Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was wonderful yesterday, serviceable season. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd say better than serviceable. The best thing about the win against Brisbane was that it wasn't the stars who dragged us across the line. Phillips, Degoey, Stephenson and Cox all stood up in the end and got us the four points.

I'd like to see him show poise in more then one match.
Not many kids have poise when they are starting out, are not fully confident they ‘belong’ and are still learning to deal with the increased pressure of AFL footy.

Up to 31 games in total now, he is looking more confident each week and unsurprisingly he is starting to make better decisions and less mistakes.

Not many kids have poise when they are starting out, are not fully confident they ‘belong’ and are still learning to deal with the increased pressure of AFL footy.

Up to 31 games in total now, he is looking more confident each week and unsurprisingly he is starting to make better decisions and less mistakes.
The week before he showed the exact opposite of poise. I'll wait before proclaiming he has it.

I am a self proclaimed Phillips basher ...soft, slow, panic merchant.

I thought he was outstanding against Brisbane, was cleaner by foot...and was not as weak with head over ball. I’m hoping he’s turned a corner.

I would be more than happy to eat humble pie, I would eat s**t if meant we win a premiership. Keep building young man!

The week before he showed the exact opposite of poise. I'll wait before proclaiming he has it.
That is the point, not many kids who have played just 20 odd games are playing consistent quality footy.

He is doing a damn fine job for someone who has just ticked over 30 games.

Check out how an now elite small outside runner in Gaff, was travelling in his third season.

That is the point, not many kids who have played just 20 odd games are playing consistent quality footy.

He is doing a damn fine job for someone who has just ticked over 30 games.

Check out how an now elite small outside runner in Gaff, was travelling in his third season.
I think Gaff's problem was consistency not poise in his third year.

We should know by now that players rarely show from game 1 what they have in their future. I have posted before that for his first few years, I thought Swan was a battler filling in space until we found a good player. That was pretty far from the mark. Phillips has shown a lot in his first years, and I just don't see the reason for all the criticism as he receives. He gets the ball an awful lot for a dud.
Cox is another that seems to be viewed with no patience.
And now Appleby is in for it. 2 games, and quite good ones I thought, and already he is being written off.
Murray copped it before he pulled a boot on, was grudgingly given some credit after a blazing start, and now is under fire again for being too much the player we desperately wanted.
Langdon is still attacked regularly, despite his incredible courage in the air.
Scharenberg is questioned repeatedly despite his work to overcome injuries that would have most of us in despair.
And then there have been the years of calling for Sidebottom to be traded.
We certainly don't celebrate what we have.

Some footballers are born and some become footballers through sheer will and hard work. Phillips is an example of the latter while Stephenson is an example of the former. I'm going on the interviews I've read about Phillips where he has stated he has the endurance to outrun and outwork any opposition player. You don't get that unless you have the ambition to succeed and belief in your own abilities and the dedication to work hard to achieve your ambitions. He sets a good example for rest of us, mere mortals.

Very awkward viewing here.

Ranked 22 in the comp currently via AFL Player Ratings, has scored higher than Siddey this year, averages 28 disposals a game, 14th total disposals, 16th effective disposals, stills seems to cop a whack around here.

Oh and he only just turned 22.

If only the raw numbers told the full story....

I don't recall anyone ever questioning that he has talent and potential so not sure why people feel the need to grandstand. Sunday's game was far and away his best 4 quarter effort for the club but it was essentially a free flowing shootout. Now needs to back that sort of performance up more consistently and do it when the defensive pressure is really on. Another big test for him this week against the Cats.

Last edited:
If he doesn’t play it would be a lot more obvious how important he is, he’s one of our most unaccountable players but runs all day

EFA

We may overrate our own but we also underrate our own. Wonder if we accurately rate any of our own?!

Like to think I'm guilty of all 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should know by now that players rarely show from game 1 what they have in their future. I have posted before that for his first few years, I thought Swan was a battler filling in space until we found a good player. That was pretty far from the mark. Phillips has shown a lot in his first years, and I just don't see the reason for all the criticism as he receives. He gets the ball an awful lot for a dud.
Cox is another that seems to be viewed with no patience.
And now Appleby is in for it. 2 games, and quite good ones I thought, and already he is being written off.
Murray copped it before he pulled a boot on, was grudgingly given some credit after a blazing start, and now is under fire again for being too much the player we desperately wanted.
Langdon is still attacked regularly, despite his incredible courage in the air.
Scharenberg is questioned repeatedly despite his work to overcome injuries that would have most of us in despair.
And then there have been the years of calling for Sidebottom to be traded.
We certainly don't celebrate what we have.

Is that you DTM?

I've been very critical of him and in my opinion justifiably so but I'm happy for you to point to where I've ever suggested he's a dud.

I certainly was one to question his hurt factor previously but, I am delighted with his form this year, still young and learning the caper at this level and is doing very, very well, just keeps getting the ball, looks more composed this year and is finding more targets. Probably a little under-rated by many on this board at the moment I feel.

Is that you DTM?

I've been very critical of him and in my opinion justifiably so but I'm happy for you to point to where I've ever suggested he's a dud.
Who is DTM? Not me anyway.
If you are taking this as a personal attack, it isn't. My comments were general, and an indictment of the negative view of a great many posters on here. I hadn't read any particular post before I wrote mine. The word "dud" was my own and not derived from any post at all.

We probably would have lost sunday if he had not been there and not just in the last qtr either,the goal he kicked was a very nice piece of composed play and good finish.
He starting to look like a quality player and definitely belongs at this level and I agree would be top 5 in the copeland on form.

Who is DTM? Not me anyway.
If you are taking this as a personal attack, it isn't. My comments were general, and an indictment of the negative view of a great many posters on here. I hadn't read any particular post before I wrote mine. The word "dud" was my own and not derived from any post at all.

Our own legendary Tradedraft was formally known as Dave the Man (DTM)

We probably would have lost sunday if he had not been there and not just in the last qtr either,the goal he kicked was a very nice piece of composed play and good finish.
He starting to look like a quality player and definitely belongs at this level and I agree would be top 5 in the copeland on form.

Would always have been a tougher ask with only 21 players.

When our game plan in the first couple of weeks was to move the ball by foot he struggled with consistently hitting targets because his foot skills are poor. I think you will find if you re-watch these games you will find he does his best work under pressure and distributing the ball by hand. He is rarely fumbles below his knees under pressure. Now fast forward to our fast moving, running and creating game plan where his strengths are completely utilised he is starting to thrive.

We need to get Phillips on the Steele Sidebottom bulking program asap as they are very similar. Sidebottoms focus has changed from running to increasing his size. He hasnt lost his ability as an endurance athlete but he has now added the ability to break tackles through pure strength and using rather than relying on gut running to beat his opponent. Again Sidebottom has elite vision and awareness and we are now utilising this more often. This is what we need for Phillips, start putting some size on now young man you already have the running capability.

Does anyone else think Phillips might have something to do with Sidey going next level this year? To me it seems like Phillips has taken on Sidebottoms old gut-running role, which has allowed Sidey to take on a slightly different and more damaging role. He certainly seems to get to a lot of the same positions and have the same ‘types’ of possessions as ‘old Sidey’. Anyone else see this?

If only the raw numbers told the full story....

I don't recall anyone ever questioning that he has talent and potential so not sure why people feel the need to grandstand.

You are kidding right? People love to grandstand on here and write players off after just a few games. Look at the moronic and premature comments by some on Appleby right now. Can see why some feel the need to give some grandstanding back when a much maligned player plays well.

Does anyone else think Phillips might have something to do with Sidey going next level this year? To me it seems like Phillips has taken on Sidebottoms old gut-running role, which has allowed Sidey to take on a slightly different and more damaging role. He certainly seems to get to a lot of the same positions and have the same ‘types’ of possessions as ‘old Sidey’. Anyone else see this?

Yes, I agree. Was thinking the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back