Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno, if I was Rocky i wouldn't leave Lions. Starting to get some extremely solid fundamentals right and I reckon they'll be up there in 3 years or so time.
Fits a need for Port perfectly, but I think Carlton/other clubs can offer more $$$ so see a move to us unlikely.

So, Carlton must think they're a finals chance for the next 2-3 years and Rocking is acting like he believes this all the while thinking
" Show me the MONEY! "

Because if we moved Gibbs on for draft assets in Rockliff we've instantly replaced Gibbs in the midfield without giving up draft assets.

Something tells me what Adelaide will offer and what Carlton will demand will never meet up.

But what does Rockliff offer if you are a few years away from going deep in to finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something tells me what Adelaide will offer and what Carlton will demand will never meet up.

But what does Rockliff offer if you are a few years away from going deep in to finals?

Experience. We struggled when Cripps and Curnow went out of our already paper thin midfield.

We need to start winning sooner rather than later or players may start looking elsewhere for success. Rockliff just needs to help us stay competitive.

A decent player?

If we get 3 good years of football out of him then we'll have improved and moved up the ladder.

Experience. We struggled when Cripps and Curnow went out of our already paper thin midfield.

We need to start winning sooner rather than later or players may start looking elsewhere for success. Rockliff just needs to help us stay competitive.

I dont think you bring in an old guy with bad shoulders if you want consistency. You'd be better off using draft picks to go for younger players. Luke Parker would be a great choice. Home and Away he is huge, and his rubbish Finals performances wont matter much. At least for a few years.

I dont think you bring in an old guy with bad shoulders if you want consistency. You'd be better off using draft picks to go for younger players. Luke Parker would be a great choice. Home and Away he is huge, and his rubbish Finals performances wont matter much. At least for a few years.

Rockliff is free aside from his salary. We have shedloads to spend as evidenced by the salary dumps we have taken from GWS. We need to strengthen our midfield immediately to assist the development of our defence and forward line.

Carlton wont get a like for like replacement with Rockliff for Gibbs. Rockliff is an inside player and a decent small forward whereas Gibbs is a capable insider and outsider and more damaging off the boot.

Agreed. I think we need genuine inside support for Cripps and Rockliff is like Dangerfield lite as far as being able to impact up forward regularly. Gibbs is by far the more rounded player but Rocky probably applies himself more consistently.

Pretty confident he is using this as a negotiation tactic and he’ going to stay at Brisbane.

It just doesn’t make sense to leave all things considered. Only ways I see him going is a huge offer and/or he has the shits about being offered up last year or having the captaincy taken. Which is not out of realm of possibility but I don’t think is the case.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rockcliff's experiance and mature body will be a booster for the midfiled.
Gibbs has beautiful ball distribution and good footy IQ, ideally he's better positioned closer to the goals where he'll help impact the scoreboard.​

Pretty confident he is using this as a negotiation tactic and he’ going to stay at Brisbane.

It just doesn’t make sense to leave given his situation, our team finally has a decent upside and he really isn’t the type to move to get involved in the media (IMO). Only way he’ll go is if he gets an offer well above what we give him which is possible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would be silly of Brisbane to let him go. You have plenty of good young talent and more picks this year, but if you lose Rocky and then Beams gets injured (and he is not the most durable player) things could go backwards from a development and retention perspective. Cash shouldn't be an issue as you have to pay the minimum.

Tom Petroro on SEN mentioned that he caught up with Brisbane's list manager not long ago, learning that Rockliff still remains uncertain about his future.

Apparently he hasn't met with any suitors. A lot of mixed messages happening here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back