Tom Rockliff

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a lot of similarities between how the hawks utilised Sam Mitchell and how we use Rocky, a defensive on ball quarterback. They sit defensive side of ruck and are used as a pressure valve to distribute the ball out to high percentage/uncontested contests.

We talking about Rockliff?

Mitchell was spearing guys lace out from both sides of the body.
Rockliffs "kicks" more often than not don't have a target or even see the ball rotate correctly.

We talking about Rockliff?

Mitchell was spearing guys lace out from both sides of the body.
Rockliffs "kicks" more often than not don't have a target or even see the ball rotate correctly.

They would’ve been on similar money.

$700,000 this year and next to play as the rough equivalent of Dom Cassisi 2014.

D’oh.
With the amount of money we are paying Rockliff and Wines to collectively form one ok slow midfielder we could have signed prime Lance Franklin and had change to spare.

Last edited:
With the amount of money we are pay Rockliff and Wines to collectively form one ok slow midfielder we could have signed prime Lance Franklin and had change to spare.

Or... bear with me, paid Wingard and Howard.

PS - who am I kidding. we could have the All-Australian Team in Port colours and still find a way to be mediocre.

I'm still a big fan of rocky. But his body is no good. I mean he has never had speed but watching him plod around worse then ever saddens me. He needs to get his body sorted.

The fact you have to list this once in a generation player says it's probably the exception that proves the rule..
Well thats only for own team. I'm sure half a dozen others could be scraped together for the last decade

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Well thats only for own team. I'm sure half a dozen others could be scraped together for the last decade

Again, the exception that proves the rule.

Robbie is not even a good example, now he's hindered / losing his mobility he's clearly far less effective as a forward than he might be as a midfielder.

There's just not enough space in the congestion of the modern day forward line for slower players to find the ball.

Again, the exception that proves the rule.

Robbie is not even a good example, now he's hindered / losing his mobility he's clearly far less effective as a forward than he might be as a midfielder.

There's just not enough space in the congestion of the modern day forward line for slower players to find the ball.

Depending on what you call 'modern', 'small' and 'slower' all these players came to mind as 'exceptions'

Hayden Ballantyne
Stephen Milne
Mark Le Cras
Brad Johnson
Luke Breust
Paul Puopolo
Gary Ablett Jr (the version that came back to Geelong) is not fast and not tall
Peter Daicos
Stevie J. Tallish I guess.
Jeff Farmer. He wasn't slow, but pace wasn't what made him the Wiz. But we can leave him off if its an issue for you.

Skill and pressure acts define the modern small forward. Pressure acts are so important these days they are broken down into several categories by coaches:

Corralling – when a player guards space so an opponent is limited with run and where he can go;
Chasing – a player from behind and gaining ground;
Closing – a player down from in front or to the side of his disposal;
Physical pressure – when a player gets a hand to a player while he is disposing of the ball.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think I’d like to see SPP play the main inside mid bull role, with Drew as his backup.

so if there was value on thetrade table for Wines I’d take it.

Don’t think Rocky is worth anything - would make a great SANFL captain (but so would Ebert)

I'm still a big fan of rocky. But his body is no good. I mean he has never had speed but watching him plod around worse then ever saddens me. He needs to get his body sorted.

He came here with a bung shoulder which he’s had operated on three times since he arrived.

If this was soccer he’d have failed the medical and the deal wouldn’t have gone through. At Port? We ignore it and give him $2,800,000 over 4 years.

Horrendous.

He came here with a bung shoulder which he’s had operated on three times since he arrived.

If this was soccer he’d have failed the medical and the deal wouldn’t have gone through. At Port? We ignore it and give him $2,800,000 over 4 years.

Horrendous.
Yeh was probably poor from Port. Lions and Rockliff win that one.

Horrendous.
I got a week off a few years ago for voicing similar (albiet a bit more colourfully) resentment towards bringing his broken ass to the club.

I don’t know if it’s the shoulder but I’ve seen Rocky a couple of times not even attempt to block an opponent, I don’t know if he can’t change feet or can’t lead with the left side with any power .
To think we were on a winner when we recruited Rockliff, Watts and Motlop , at least Motlops hanging in there and we may possibly get some good football out of Watts . If it is physical from Rocky , get him right while blooding some new midfield talent and he might get through his contract

His entire body looks devoid of definition and tone right now, fair enough with his arms and shoulder, but why are his legs looking like a 18 year old draftee?

Last edited:
His entire body looks devoid of definition and time right now, fair enough with his arms and shoulder, but why are his legs looking like a 18 year old draftee?

Probably don't want him doing heaps of leg work because of his neural tension or whatever they want to call it.

He's like robbie if robbie had none of his talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back