Tom Rockliff

Remove this Banner Ad

No question he's been underwhelming to this stage but he's a very good player and I expect him to be the same at Port.

I think you need to think a little about his circumstances to try and get a feel for where he's at right now. A few set backs in the lead up to the season, and now he's playing in a side (due respect to Brisbane) that more often than not plays in games where both sides are up for the contest. It's hard, tough, confrontational footy and for the better part of his senior AFL career he probably hasn't experienced much like he is right now. That would be hard to immediately adjust too - very hard.

He's trying to find his place and how and where he fits in. He's a good player, might take a bit longer than we all hope but the more he plays, the more accustomed he becomes to the type of games he'll now be a part of the sooner we'll see him playing to his ability.

The telling thing with Rockliff is that he will be more disappointed with his first 2 weeks than anyone else. It's been hinted at in some interviews that other players/coaches have given after both wins. It's a measure of the perfectionist he is, that he will be desperate to contribute sooner rather than later. He has seemed a little more reserved in his celebration of our early season performances than Watts or Motlop, perhaps because he hasn't quite felt a part of it yet.

He will click soon enough. The key is that we need him to lift when others are not at their best. On those occasions when Wines or Ebert are not getting the job done in the midfield, that's when we need to be able to throw Rockliff and R Gray in there to turn the game our way.

Dunno what the issue is.
Whenever there was a congested situation that Rockliff was involved in I felt secure that Sydney was not going to rebound easily, and they didn't.
That was one of our issues last year.

He may not be anywhere near his best but is already contributing positively with things that are not measured in stats.

2 weeks in and it's looking like Rockliff is having the hardest time adjusting out of the 3 boom recruits. Thinking about it a bit, it's not really surprising. Yes he is recovering from injury but he's also come into a team loaded with talent for the positions he plays. Motlop (Impey) and Watts (Trengove) were very much direct plug and play additions but Rockliff is more another cog in the midfield/forward machine and is there to support Wines and SPP. Keep in mind Wines and SPP absolutely smashed it this early in the season last year. It was the winter slog where they struggled and where we will really need Rockliff. All in all, not concerned in the least, he will come good.

Another butter ball performance against Brisbane and back to the 2s he goes.
We have too much talent down there to avoid making difficult decisions.
No doubt he will come good and eventually find his place.

Another butter ball performance against Brisbane and back to the 2s he goes.
We have too much talent down there to avoid making difficult decisions.
No doubt he will come good and eventually find his place.
I know what you are saying, but we all know its not going to happen. He is just too much class, and even playing off his best, is still as good or even better than any Magoo replacement. Watching the replay again, I was surprised to note how many classy touches he had that were telling when the game was there to be won.

Unless injured, he wont be going anywhere, and will only get better.

You watch those nature documentaries on Discovery Channel?

You see the one about lions?

You got this lion. He’s the king of the jungle, huge mane out to here. He’s laying under a tree, in the middle of Africa. He’s so big, it’s so hot. He doesn’t want to move. Now the little lions come, they start messing with him. Biting his tail, biting his ears. He doesn’t do anything. The lioness, she starts messing with him. Coming over, making trouble. Still nothing.

Now the other animals, they notice this. They start to move in. The jackals; hyenas. They’re barking at him, laughing at him. They nip his toes, and eat the food that’s in his domain. They do this, then they get closer and closer, bolder and bolder.

Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the s**t out of everybody. Runs like the wind, eats everything in his path.

Cause every once in a while, the lion has to show the jackals, who he is.

You got this lion. He’s the king of the jungle, huge mane out to here. He’s laying under a tree, in the middle of Africa. He’s so big, it’s so hot. He doesn’t want to move. Now the little lions come, they start messing with him. Biting his tail, biting his ears. He doesn’t do anything. The lioness, she starts messing with him. Coming over, making trouble. Still nothing.

Now the other animals, they notice this. They start to move in. The jackals; hyenas. They’re barking at him, laughing at him. They nip his toes, and eat the food that’s in his domain. They do this, then they get closer and closer, bolder and bolder.

Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the s**t out of everybody. Runs like the wind, eats everything in his path.

This would have worked better if he still played for the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Form is temporary. Class is permament.

He will be fine. Let him get a few reps in and get used to our system. He probably has the biggest adjustment of any of our recruits, going from top dog to third or fourth in line. Once the wet weather hits he will give us the extra grunt we have lacked mid season.

yeah ive got no issues with his performances. Playing like a guy whos coming off of surgery with no preseason. Hes an absolute jet and its only a matter of time

Im actually expecting that this week will be a big one for him, great time to be copping his former team and I think it will be the start of his rise to his regular form...

He doesn't seem to want to bend down to collect the pill around stoppages. Concerning. I have faith he'll turn it around though. Looks a little small through the arms and hips too.

I honestly think he is just working out how to play in our side, it takes time for many players.

He has to adjust to 21 other players and a new gameplan, I really wouldn’t expect to see his best until the second half of the season. Ditto for Watts, Barry and Motlop though some will adjust faster.

Think about how long it takes to adjust to a new team/project/workplace. I’ve heard three months thrown around as how long it takes to really start contributing as part of a new environment and I absolutely believe it.

Pool Hall Junkies,
fun flick.

So what you're saying is Rocky's nothing, but a mammal and needs to do it, like they do on the Discovery Channel? :D

Motlop (Impey) and Watts (Trengove) were very much direct plug and play additions but Rockliff is more another cog in the midfield/forward machine and is there to support Wines and SPP.
Just on this, I know that the commentary around the trades - mainly from Victoria - would suggest that Motlop is just a like for like with Impey... I disagree, I see Barry as the Impey replacement. Motlop offers absolute finishing class in front of goals and will pinpoint leading forwards 9 times out of 10 - Jarman didnt offer either of these to our team.
I do agree that Rocky is a complimentary midfield/ forward type rather than a replacement for any out.

This would have worked better if he still played for the Lions.

You watch those energy documentaries on Discovery Science?

You see the one about power?

You got this power. He’s the king of the grid, huge amperes out to here. He’s laying in a substation, in the middle of Torrens Island. He’s so charged, it’s so bright. He doesn’t want to move. Now the little shorts come, they start messing with him. Tripping his circuit breaker, tripping his safety switch. He doesn’t do anything. The surge comes, it starts messing with him. Coming over, making sparks. Still nothing...

I expect him to improve, but definitely have seen him stand off in contests, and not bend over to collect balls a couple of times. Seems still a bit uncertain about his body to me. Hope we didnt bring him back too early. The good news is unlike if he had gone to Carlton for instance and was expected to be getting 30+ a game, he can play himself in to a bit of form without the pressure given the players around him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back