebury is exceptional, the elite players just adjust almost automatically. John Coleman toook to VFL first game.
Dane Swan took longer (also other things true with him) Ted Richards took time.
Mick McGuane was in and out a few times early doors.
I'm sure there are many many more.
Sometimes you just need games, confidence, time.

He's playing seniors for Collingwood, the low water line for him is getting a game, improvement will come the more games we get into him. The biggest issue is will he keep his place with Wells a definite best 22 when available.

Good luck to him, still early days

Tend to agree although with a full list and players knocking on the door the smallest of weaknesses in a players game will be punished more than say last year when we had a lot of injuries.

Whilst I think that can happen, often the tempo of the AFL is so high that some never adjust. But players do find their place, can be good decision makers after adjustment.

Pendlebury is exceptional, the elite players just adjust almost automatically. John Coleman toook to VFL first game.
Dane Swan took longer (also other things true with him) Ted Richards took time.
Mick McGuane was in and out a few times early doors.
I'm sure there are many many more.
Sometimes you just need games, confidence, time.
I look back to players like Morwood, Ben Johnson and even Rhyce Shaw and recall some of their eary games. Not so far back, Sinclair.
Still a good position to be in given that there will be options.

He's in the Maynard bracket imo. We are pumping games in to him. Should work out for the future but might hurt us by not selecting someone else over him.

All this talk of only the highest ranked players playing long and influential careers is deeply flawed.

Just look at Phil Carmen - possibly the single most skilled and athletic player ever to don the stripes - cost us a flag and was a bull in a china shop.

Then there are players like Tony Shaw and Nick Maxwell - both 'limited' players who captained Collingwood flag sides. Heart and soul players who overcome their deficiencies to lead 'better' players to victory in the harshest test of all.

Give me a man who will bleed for the stripes over a showpony any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk of only the highest ranked players playing long and influential careers is deeply flawed.

Just look at Phil Carmen - possibly the single most skilled and athletic player ever to don the stripes - cost us a flag and was a bull in a china shop.

Then there are players like Tony Shaw and Nick Maxwell - both 'limited' players who captained Collingwood flag sides. Heart and soul players who overcome their deficiencies to lead 'better' players to victory in the harshest test of all.

Give me a man who will bleed for the stripes over a showpony any day of the week.
Can be said of the current Hawks, rip the heart and soul out of a club and they lose the edge they once held. Mitchell worked his way off the Rookie list to become what he is today. Takes more than just great players, takes a great team.

I think Pendles is the exception rather than the rule. In my opinion even very good users of the ball tend to make alot of mistakes as a result of not being used to the pace of the game. One of our best ever users in Didak made alot of mistakes when he started. I reckon it took Dids a good 30 games before he looked anywhere near elite in his disposal. People said the same about Degoey in his first year. When he came back into the side late last year all of a sudden his ball use was better.

Give the kid time. I reckon he has done about as much as one could expect at this stage of his career.

Rushing kicks and making poor decisions are two different things. Poor decisions can be made by being rushed, but that doesn't neccessarily make a player a poor decision maker. That's a judgement that needs to be reserved until said player adjusts to the tempo of senior footy and actually has the opportunity to display their decision making without feeling rushed.

Whilst he looks a bit vanilla to me, (ok at most things, great at none), there have been plenty of promising signs, he can certainly find the ball alright and has a big tank to run hard and long all day.

Disposal not quite where it needs to be, composure under pressure, head over the ball, hard tackling, core strength to stay in the contest these are all areas he needs to work on.

We all know he's a good runner and he showed it yesterday.
Chased Motlop who felt the pressure and did his right foot outside banana kick that ended up with Wells.
A chain of handballs and Flippa was on the end of it to kick a goal.

Oh **** off, he had zero options and got a push in the back call go against him, not his fault.
Don't just stand there and be tackled. The dickhead could've hand balled it anywhere... He's a screwup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back