Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

They've tightened it up a lot more recently, since the James Frawley debacle, but they also haven't announced the formula, ostensibly to prevent rorting. They have stated in the media that band 1 would have to be around the top 10 players in the comp - that sort of thing.

I'd suggest that, knowing the AFL, it's highly likely that the "formula" (if it exists) would likely specify bands, but would also likely include a significant margin of "judgment call". I could easily see them stating that over a mil is band 1, and under $800k is band 2, but between the two is at the discretion of the AFL. It also saves them having to worry about things like priority picks quite as often.

This is, unfortunately, a double-edged sword. The AFL would want to compensate us well, because we suck, and have done for a while. The AFL would also not want to compensate us because we're in QLD/NSW, and the AFL don't care what happens up here, unless you are:
a. GWS Giants, or
b. doing well, in which case they're happy to punish you for succeeding (Franklin, L. 2013)

So who knows which way it will go.

For the record, I think that we'll get band 2. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we put in a Priority Pick application again, and they may up us to band 1 instead. Frankly though, I think it's a long shot, and I think we're far more likely to get band 2.

He had really improved this year and looks fit. No club will pay band 1 so if I was Brisbane I would highly consider matching any offer they get. At this very moment Lions need contested players and not more kids.

Agree the Saints do, but surely that's the last thing Melbourne need?

Lewis, Jones, Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw

I think they'd be looking for some outside run and kpp's before another inside mid
Yeah I reckon our major list need right now is a key defender to play alongside T Mac. May would be ideal, he would complement T Mac really well. Doubt he leaves though. Considering we've followed similar paths on the ladder the past few years, It's funny how your major list need would be inside mids whereas for us that's probably the least of our priorities. Rockliff would make an immediate impact if you managed to get him, or even someone like Hopper who most likely won't have the immediate impact Rockliff would have but could be a better long term investment.

I hope North are right into him if the shooshka isn't silly.

His addition to our clearance structure would allow us to get Ziebell on the outside swinging between half back and the forward pocket a la Hodge.

It would be a win/win for us.

They've tightened it up a lot more recently, since the James Frawley debacle, but they also haven't announced the formula, ostensibly to prevent rorting. They have stated in the media that band 1 would have to be around the top 10 players in the comp - that sort of thing.

I'd suggest that, knowing the AFL, it's highly likely that the "formula" (if it exists) would likely specify bands, but would also likely include a significant margin of "judgment call". I could easily see them stating that over a mil is band 1, and under $800k is band 2, but between the two is at the discretion of the AFL. It also saves them having to worry about things like priority picks quite as often.

This is, unfortunately, a double-edged sword. The AFL would want to compensate us well, because we suck, and have done for a while. The AFL would also not want to compensate us because we're in QLD/NSW, and the AFL don't care what happens up here, unless you are:
a. GWS Giants, or
b. doing well, in which case they're happy to punish you for succeeding (Franklin, L. 2013)

So who knows which way it will go.

For the record, I think that we'll get band 2. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we put in a Priority Pick application again, and they may up us to band 1 instead. Frankly though, I think it's a long shot, and I think we're far more likely to get band 2.

They announced the formula back in 2015.

- Band 1 is top 5% of players aged 25+.
- Band 2 is top 15%.
etc

It was revealed that the AFL adds all the base and additional services agreement (ASA) payments of players aged 25 or older, of whom there are about 270, to determine where the free agent's new contract sits.

AFL.com.au understands that if a free agent's new contract puts them in the top five per cent of that group at the time the free agency offer is lodged, then their former club is eligible to receive a first-round compensation pick.

The AFL also explained that if a player's contract offer ranked in the next 10 per cent band then he would command compensation at the end of the first round, the next 15 per cent earned a second-round pick and the next 20 per cent earned a pick at the end of the second round.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-

Would be more like 750k-800k at least imo.

I backed off on 700.. Im just not sure how many 25+ players there are. The the top 5% of that 25+... Just looking at the Geelong list we have 21 players at 25+ ... if thats consistent... it would mean that the player almost has to be in the top or second top player on each list in that age group. 700 may well be correct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id think that would be a questionable choice. How much is he on at Brisbane now ? A guys 27 turning 28.. even a band is what..end of r1?

It's not so much to do with his age for mine. But about where our list is at age wise and the lack of leaders we have. If he can keep his leadership up of course. I think Rockliff will be able to play high quality football until 32/33. All depends on how his body holds up of course. Gets talked about as injury prone but really, most of his time spent on the sidelines has been due to unlucky injures such as broken ribs x2

Will definitely be round 1. The club making a play for him will make sure of it. Reckon he'll command 700k+ there's a few clubs with a lot in the bank ATM and getting some1 of rockliffs caliber in for just a chunk of the salary cap is a no brainer.

Let's be real here. It's the AFL, so even if he isn't band 1 as the Lions are struggling at the moment the Afl will give them band 1 as a backdoor hand up.

If they wanted to do that they could have just made the PP last year pick 3

Nah, the term PP holds too much resistance from the other clubs. A first round Compo pick that no one work out if deserved or not is easier.

Actually a fair point mate. See what you mean

Let's be real here. It's the AFL, so even if he isn't band 1 as the Lions are struggling at the moment the Afl will give them band 1 as a backdoor hand up.
You haven't monitored the AFL's handling of Brisbane very closely over the last decade, have you. The AFL don't give us meaningful assistance.

AFL had a great opportunity to do just that with the Leuenberger compensation - we'd been down for a long time. No hope on the horizon. Our key ruckman, pick 4 in the draft, snared by the bombers... There'd been talk around here about the AFL using it as a leg up for us - he's about as valuable as Frawley after all. The club actually stated they were hoping for first round compensation. AFL came out with Band 4 - end of 2nd round.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/12e3057d51c3980adf4451d40c1598ea

Most people would agree that we're too far behind the pack, but the AFL won't have a bar of it. Mark my words, any form of priority pick discussion will be met with "young, promising list", and "solid talent base". Completely ignoring all statistical analysis, which states that we're in the bottom 3 for talent based on draft position, despite being down the bottom for so long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back