Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

They hand out crack with Collingwood memberships these days?
Memberships with the crack I think is the order

He makes sense to trade if they could land a good deal for him. Example would be 4&8 out of Gold Coast with a later pick heading to gcs (20?)

Adelaide would be an ideal destination as they need another experienced, quality mid
Strange they have ruled it out

Your sources had dinner parties and TSR was "quietly confident"...it was all BS. Things happen 12 mths in advance. There was never any doubt.

The sources were confident he would come. There is a difference between that and offering him a contract.

The reality is the sources last year were crap. There is no other way around it.

What were they right about that actually happened?

My sources?

One guy on BF was quietly confident, huh?

Some were hopeful Dangerfield would want to stick by his mates after Walsh's death. The vast majority just thought it obvious he was leaving.

No one claimed a fool proof source.

Of course, there were a few that said the Crows were planning to match and force you to trade. True. There was one or two who heard about Menzel. True.

How are those sources at Geelong that said Danger would come for free and you'd not have to trade?

He makes sense to trade if they could land a good deal for him. Example would be 4&8 out of Gold Coast with a later pick heading to gcs (20?)

Adelaide would be an ideal destination as they need another experienced, quality mid

WTF, 4&8 he's not Fyfe

What's the go with Rockliff. Talking Footy inferred he had put himself out on the market with little interest in him. Clearly hasn't been the smoothest sailing in Brisbane, but I assume being Captain is like being Coach - a virtually impossible task.

If Mitchell were to stay in Sydney with Rockliff's ability to get the pill he could be an amazing addition to the Hawks.

Memberships with the crack I think is the order

If true (Haven't been keeping track of the news), I can only assume he's asking for too much coin.

Rockliff is a sucky trade target because he has the salary and profile of a club captain/team's best player without actually being that good.

Rockliff at his best is elite. I struggle to think of a midfielder at the Eagles better than him. Only one player averaged more disposals when you take out his injury affected games. I know your reply is going to be Andrew Gaff. That bloke struggles to stick tackles and run hard enough defensively.

Over 30 disposals, 7 clearances, 7 tackles and a goal per game minus games where he was taken off with injury this year....

Queue the "Rockliff has no impact" statement.

Stats aren't far off
Rockliff is an elite ball winner. Given you will lose one of those picks on Bowes, adding the second to go one better than Hartlett isn't a bad deal

I'd say those stats are off. Perhaps different years? If you looks at Rockliff's 2016 minus those two games he was off before half time with injury and Fyfe's Brownlow year:

Rockliff averages more disposals, marks, tackles and goals. Fyfe averages more Clearances and Contested possessions.

* Not at all suggesting Rockliff is the better player.

Stats aren't far off
Rockliff is an elite ball winner. Given you will lose one of those picks on Bowes, adding the second to go one better than Hartlett isn't a bad deal
has a jaw of glass ;)

I could live with pick 8 and a nod from our big brother not to bid on Bowes with pick 2 bit 2 first rounders is too steep IMO

Rockliff at his best is elite.

I'd say those stats are off. Perhaps different years? If you looks at Rockliff's 2016 minus those two games he was off before half time with injury and Fyfe's Brownlow year:

Rockliff averages more disposals, marks, tackles and goals. Fyfe averages more Clearances and Contested possessions.

* Not at all suggesting Rockliff is the better player.
i did 2015 vs 2015 for the sake of an even comparison.

Rockliff is in the same elite category as Fyfe. He isn't as good but he isn't light years off.
If he was leaving, 4 and 8 for Rockliff and 20 isn't a bad deal for GCS i wouldnt think.

has a jaw of glass ;)

I could live with pick 8 and a nod from our big brother not to bid on Bowes with pick 2 bit 2 first rounders is too steep IMO
if that was allowed, which i don't see why not, then sure.

4 is a worry.
I think if brisbane get a PP @ Pick 3, Bowes will be bid on before 4.
He isn't a huge risk for them as he a QLD boy, so there is no flight risk.
Fwiw, i don't think Freo or Essendon will bid. So its really what does Brisbane do.

My guess is you gamble on 4 being there before the bid and trade out 8 for Hartlett, part of a Rockliff deal, etc.

Rockliff at his best is elite. I struggle to think of a midfielder at the Eagles better than him. Only one player averaged more disposals when you take out his injury affected games. I know your reply is going to be Andrew Gaff. That bloke struggles to stick tackles and run hard enough defensively.

Over 30 disposals, 7 clearances, 7 tackles and a goal per game minus games where he was taken off with injury this year....

Queue the "Rockliff has no impact" statement.

Rockliff isn't elite. He's a good player but if it wasn't for Dream Team he wouldn't be talked about nearly as much.

My reply was going to be Luke Shuey but yeah I wouldn't trade Gaff for Rockliff, even though they play different positions. 26 touches from Shuey >>> 30 from Rockliff. Gaff gets a heap more uncontested ball, inside 50s and kicks. He's a better user than Rockliff and as I said plays a different role anyway so I'm not really phased how many tackles or clearances he gets.

Rockliff has an impact but not that of an elite player. He's played 7 full/near full seasons and none of them have involved winning more than losing so he's hardly a player you build a team around. Rockliff has had 45 or more touches 5 times and 4 out of those 5 games Brisbane have been smacked. What kind of 'impact' is that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff isn't elite. He's a good player but if it wasn't for Dream Team he wouldn't be talked about nearly as much.

My reply was going to be Luke Shuey but yeah I wouldn't trade Gaff for Rockliff, even though they play different positions. 26 touches from Shuey >>> 30 from Rockliff. Gaff gets a heap more uncontested ball, inside 50s and kicks. He's a better user than Rockliff and as I said plays a different role anyway so I'm not really phased how many tackles or clearances he gets.

Rockliff has an impact but not that of an elite player. He's played 7 full/near full seasons and none of them have involved winning more than losing so he's hardly a player you build a team around. Rockliff has had 45 or more touches 5 times and 4 out of those 5 games Brisbane have been smacked. What kind of 'impact' is that?
wouldnt that suggest Brisbane are a poor team....as their recent ladder positions would imply?

While i haven't watched every one of Rockliff's games, the ones I've seen i don't recall him having bad disposal or turning it over all that often.
He doesnt have a whole lot around him to use the ball with.
Kicking to an Adelaide or GCS forward line would change that.

He's an elite ball getter and his tackling stats are strong.
If you want an inside mid with a high work rate, he's up there.

Why hasn't gold coasts gone after Rockliff,? Question marks over his attitude and pay but he is a matured gun who will really strengthen their mid especially after Prestia and o meara leave. Ablett Rockliff would be pretty cool TBH aswell

wouldnt that suggest Brisbane are a poor team....as their recent ladder positions would imply?

While i haven't watched every one of Rockliff's games, the ones I've seen i don't recall him having bad disposal or turning it over all that often.
He doesnt have a whole lot around him to use the ball with.
Kicking to an Adelaide or GCS forward line would change that.

He's an elite ball getter and his tackling stats are strong.
If you want an inside mid with a high work rate, he's up there.

Brisbane are a poor team, and Rockliff's so called elite-ness isn't helping that.

He's not a turnover merchant but his possessions aren't damaging. I doubt he would feature prominently in metres gained, for example.

Brisbane are a poor team, and Rockliff's so called elite-ness isn't helping that.

He's not a turnover merchant but his possessions aren't damaging. I doubt he would feature prominently in metres gained, for example.
Would love to see how he compares against other inside mids. Would imagine the metres gained stats for most pure inside mids would be pretty low, due to handballing a lot to extract the ball out of the contest.

Interestingly enough, take out Rockliff's 2 injury games this year and their basically dead even for average Inside 50's, Rockliff only averages 3 or 4 less uncontested possessions a game and only the one less effective kick per game despite playing a lot more inside and averaging more disposals.

Players do damage in different ways. Not every players has a kick that can break part zones or speed to split them. If there's only one or two good players on the night, no player from a losing team is going to have major impact on the match. You can blame the rest of the side and the coach for that.

As a Lions supporter, he is absolutely every bit the player Dayne Beams is.

Yah.

Rubbish argument. Danger and Selwood were BOG for the cats and they got smacked. It is possible to play well in a losing team you know?

Interestingly enough, take out Rockliff's 2 injury games this year and their basically dead even for average Inside 50's, Rockliff only averages 3 or 4 less uncontested possessions a game and only the one less effective kick per game despite playing a lot more inside and averaging more disposals.

Players do damage in different ways. Not every players has a kick that can break part zones or speed to split them. If there's only one or two good players on the night, no player from a losing team is going to have major impact on the match. You can blame the rest of the side and the coach for that.

As a Lions supporter, he is absolutely every bit the player Dayne Beams is.

Stats stats stats... Priddis is statistically the greatest Eagle every but outside winning the ball from the bottom of packs he has zero hurt factor. He regularly handpasses to teammates under pressure, chips 20m sideways etc. which are effective possessions but they don't mean anything. Rocky loves a cheap stat.

Like I said, Rockliff is a good player. If there was an all star game where two captains picked sides one by one like in primary school do you think he'd feature? I doubt it. He'd be lucky to be top 20 in his position, and that position is midfielder not 'pure inside mid' or any other made up nonsense.

Rubbish argument. Danger and Selwood were BOG for the cats and they got smacked. It is possible to play well in a losing team you know?

Geelong finished 2nd on the ladder. Brisbane finished 2nd last. Selwood has carried Geelong the last few years and Dangerfield's arrival took them from 9th to 2nd.

Being the best player in a poor side is great, but it doesn't make you elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back