DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
It was a good trade for the Hawks. If he cant get fit it didnt cost much. Saved GWS a lot of salary space too for someone they thought might not get the best out of him again.
And gave them the flexibility to trade Shiel on their terms and receive two firsts.

Was a win win for GWS to essentially get two firsts for Shiel and Scully and clear over 1m in cap room to manage the next batch of out of contract players.

Hawks got a good deal and the Dons came in and paid for it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Another image of Scully has been posted by the Hawk's social media team. Shows him comfortably putting weight on his ankle but frankly I think it's just as staged as the photo of him "running" they recently put out. Pretty desperate stuff.

1546419257400.png

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Another image of Scully has been posted by the Hawk's social media team. Shows him comfortably putting weight on his ankle but frankly I think it's just as staged as the photo of him "running" they recently put out. Pretty desperate stuff.

View attachment 600710
A lot of work put into that.

1546420291743.gif

Last edited:

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It was a good trade for the Hawks. If he cant get fit it didnt cost much. Saved GWS a lot of salary space too for someone they thought might not get the best out of him again.
That’s the cost to the Hawks.
Gives them less to go after a Coniglio/Kelly this year and at the same time, the same amount to GWS to try to keep them. Hawks obviously thought the Chad/Scully combo was better than going after either of these players.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Gives them less to go after a Coniglio/Kelly this year and at the same time, the same amount to GWS to try to keep them. Hawks obviously thought the Chad/Scully combo was better than going after either of these players.
That could be the case. Maybe we don’t want to be involved in a bidding war. Or maybe we think we have the war chest still to go after Coniglio.

From what I understand we got Wingard on a 4 year 2.5m deal (625k a year). We also only went at 95% of the cap last year. Burton was already going to be on 500k this year anyway. Scully on another 500k won't break the bank considering guys like Roughy, Birchall, Poppy, Burgoyne may all hang up the boots this year. Reckon we got a lot more flexibility in our salary cap than GWS sorry.

Our main challenge is that as far as list balance goes we don't overpay for players. Anything more than 1m a year for Cogs might put some noses at joint at those who have taken unders previously.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
From what I understand we got Wingard on a 4 year 2.5m deal (625k a year). We also only went at 95% of the cap last year. Burton was already going to be on 500k this year anyway. Scully on another 500k won't break the bank considering guys like Roughy, Birchall, Poppy, Burgoyne may all hang up the boots this year. Reckon we got a lot more flexibility in our salary cap than GWS sorry.

Our main challenge is that as far as list balance goes we don't overpay for players. Anything more than 1m a year for Cogs might put some noses at joint at those who have taken unders previously.
What's the Wingard source? It would surprise me if someone that cost a fair bit to trade for was only valued at 625k a year. I would have thought he'd ask for more.

Burgoyne, Roughead and Birchall all likely retirements at the end of 2019.....there's anywhere between an extra $800-1.2mill about to be freed up on top of what we already had.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Burgoyne, Roughead and Birchall all likely retirements at the end of 2019.....there's anywhere between an extra $800-1.2mill about to be freed up on top of what we already had.
That would be accounted for in their long term planning.

On top of that though, they would have had an extra $500k per annum on top of that if you didn’t get Scully.

Back