Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

A poor mans Wayne Campbell!

Is he? Well there you go.

And still
- the current Brisbane Lions captain
- twice best and fairest at the Lions (2011 and 2014)
- All-Australian in 2014
- 5th in the Brownlow with 21 votes in 2013 (53 votes overall)

all for the fifth selection in the 2008 Pre-season Draft.

And wants to stay at the Lions too. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Last edited:
That's great.

Still doesn't change the fact that
- he's the current Brisbane Lions captain
- he's a twice best and fairest at the Lions (2011 and 2014)
- he was All-Australian in 2014
- he finished 5th in the Brownlow with 21 votes in 2013

And he wants to stay at the Lions.

Enjoy.

Andrew Hamilton just dished out a serving on him. Hanley name lurks as well, whats going down

Staying. We cant afford to lose him. He will get better as the team does (hopefully).

Take out his injury affected games and he averages a handy 32.6 disposals, 12.6 contested possessions, 6.2 clearances, 7.5 tackles, 4 Inside 50's and 1 Goal per game. All that at about 69% disposal efficiency

Also averaging a lousy 34 disposals, 12 contested possessions, and 2 goals a game the past month.

I know everyone loves using the old chestnut in "Rocky has no impact" but it's total crap. Watch the blokes decision making, quick hands and Inside 50 passes. Getting on the scoreboard a hell of a lot more consistently now too.

He's not going anywhere.

Take out his injury affected games and he averages a handy 32.6 disposals, 12.6 contested possessions, 6.2 clearances, 7.5 tackles, 4 Inside 50's and 1 Goal per game. All that at about 69% disposal efficiency

Also averaging a lousy 34 disposals, 12 contested possessions, and 2 goals a game the past month.

I know everyone loves using the old chestnut in "Rocky has no impact" but it's total crap. Watch the blokes decision making, quick hands and Inside 50 passes. Getting on the scoreboard a hell of a lot more consistently now too.

He's not going anywhere.
You forgot the most important attribute - he's a complete and utter w***er

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not going anywhere.
Sure he does have impact, except 35 disposals from him is probably worth like 20 from Danger/Fyfe/Pendlebury. Kick has little penetration, gets a billion uncontested touches in the form of handball receives from his teammates (38% contested possession rate). The 38% contested possession rate is borderline OK except he does nothing with it. Treloar might have just as many handball receives but at least he can run and carry the ball. Decision making mediocre, delivery inside 50 average and quick hands is pretty much a given for any inside midfielder nowadays.

Still an A grader, but is by no means elite (top 10). Adding on top, he doesn't seem to have the right set of leadership traits, he is not durable at all (18,16,17 games in last 3 years) nor is he young (27 next season). Worth a single pick in the 6-10 range.

Sure he does have impact, except 35 disposals from him is probably worth like 20 from Danger/Fyfe/Pendlebury. Kick has little penetration, gets a billion uncontested touches in the form of handball receives from his teammates (38% contested possession rate). The 38% contested possession rate is borderline OK except he does nothing with it. Treloar might have just as many handball receives but at least he can run and carry the ball. Decision making mediocre, delivery inside 50 average and quick hands is pretty much a given for any inside midfielder nowadays.

Still an A grader, but is by no means elite (top 10). Adding on top, he doesn't seem to have the right set of leadership traits, he is not durable at all (18,16,17 games in last 3 years) nor is he young (27 next season). Worth a single pick in the 6-10 range.
You just described Pendlebury so i don't think he should be used as an example. Rockliff's delivery inside 50 is Elite and possibly one of the best parts of his game yet having to play so much inside he doesn't use this skill as much as would be liked.

You just described Pendlebury so i don't think he should be used as an example. Rockliff's delivery inside 50 is Elite and possibly one of the best parts of his game yet having to play so much inside he doesn't use this skill as much as would be liked.
You were going ok until you questioned Pendlebury's effectiveness. You lost all credibility at this point. He's one of the most creative, visionary players in the game by hand and foot.
You should try and avoid the 'he said something negative about my club so I am going to say something negative about his' lines of discussion. They don't reflect well on you.

If Fyfe is any more damaging with the ball in hand than Rockliff I'll give it up. Fyfe gets overrated a fair bit around here for mine. No doubt Danger and Pendlebury are both more damaging with the ball in hand.

Decision making is far from mediocre and his passing inside 50 is far above average. He's seriously good in those areas. One of the better ones we've had at the club and I've been there when Fitzroy was still up and about.

He's borderline elite imo. The durability thing is somewhat of a myth. Over those last 3 years he's had two cases of broken ribs. It's not as if his body has been consistently letting him down. Broken ribs can happen to anyone.

It's hard to tell about the leadership. There's rumours that he's leadership style is poor and that there had been a 3 way divide between the players, Rockliff and Leppa. But do you really think we would have had over 20 re-signings this year alone of that was seriously true? The Lamberts are good, but if your captain and your coach are seriously bad and there is a divide, there's no way you would re-sign on a 2 or 3 year deal.

The blokes made a very good career for himself despite his athletic limitations.

I'd agree with trade value. But that wasn't exactly the point of my post.

You were going ok until you questioned Pendlebury's effectiveness. You lost all credibility at this point. He's one of the most creative, visionary players in the game by hand and foot.
You should try and avoid the 'he said something negative about my club so I am going to say something negative about his' lines of discussion. They don't reflect well on you.
I don't think he questioned Pendlebury's effectiveness. However, my point still stands, he has nothing on similar players such as Dangerfield, Treloar, Josh Kennedy, Fyfe, Neale.

If Fyfe is any more damaging with the ball in hand than Rockliff I'll give it up. Fyfe gets overrated a fair bit around here for mine. No doubt Danger and Pendlebury are both more damaging with the ball in hand.

Decision making is far from mediocre and his passing inside 50 is far above average. He's seriously good in those areas. One of the better ones we've had at the club and I've been there when Fitzroy was still up and about.

He's borderline elite imo. The durability thing is somewhat of a myth. Over those last 3 years he's had two cases of broken ribs. It's not as if his body has been consistently letting him down. Broken ribs can happen to anyone.

It's hard to tell about the leadership. There's rumours that he's leadership style is poor and that there had been a 3 way divide between the players, Rockliff and Leppa. But do you really think we would have had over 20 re-signings this year alone of that was seriously true? The Lamberts are good, but if your captain and your coach are seriously bad and there is a divide, there's no way you would re-sign on a 2 or 3 year deal.

The blokes made a very good career for himself despite his athletic limitations.

I'd agree with trade value. But that wasn't exactly the point of my post.
Fyfe's disposal effiiency shouldn't be evaluated in the same manner as other players. As someone mentioned above, the nature of an inside midfield role leaves little room for players to be creative/damaging with the ball in hand. However, the difference between Fyfe and Rockliff at stoppages is that Fyfe is able to evade opponents and get a clean 50-55 metre kick out of congestion whereas the lack of agility of Rockliff leaves him no option but to resort to handballing to a teammate.

Another aspect of being damaging with the ball is the ability to break lines and carry the ball forward. Fyfe can, Rockliff struggles significantly.

Being damaging "with ball in hand" has many dimensions to it, being able to hit a target is a major part of it but does not define this concept. For inside midfielders, "Metres gained" in particular in a stat that's a much better indication than "disposal efficiency" which is heavily affected by the ability of teammates contesting for the ball.

If the Lions take the captaincy off Rocky which is "open to discussion", wouldn't it be better to just trade him now back to Vic this year while there are so many Melbourne based clubs looking for quality mids? Create a bidding war and get maximum compo?

HNOw old is he ? Wont he be a FA when out of contract next ?

HNOw old is he ? Wont he be a FA when out of contract next ?

Out of contract new year, and will have Restricted Free Agency status. In our position, if he indicated that he wants out probably better off looking at moving him, while we have some leverage and not prolonging it any longer, especially with the uncertainty of the FA compensation

Fyfe's disposal effiiency shouldn't be evaluated in the same manner as other players. As someone mentioned above, the nature of an inside midfield role leaves little room for players to be creative/damaging with the ball in hand. However, the difference between Fyfe and Rockliff at stoppages is that Fyfe is able to evade opponents and get a clean 50-55 metre kick out of congestion whereas the lack of agility of Rockliff leaves him no option but to resort to handballing to a teammate.

Another aspect of being damaging with the ball is the ability to break lines and carry the ball forward. Fyfe can, Rockliff struggles significantly.

Being damaging "with ball in hand" has many dimensions to it, being able to hit a target is a major part of it but does not define this concept. For inside midfielders, "Metres gained" in particular in a stat that's a much better indication than "disposal efficiency" which is heavily affected by the ability of teammates contesting for the ball.

Fyfe's certainly a better player than Rockliff and plays more of an inside role. Fyfe's ability to break free and dispose of it by foot in undeniably better than Rocky's. Rockliff's shown some improvement in those areas this year and has continually built as the season has one on. He's been able to take the ball for a run and have a couple of bounces along the way lately. Something he has never done before. His game against Carlton was brilliant in a number of ways.

Rockliff's never going to be breaking lines with his kicking or running through them, but he's certainly damaging in his own right. Decision making and Quick Hands and his Inside 50 passing are all elite. Like Pendles he can seem to make time when there is none under pressure, if that makes any sense. Rarely do you see either of those blokes get caught with the ball in hand.

I'm not at all saying he is a better player than Danger, Pendles, Fyfe etc etc. Just debating the whole " Rocky isn't damaging" myth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back