Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's his actual quote:

"The most important factor for me is going to be my family, and what’s most important for me, (partner) Sharna and the young fella when he comes out."

Pretty clear who he's talking about when he mentions his family, and it's not mum, dad, and Uncle Bob.
I choose to believe it's about uncle bob. Why you ask? Becoz i like Rocky

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Heh. I see the article now.

"Port Adelaide has emerged as a frontrunner" (not "the", as per OP).

"Port Adelaide is one of several clubs that have been in regular contact with Rockliff’s management this year, but only recently has its list management team begun to seriously consider making a big play for him."

So they're considering making a big play.

"prompting Rockliff [...] to emerge as a potential target for them."

For a potential target.

"The question Port Adelaide is currently contemplating is whether he is worth the asking price."

And they're currently contemplating doing something, not actually doing anything...

"Increasingly, the club is leaning towards yes without a firm commitment either way.

...while leaning towards an answer, but wait - without a firm commitment.

So Port is a front runner that's done absolutely nothing and not even decided anything. Cool reporting. :D
Hahah jeez you're a textbook moderator. Just not a good person.

Does anybody know what the guidelines are for band 1 compensation? I assume-

Dollars-
Length of contract-
Certain percentage of top earners in the game-
All Australians and B&F finishes-
AFL can make an ad hoc decision if they deem it warranted?

Any other criteria?

Dollars-
Length of contract-

Any other criteria?
  1. Age.
  2. Contract terms (per annum and/or total)
That's then fed into a formula that determines where the player is in terms of all player contracts for players over 25.
  • Top 5% is Band 1.
  • Top ?% (probably 15%) is Band 2.
  • Top ?% (probably 25%) is Band 3.
  • etc
"The committee can recommend alternative outcomes to the AFL's football operations manager Mark Evans if the formula produces a materially anomalous result." - but IMO that's only ever going to be used if someone finds a way to rort the system by constructing contracts in a particular fashion.

Rocky will get band 1, in sure hawks would offer the max contract they draw up 800k.

Any other club looking at him would have to offer that as well i would think.

I can see the draw card for Rocky to come to vic. Ofcouse that depends on where him and his GF see their future.

Hawks would offer the life after footy, put him in a position to start setting up his post playing career as soon as possible. as they have with all retireing guns since clarko got to the club.

Although Brisbane could offer the same thing Fagan is a fantastic people manager. Great bloke.

Tom is unrestricted, what will Crows or Power have to give up to get him?

It says Power look like favourites over Crows
Tom isn't unrestricted. His status is even in the thread title.

Dollars-
Length of contract-

Any other criteria?

Rocky will command a band 1 compo if he goes....Without question.

It says Power look like favorites over Crows

Why on earth would he want to go to Adelaide?.....Is Tom religious?

Rocky will command a band 1 compo if he goes....Without question.

Why on earth would he want to go to Adelaide?.....Is Tom religious?
I would not hold it against him if he left for a perceived better chance of success and more dollars, he has done some bloody hard unrewarded long years with us.

He is not religious, no cross pollination of threads/boards please P35;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see why Port might go into top-up mode this off-season. I don't think their list has the scope to go all the way and win a premiership and they also don't have a first round pick this year so they'd be right to dip into the free market. They've been linked to Rockliff, Menzel and Motlop who any or all could definitely improve the side.

Would take him at the Suns as a pseudo Gary replacement, though I highly doubt he would come to us.

You're probably as good a chance as any given his family stipulations....All about the $ really, & if Gaz goes, then you should have plenty to burn.

Though, you'd reckon that Martin should be your number 1 target....Be handy if you could get em both.

It says Power look like favourites over Crows

Not sure. I'd guess that a reasonably close starting point would be $700k by 4 years. I'd assume that Lions wouldn't match if they got band 1. Had we finished bottom 2 or 3 when Danger left and were staring at pick 2-4, then we wouldn't have matched either. But if they got band 2, then I'm sure they'd match and I'd guess it would be very hard for both of us to fully satisfy the Lions. But we'd certainly be looking at a first and a second, similar to Danger and probably a smidgin more given we look like being a few spots behind where they were in the draft order that year. If the rumours surrounding Cameron are true, then he might end up being part of it, which would make it hard to judge. There's still an element of potential tied into his value, so when discussing what he's worth in picks, there tends to be a fair spread of opinion.

You're probably as good a chance as any given his family stipulations....All about the $ really, & if Gaz goes, then you should have plenty to burn.

Though, you'd reckon that Martin should be your number 1 target....Be handy if you could get em both.
Unfortunately I think it is only one or the other for us, wish we could afford both.

Having his best mate Hanley at the Suns could also be handy, also keeps him in QLD if he wants to be around friends etc.

The thing working against us, is that he has toiled with that Lions team for years, and he probably wants some finals footy which I can understand, meaning we are probably ruled out on account of that.

Rocky will get band 1, in sure hawks would offer the max contract they draw up 800k.

Any other club looking at him would have to offer that as well i would think.

I can see the draw card for Rocky to come to vic. Ofcouse that depends on where him and his GF see their future.

Hawks would offer the life after footy, put him in a position to start setting up his post playing career as soon as possible. as they have with all retireing guns since clarko got to the club.

Although Brisbane could offer the same thing Fagan is a fantastic people manager. Great bloke.

It is between you guys and the Lions I reckon.

Early season I had him going to the Hawks but reckon the needle is turning. (Fagan putting in work)

It is between you guys and the Lions I reckon.

Early season I had him going to the Hawks but reckon the needle is turning. (Fagan putting in work)

Not sure if Rocky is being a fan of being a tagger and not being on the ball as much under Fagan... Then again it could be injury related and Fagan has said to him he prefers him to be on the ball next year?

I can see why Port might go into top-up mode this off-season. I don't think their list has the scope to go all the way and win a premiership and they also don't have a first round pick this year so they'd be right to dip into the free market. They've been linked to Rockliff, Menzel and Motlop who any or all could definitely improve the side.

Im pretty happy we are inquiring about these F/A especially rockliff. I rate our list a 5th -8th list but with Ryder/Gray/Boak/Ebert in there primes we have to look at any Free agents, like yo mentioned we have no 1st round pick. Also on Tripple M, treadrea mentioned we were one of the few clubs without % increases in there contracts that went with the new agreement. Not sure how true this is but if thats the case we have some money to at least look at any potential free agents.

Know a couple of inner sanctum types at Brisbane and they think he'll stay. Culture went from s**t and segregated under leppa to one big group under fagan. A few even had a look at the difference and said the group is polar opposite to what it is now. Rockcliff is a leader and a role model down at the club and that extra responsibility will be the difference. Big offer needed to change his mind in my opinion.

Im pretty happy we are inquiring about these F/A especially rockliff. I rate our list a 5th -8th list but with Ryder/Gray/Boak/Ebert in there primes we have to look at any Free agents, like yo mentioned we have no 1st round pick. Also on Tripple M, treadrea mentioned we were one of the few clubs without % increases in there contracts that went with the new agreement. Not sure how true this is but if thats the case we have some money to at least look at any potential free agents.
Where do you think Port are stagnating on the field in terms of ability? Is it depth perhaps? They seem to have very good starting points in all positions but it isn't translating into consistent footy for some reason. Does Gray need to play permanent midfield, or could someone like Rocky come in and be able to keep Gray up forward where he can be a game changer? Port have a real interesting list but it definitely needs a push.

The problems certainly don't lie in the back line, conceding the fewest points in 2017. You're also the third best scoring team in the comp (although aided by bashing up non-finals teams) Is it the midfield that lets the guard down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back