Oct 13, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City
#straightsets
2247a484128d8084b2d06c315e2310a0.jpg
The only thing Essendon have won in 15 odd years. #nosets

One tweet doesn't mean it's gospel, surely your not that gullible?

s**t I might start believing chickens tweets #toottoot
But a two page spread in the Essendon Gazette does? This on a player that isnt even an Essendon player yet. It does not matter what will is wenesday night and then the 2019 season

cdcanman

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Entirely possible that his ankle or complications related to it are worse than has been reported, no question.
But I haven't read one article that has mentioned any lisfranc injury. It is a different part of the body after all.
It is possible that he could have damaged his foot when it was caught under him, but for it not to have even been mentioned before now seems a bit odd. Scully even penned a piece for the players tribune, or whatever the hell it is called. No mention of it in his own article. Talked about his injury, his surgery, his recovery his rehab, all in detail. But no mention of any lisfranc joint injury at all. Seems odd

Very difficult to grasp this one. This isn't GWS's first rodeo, there must be some complication in terms of Scully's prospects on the back of the injury from their perspective if this pick 53 scenario is genuine.
Near full fitness he is worth considerably more and wouldn't be on astronomical dollars at this stage, would have gotten more frontloaded at the time.
Hawks always make trade period interesting, never die wondering.

Jun 22, 2015
Where the magic happens
AFL Club
Essendon
STAR midfielder Dylan Shiel’s decision to nominate Essendon as his club of choice prompted Giants teammate Tom Scully to swap his own preference from the Bombers to Hawthorn
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...ff525a6486c40d01901?__twitter_impression=true

Sounds like Scully wanted the mighty flying donners but when after Sheil wanted us we couldn't get the deal done.

apologies didn't see that it was posted already

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
This potential deal is out of the blue and doesn't look right on paper, but people like Kane Cornes need to STFU.

Hawthorn can easily offer more in a trade, and from what I can see GWS aren't crying foul. Scully is a contracted player and they can let him go for pick 97 or demand a first round pick if that suits them.

It's part salary dump, part gamble on his ankle coming good. If all parties (i.e. both club and player) are happy with the deal it seems a strange thing for people not involved to get upset about. It's the sort of move you'd see in the NBA, people just aren't used to it here.

Yeah good get, lucky you won't have to give up all 1st round picks and young guns you never had for Shiel

If it’s a choice between Wingard or Shiel who are both 25 and were taken in the same draft back in 2011, I’m pretty sure Clarkson and most of the Hawthorn supporters out there would pick Wingard instead.

That’s not a knock on Shiel who’s a terrific player but Wingard is a better fit for the Hawks.

Shiel on the other hand is icing on the cake for Essendon who need one more A-grade inside midfielder to complement the likes of Merrett, Heppell, McGrath etc.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Believe what u want to believe champ we had o tyher targets that we were unwilling to sacrifice once the trade pric ed became too high

Oh dear.
So you took the focus off a superstar to get in a guy with a hole in his calf who may never play again?
Oh and a guy that spends more time doing his hair than training.

Seems legit.
Seems more like you low-balled him.

Last edited:
Scully is a risk no doubt about that, it was a terrible injury.
But Hawks have rolled the dice on O’Meara and even Burgoyne way back so no doubt back themselves in. It’s a fair trade under the circumstances,Giants know it, Hawks know it, Scully knows it.

Oh dear.
So you took the focus off a superstar to get in a guy with a hole in his calf who may never play again?
Oh and a guy that spends more time doing his hair than training.

Seems legit.
Seems more like you low-balled him.
This seems familiar lets see how history plays out shall we.
I am sure we will be back here on trade day next year complaining about how unfair it is that Hawthorn get all these great players

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
This seems familiar lets see how history plays out shall we.
I am sure we will be back here on trade day next year complaining about how unfair it is that Hawthorn get all these great players

If you think Scully and Wingard are great players you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Handy, yes, but neither are anywhere near A-grade despite the price tag.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ahh yes we haven't stood around feeling sorry for ourselves though time passes you by if you do.

I must admit it was humorous watching a number of hawks fans backtrack from being 'certain grand finalists' to out in straight sets.

Burton out Wingard in to me is a loss for Hawthorn. Both financially, talent wise and for the future.

Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
If it’s a choice between Wingard or Shiel who are both 25 and were taken in the same draft back in 2011, I’m pretty sure Clarkson and most of the Hawthorn supporters out there would pick Wingard instead.

That’s not a knock on Shiel who’s a terrific player but Wingard is a better fit for the Hawks.

Shiel on the other hand is icing on the cake for Essendon who need one more A-grade inside midfielder to complement the likes of Merrett, Heppell, McGrath etc.
I don’t think Clarko would agree with you. Let’s face it, after Tom and Jam the midfield stocks at Glenferrie definitely thin out. Shiel would have been a huge and necessary addition to the midfield ranks at Hawthorn.
Shiel going to Essendon adds another dollop to the cream already there, like, as you have mentioned, Zak, Hep, McG and Smithy, McKenna, Parish, Langers..
As it stands, the Hawks will likely have to settle for....Scully. Oh dear.

Back