Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
He's contracted so will more than likely be in Brisbane next year. And the Lions have lost enough players lately so will probably be pretty keen to keep him beyond that.

But I wonder if they might be persuaded to trade him, particularly if Rockliff is trying to force a deal by not re-signing.

I wonder what Brisbane fans think. Is it a case of 'no way, must keep'? Or more like 'top 10 pick, let's talk'?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Would any club in the league pay him 800k?

He's a decent player, can certainly extract and accumulate but in a better team he'd be the 3rd or 4th best mid.

On the other hand though, Brisbane should be looking to trade him. His trade currency is at its highest, their midfield talent isn't too bad and he's a polarising figure around the club.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe he'd accept less elsewhere?

He's a decent player, can certainly extract and accumulate but in a better team he'd be the 3rd or 4th best mid.
Surely there are a few clubs who'd look at him if he wanted to leave Brisbane.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Old tommy 1-2. I don't think he worth a top 10 pick. As said above me he stands out at Brisbane but would be 3rd option most other clubs. Possibly worth a pick in the teens.

Rockliff will go for whatever price a club is prepared to pay for him and Brisbane are prepared to trade him at.

Given that Rockliff is contracted until 2017, is 26 years old with a 126 games under his belt, is the Club's captain and is one of the top half dozen players at the Lions, Brisbane wouldn't be trading him at the end of this year, for anything less than a Top 10 pick. In fact they wouldn't trade him at all, unless the offer was too good to refuse and that would have to include a Top Ten draft pick.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Rockliff will go for whatever price a club is prepared to pay for him and Brisbane are prepared to trade him at.

Given that Rockliff is contracted until 2017, is 26 years old with a 126 games under his belt, is the Club's captain and is one of the top half dozen players at the Lions, Brisbane wouldn't be trading him at the end of this year, for anything less than a Top 10 pick. In fact they wouldn't trade him at all, unless the offer was too good to refuse and that would have to include a Top Ten draft pick.
I don't expect Brisbane to trade him. I fully expect him to stay at the Lions, I was just saying what I think he is worth

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

On the other hand though, Brisbane should be looking to trade him. His trade currency is at its highest, their midfield talent isn't too bad and he's a polarising figure around the club.
I'd 100% take him at Hawthorn

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

Would Rockliff be a free agent at the end of 2017?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Maybe he'd accept less elsewhere?

Surely there are a few clubs who'd look at him if he wanted to leave Brisbane.

No doubt a number of clubs would be interested, but it comes down to what another club is willing to pay him.

Tom Mitchell is seeking 600k and my evaluation would be similar for Rockliff.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Would Rockliff be a free agent at the end of 2017?

From what I understand, Rockliff meets the eligibility criteria as a restricted free agent. Drafted in 2008. 2009 was his first season. Would have 9 years under his belt and be 27 years of age by the end of 2017.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Personally I think he will stay. But if he were to go I wonder if the Bombers would come in with pick 1? They have already said #1 is on the table. This draft is all mids up the top so taking a Ready made like Rockliff would be smart for them

No doubt a number of clubs would be interested, but it comes down to what another club is willing to pay him.

Tom Mitchell is seeking 600k and my evaluation would be similar for Rockliff.

Rocky is looking for something around the $800k mark, after a Brisbane over of $650k-$700k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Personally I think he will stay. But if he were to go I wonder if the Bombers would come in with pick 1? They have already said #1 is on the table. This draft is all mids up the top so taking a Ready made like Rockliff would be smart for them
Pick #1 would be overs for Rockliff, We'd want something back as well. Partly as I think we'll want younger players than him given when we're likely to be up and about again.

I really don't think we'd be interested unless we were getting something else pretty good back as well, in which case why would Brisbane be interested in trading with us?

Jul 23, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Might trade for unders if it helps with their case for a priority pick

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
From what I understand, Rockliff meets the eligibility criteria as a restricted free agent. Drafted in 2008. 2009 was his first season. Would have 9 years under his belt and be 27 years of age by the end of 2017.
So this is the knock-on effect of free agency, isn't it?

Brisbane would have to sit him down and ask him what his plans are. Does he really want to stay or is he just stalling on a new deal and doesn't actually plan on sticking around beyond 2017?

If he is in fact asking for $4 million over 5 years, that sounds like a bullshit ambit claim designed to prevent a new deal getting done.

If that's the case, surely Brisbane should entertain a reasonable trade this year, rather than lose him as a free agent at the end of 2017.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I was just saying what I think he is worth

All I was saying is that Rockliff is worth whatever price a club is prepared to pay for him and Brisbane are prepared to trade him at.

I have no idea what other clubs are prepared to pay for him. However IF Brisbane were to trade him at the end of this season (to say for argument's sake, St Kilda), they would seek no less than a Top Ten draft pick.

Maybe. I'm less confident about the vagaries of the compensation system.

I also think it's highly unlikely Rockliff would get that kind of money.

It is going to get very complicated in the next 12 months but let me break this down.

For top level compensation he needs to be in the top 15% of players above 25. Currently that is about $750,000+

The complication is that with a new player agreement coming in, potentially a higher salary cap, there will be contracts signed the end of this season based off a new salary cap. If the cap doubles then we can assume the top 15% of the players over 25 would be higher too, so this season could be very good for free agent compensation as most players would be signed under the old cap - every year more contracts move over to the new salary cap and the advantage is reduced.

So $800,000 might not be enough for band 1 compensation next year, but an otherwise average player could get paid $800,000 average over 4 years this offseason and get band 1, as their contract will be off the new salary cap and the club can afford more with the highest ratio of old contracts to new on the AFL books.

**numbers are examples and based off a rough guestimate example of a doubled salary cap

Back