Traded Tom Scully [traded to Hawthorn for a future fourth round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? He's only cost them a list spot and some salary. I would have thought the reported length of contract was a good indication of Hawthorn's concerns with his ankle.
Well they've supposedly taken on his full GWS contract. Thats a lot of years at a lot of $$$ for a player potentially not playing again. Again, I applaud Hawthorrn doing the deal, I think it is worth the risk, but there is some serious downside.
FWIW I heard on trade radio that IF Scully has a career ending injury ( i.e. ankle ) then the package offered to Scully won't be included in the Hawks TPP. This really mitigates the risk to the Hawks....

Unlike Buddy or Lynch - if they retire, then their salaries though unpaid, are still counted in their respective teams TPP.

Just saying what I heard..:)
I didn't know that. If true, it really diminishes my argument .....:think:

I'd read on the North board there was a rumour the Hartung issue at North was partly an issue with an altercation his father had with a club official. There were rumours at Hawthorn his dad liked interfering with his career and a big reason he didn't get renewed at Hawthorn was because we put a contract on the table at the start of the year that his father wouldn't let him sign because he thought it was unders. We refused to up it, and he ended up having to walk to the draft because nobody else would take him during 2017 trade week, and that is how he ended up at North.

I thought you got a bargain, but I was one of the few Hawk fans that were sorry to see him go. He'd improved every year on our list, and thought at his age, he still had more improvement in him. You'd have to think there is something else going on in the background for an improving, relatively young player (thought he had improved again this year for you guys) to be let lose two years in a row. Didn't hear negative things about his application at Hawthorn, more a general attitude issue ("what about me, I want my share" stuff). Could well have had his nose permanently out of join after he played a big sequence of games up until as late as the prelim in one of our flag years before being dropped (for Suckling from memory, but not 100% sure).

While I was a Hartung supporter, and didn't like his delisting (at Hawthorn or North), there is a world of difference between him and Scully. Scully much better decision maker, kick , and contested player than Hartung was ever likely to be. Of course Hartung doesn't have a very bad ankle injury hanging over his career, but that (and his age) are his only upside over Scully IMO. Hartung may actually have no more career which is something else in Scully's favour.
I agree he was always improving. I liked him at North and didn't like the delisting. But IF he didn't apply himself to his rehab he only has himself to blame. If you get a second chance it's head down bum up! I'd like North to rookie him. I think he'd do will at Carlton.

FWIW I heard on trade radio that IF Scully has a career ending injury ( i.e. ankle ) then the package offered to Scully won't be included in the Hawks TPP. This really mitigates the risk to the Hawks....

Unlike Buddy or Lynch - if they retire, then their salaries though unpaid, are still counted in their respective teams TPP.

Just saying what I heard..:)

I suppose he won’t know that’s it’s career ending until he is close to the end of his contract though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A risk worth taking IMO.

The existing club always has the advantage in these situations so I’m sure GWS wouldn’t have accepted such a low pick if they were confident he could make a full recovery.

No tomorrow we'll be announcing Brad Green is still not a premiership player.

So he has joined twitter to become well a twat Bradley.

But he has joined other twats (Del Santo, Luke Darcy etc) at twitter who made themselves the biggest twats of twitter. (Which is equal to a premiership allegedly on twitter.)

So he'll have some sort of an alleged reunion each year... with Twats.

Hint Brad that's why Clarko took Cameron Bruce not you.

Pretty simple: GWS- we don’t think you’re going to be much use to us with that ankle of yours. Scully - I’ll come good though, you just wait and see. GWS - yeh, ahem, about that wait and see part ... Scully - yes... GWS- well we don’t have 500k just hanging around right now to wait and see how your gonna go once that ankle is healed up. Scully - oh , but I’m contracted for another 2 years.. GWS - oh right, so you are! How would you feel about going back to Melbourne, we’d get you to the club you wanted if they agreed even if the return isn’t great. We want to do the right thing by you too. Scully - ok well, the Hawks have the best medical/rehab in the league and I’d love to play under Clarkson. GWS - ok, done. Thanks for understanding Tom, we’ll get in touch with Wrighty this week.

Ps - this conversation happened at least 3 months ago. Fact.

Yet Hawthorn put him through a medical and gave him a 4yr 2mil contract for shits and gigs I guess
Actually NO! We traded 4 him based on that deal.

We've taken a risk we believe will pay off but we never signed him to that deal originally.

It's why he came cheap. It's a risk, a risk worth taking when he cost you nothing because another team took a risk overpaying players they can't take that risk anymore.

We can thank the genius's at the AFL for allowing this farce to occur. The structures the AFL put in place in the last CBA/trade rules have totally ****ed this NATIONAL competition in terms of equality. Hawthorn have simply worked a structural advantage created by the AFL to their benefit (and so they should).

Contracted players choosing their destination should not be allowed. They should be sold to the highest bidder. Instead we have clubs in Victoria
cherry picking contracted players and not having to stump up fair value for a trade, because the player and the purchasing club can collude to artificially limit demand for their services to one club.

Scully for a 4th rounder is no where near to fair value and this would not have occurred, should other clubs have the opportunity to trade for his contract.

The AFL's short sightedness and incompetence is clear for all to see...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back