Rumour Tom Scully retiring due to personal issue

Remove this Banner Ad

FootyGod88

Draftee
Dec 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thoughts on the Tom Scully story? Why is he walking away?

More than likely milked the system for all it's worth, and not that keen on playing for base salary at the Hawks.
I tend to agree with that .. I also think he doesn't offer much as a player anymore and had probably been told he will have limited opportunity this year as the hawks look to inject some youth

I tend to agree with that .. I also think he doesn't offer much as a player anymore and had probably been told he will have limited opportunity this year as the hawks look to inject some youth
Yeah hopefully it's not too bad, and not health related.

If he needs a bit of a pick-me-up, I'm sure he can just log into his combank app and see a whole heap of numbers there that far outweigh his output onfield. Should bring a smile back.

Hawthorn star Tom Scully

Surely a combination of personal issues and poor AFL form.

I don’t think Clarko would necessarily want to leave Scully out of the team, but surely you’d rather some 2nd year rookie racking up 12 touches on a wing than a declining, injury-prone, 29 year old?

Yeah hopefully it's not too bad, and not health related.

If he needs a bit of a pick-me-up, I'm sure he can just log into his combank app and see a whole heap of numbers there that far outweigh his output onfield. Should bring a smile back.
Good thing Melbourne has never recruited anyone by offering a higher salary.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

More than likely milked the system for all it's worth, and not that keen on playing for base salary at the Hawks.

And told his starting position is Box Hill and only playing top up for Hawks.

We have Day Impey Phillips and Shiels who can play Wing. Plus Moore had a great couple of games end of last year as an attacking wing.

Even Morrison pribably gets the nod as a HFF / Wing ahead of him.

So he moves a long way down the pecking order.

Patton is the one who will have really let the Hawks down. He was meant to be the big body to let Lewis develop, especially with Gunston out for 8 weeks. Now its OBrien and Lewis and maybe Nash. Not sure how many goals they kick.

We have Day Impey Phillips and Shiels who can play Wing. Plus Moore had a great couple of games end of last year as an attacking wing.

Patton is the one who will have really let the Hawks down. He was meant to be the big body to let Lewis develop, especially with Gunston out for 8 weeks. Now its OBrien and Lewis and maybe Nash. Not sure how many goals they kick.
I’m not sure why or how the hawks pinned their hope on Patton. I reckon it was arrogance thinking they could turn him around.

Patton has the turning circle of the titanic. Having said that, there are probably only a handful of quality developed big key forwards in the league, with the younger ones coming through to steal the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure why or how the hawks pinned their hope on Patton. I reckon it was arrogance thinking they could turn him around.

Patton has the turning circle of the titanic. Having said that, there are probably only a handful of quality developed big key forwards in the league, with the younger ones coming through to steal the show.

When has anyone said we pinned our hopes on Patton?

Mitch Lewis was the one identified with talent. Patton was to help him grow.

I dont think Ive seen anyone on our board expecting more than 20 or 25 goals a season from Patton, with 30 goals being a real success.

How many KPFs have had a big year at 30 goals?

We paid 4th rounders for Patton and Scully as older players. I dont think we were expecting to suddenly win.

Scrimshaw and Frost would have had bigger expectations. Frost has done well. Scrimshaw ended up being a steal.

Actually this is almost less likely than the drug rumour. We are absolutely smashed in the wing department, especially with Smith and Hendo gone. Day and Impey are no chance on the wing, much needed across half back. Phillips is the only winger we have in the team.

I’m not mourning his departure but hawks will seriously struggle across wing this year.

Why would marriage problems mean you need to retire from your career permanently?
If your marriage is breaking down because your wife is in Sydney tending to a seriously ill parent and you’re in the twilight of your career in another city, surely you’d consider just hanging them up and getting your life back on track?

If your marriage is breaking down because your wife is in Sydney tending to a seriously ill parent and you’re in the twilight of your career in another city, surely you’d consider just hanging them up and getting your life back on track?
There’s a whole lot of detail there not previously provided. So he’s considering retiring to move back to Sydney and save his marriage? Seems a sound reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back