Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

You make your argument very convincingly, but a 24yo who played 70 games straight up to his hammy offers us plenty going forward.

Gotta give to get when it comes to trading but I wouldn’t like to see him go.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is exactly why he’s the type of player we can trade without losing much.

He will have massive trade value due to his young age, his fitness and his experience.

Quite frankly he is the ideal candidate (as Aish was last year) to free up salary cap and bring in a decent pick to the club that needs to go through a mini rebuild.

Phillips & 2020 1st for Gunston & 2021 2nd
Phillips & Lynch for T McDonald
Phillips & 2020 1st for Freo #10 & Connor Blakely
Phillips & 2020 1st for Suns # 5 & W Brodie(or 2MP)

Shortened games have taken away Phillip's main strength as a player which is his all quarter, all game running ability. That won't be the case going forward, although there is talk of permanently shorter quarters to a degree. I think Phillips' value to Collingwood should be assessed on his pre 2019 contribution. That makes him an AFL player getting a game at most clubs. The issue I have is his lack of a weapon aside from running hard. We have alternatives for his wing and players like Daicos or either Brown have more upside. Someone like Thomas could play in his position. That said I'd trade Thomas as well.

The bottom line is we need cap space, he has trade value and we have options for his position.

Yeah, I'm not too sure whether it's that they've taken away that ability or further highlighted other deficiencies in his game.

Tom Phillips has always been a great link between backline and forward line and is always available to receive the ball from those under pressure.

When other players are standing around, he is always making space, receiving the ball, then kicking into our forward 50.
I would be very sorry if he leaves as we really need his run.
Sure but then he kicks it to a pack or the opposition and it comes straight back

Seems the writing is on the wall for Tom. Been a solid contributor and good citizen, but overall we can afford to lose him, but provided we get fair compensation and use to get upgraded talent in.

Same for WHE - be happy to trade him.

With him on an inflated contract, we are gonna get peanuts for him.

To Gold Coast for Will Brodie is probably the best case scenario.

Alternatively, could potentially be used to sweaten Brown/Gunston deals

He’s on the edge of being a really good VFL player and 22nd best in AFL.
I can’t see us getting much for him but,
sometimes opposition clubs don’t see as much as the players club and supporters, we ride every possession. We may getting lucky.

reduced list sizes means more players are being moved on. more players available = lower value.
Ok yeap, so using that logic, Phillips should be worth less than he usually is right? Especially given his inflated price tag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sometimes opposition clubs don’t see as much as the players club and supporters, we ride every possession. We may getting lucky.

He’s far better than that, even on 2020 form which wasn’t his best.

Phillips' downside is his kicking. Is it possible for a mature player to learn how to kick? Anyone know of any examples of players turning this around?

Phillips' downside is his kicking. Is it possible for a mature player to learn how to kick? Anyone know of any examples of players turning this around?

Taylor Adams. It's obvious how much work Tay has put in on an obvious weakness in his game. He was a bloody awful kick when he came to the club & although he still isn't elite, he has improved considerably.

I don’t think he has a bad kick/technique but he seems unable to find the time to execute a pass like a Pendles, especially under pressure. Maybe needs to work on evasive skills to get passed at least the first opponent.

I'd like to keep him, but given how we played him position-wise this year the writing is on the wall.

And there'd be some decent trade currency there too for him, so if he gets some assurances on his future then good luck to him I'd say

It's not just his kicking but he lacks pace which often finds him out. Opposition have been letting him run free since he started because they know he doesn't hurt you, if only it was just his kicking

Rantall’s running is touted to be as good, so maybe that’s another reason why Phillips is being advised that he’s tradeable.
Let's hope they aren't the same types of player. Remember Hine saying wheb they recruited Rantall that he was an elite runner but needed to work on his kicking.....sounds familiar

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's hope they aren't the same types of player. Remember Hine saying wheb they recruited Rantall that he was an elite runner but needed to work on his kicking.....sounds familiar

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
By all reports he has already done that work. Taylor Adams described his work ethic as off the charts, basically didn’t understand why there was a limit on the number of times he was advised to train each day.

By all reports he has already done that work. Taylor Adams described his work ethic as off the charts, basically didn’t understand why there was a limit on the number of times he was advised to train each day.
Hopefully thats the case , amazing if he has overcome it that quick. Where did you reas this?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'm not a Tom Phillips fan boy and his short comings are quite obvious but he was top 10 in the Best and Fairest 2 seasons in a row prior to this year, and in a year we made the Grand Final.

I wouldn't exactly call that a really good VFL player.

Runner-up to Judd in the B&F. Man, how bad was their list that year?
When you look at the names he beat it sorta defies comprehension. Murphy finished 3rd (22 games), Gibbs finished 4th (23 games) and Carazzo finished 5th (23 games). Surprised that Betts did so poorly despite kicking 43 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back