Traded Tom Scully [traded to Hawthorn for a future fourth round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the cost to the Hawks.
Gives them less to go after a Coniglio/Kelly this year and at the same time, the same amount to GWS to try to keep them. Hawks obviously thought the Chad/Scully combo was better than going after either of these players.
Hawthorn have plenty of cap space left with Burton, Rioli, Duryea and Langford off the books we freed more space than it cost us bringing in Scully and Wingard.

Lol at Hawthorn thinking they’ve risked nothing in a player they’re paying half a mil a year for.

Also as raised above they’ve made it easier for GWS to retain Kelly and Cogs.

Played like a fiddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be accounted for in their long term planning.

On top of that though, they would have had an extra $500k per annum on top of that if you didn’t get Scully.
Yes it was and we lined up to get Lynch with that in mind then Cyril pulled the pin which is a nice 700k we didn't expect to lose, I also doubt we planned for Birchall to retire so young either.

Lol at Hawthorne thinking they’ve risked nothing in a player they’re paying half a mil a year for.

Also as raised above they’ve made it easier for GWS to retain Kelly and Cogs.

Played like a fiddle.

Coniglio (or Kelly) potentially leaving has nothing to do with us trading for Scully. If Coniglio wants to leave then he will, money won't be a problem, it's a question of whether he wants to leave.

Coniglio (or Kelly) potentially leaving has nothing to do with us trading for Scully. If Coniglio wants to leave then he will, money won't be a problem, it's a question of whether he wants to leave.
Know that for a fact do you? I'm sure if he was in two minds having an extra half a mil available could be handy for GWS.

Know that for a fact do you? I'm sure if he was in two minds having an extra half a mil available could be handy for GWS.

And you know Hawthorn's cap situation for a fact? You know whose contracts may get redone? Or whose are up for renewal, or who will retire? Or what Coniglio himself wants to do?

Yeah if it was a line ball call for him an extra half a million would help, obviously. But if you think that it will come down to that scenario then you're having a laugh.

Last edited:
Any you know Hawthorn's cap situation for a fact? You know whose contracts may get redone? Or whose are up for renewal, or who will retire? Or what Coniglio himself wants to do?

Yeah if it was a line ball call for him an extra half a million would help, obviously. But if you think that it will come down to that scenario then you're having a laugh.
Regardless of Hawthorn's cap situation, they took half a mil of salary from GWS putting GWS one million ahead of where they would have been otherwise if it does come down to a competition between the two clubs to sign Cogs. That is a big gamble to make on a player with such a sever injury.

Yes it was and we lined up to get Lynch with that in mind then Cyril pulled the pin which is a nice 700k we didn't expect to lose, I also doubt we planned for Birchall to retire so young either.
Yep, that’s true. Lynch pulling out gave access to roughly the amount of cash that Wingard and Scully are getting.

If you could jag Wingard and a Coniglio/Kelly as well as carrying Scully on your books, your salary cap is in great shape.

Regardless of Hawthorn's cap situation, they took half a mil of salary from GWS putting GWS one million ahead of where they would have been otherwise if it does come down to a competition between the two clubs to sign Cogs. That is a big gamble to make on a player with such a sever injury.

Hmmm, I wonder who we should trust - maxbillions from the interweb, or a list manager that's helped the club deliver multiple premierships? It's a tough call.

Hmmm, I wonder who we should trust - maxbillions from the interweb, or a list manager that's helped the club deliver multiple premierships? It's a tough call.
Hey play the ball not the man.

Hawthorn supporters seem very confident that they are very much on Cogs’ radar, so there must be a very real chance it will come down to Hawks vs Giants for his signature.

Hawks have put themselves $1 million behind the pace if this does happen.

Not saying Scully has no chance of getting back to his best, but it’s laughable to suggest that Hawthorn haven’t taken a risk on taking him on, as many Hawks fans have suggested.

Hey play the ball not the man.

Hawthorn supporters seem very confident that they are very much on Cogs’ radar, so there must be a very real chance it will come down to Hawks vs Giants for his signature.

Hawks have put themselves $1 million behind the pace if this does happen.

Not saying Scully has no chance of getting back to his best, but it’s laughable to suggest that Hawthorn haven’t taken a risk on taking him on, as many Hawks fans have suggested.
We will absolutely be gunning for him, like i assume most other clubs will be.

The money spent on Scully will not hinder any attempt at luring Coniglio. With the exits we have had our cap space is not going to be an issue, even if we had the extra 500k we wouldn't offer it to him. We have the space to offer him what we want and that 500k would just be spent elsewhere.

At the end of the day we picked up one of the best wingers in the game for next to nothing, hopefully he gets back to his best but if not the risk is minimal.

That would be accounted for in their long term planning.

On top of that though, they would have had an extra $500k per annum on top of that if you didn’t get Scully.
Not sure what your point is.

Are you suggesting that Hawthorn won’t have room to make offers to players because of Scully’s contract?

We will absolutely be gunning for him, like i assume most other clubs will be.

The money spent on Scully will not hinder any attempt at luring Coniglio. With the exits we have had our cap space is not going to be an issue, even if we had the extra 500k we wouldn't offer it to him. We have the space to offer him what we want and that 500k would just be spent elsewhere.

At the end of the day we picked up one of the best wingers in the game for next to nothing, hopefully he gets back to his best but if not the risk is minimal.
Yeah no risk except for half a mil a year down the drain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, that’s true. Lynch pulling out gave access to roughly the amount of cash that Wingard and Scully are getting.

If you could jag Wingard and a Coniglio/Kelly as well as carrying Scully on your books, your salary cap is in great shape.
Carrying? So good you agree Hawthorn have a Cyril level of cash to throw around. I'll take a cogs to go please.

Yeah no risk except for half a mil a year down the drain
You are talking as if it's 900k or something... If he gets back to anywhere near his best 500k is a massive bargain for a player of his quality.

The main point was that you said this could hurt us trying to get Coniglio, it won't. We will still be able to offer him more than enough to bring him to the club. It just depends if he a) wants to leave the Giants and b) wants to come to the Hawks.

The 500k will not impact that.

Cyril was on $1m+ a year?
He probably retired 3 years early.
Hardly enough in itself to pay entirely for a 7 year contract at $1m+ a year for Coniglio.
No I never said that, due to Cyril retiring we only have to find another 400k odd to bring in Cogs on top of Wingard and Scully. What does him retiring early have anything to do with? List management isn't a one for one.

You are talking as if it's 900k or something... If he gets back to anywhere near his best 500k is a massive bargain for a player of his quality.

The main point was that you said this could hurt us trying to get Coniglio, it won't. We will still be able to offer him more than enough to bring him to the club. It just depends if he a) wants to leave the Giants and b) wants to come to the Hawks.

The 500k will not impact that.
It’s not just what you offer Cogs, it’s the extra amount they have to sway him as well. There’s no way you can say GWS having extra money to offer him won’t affect his decision.

No I never said that, due to Cyril retiring we only have to find another 400k odd to bring in Cogs on top of Wingard and Scully. What does him retiring early have anything to do with? List management isn't a one for one.
Exactly.
A ‘Cyril level of cash to throw around’ as you say, won’t be enough to pay to sign Coniglio on the career contract he will be asking.

But it certainly helps. Just like the Scully money would have.

But hawks supporters seem confident they can afford him even carrying a three year Scully contract.

If they miss on their priority target again after missing on first Lynch then Shiel with the cash they have, questions need to be asked.

Exactly.
A ‘Cyril level of cash to throw around’ as you say, won’t be enough to pay to sign Coniglio on the career contract he will be asking.

But it certainly helps. Just like the Scully money would have.

But hawks supporters seem confident they can afford him even carrying a three year Scully contract.

If they miss on their priority target again after missing on first Lynch then Shiel with the cash they have, questions need to be asked.
Mate if your mob can afford Lynch after giving up 50% of your salary cap to your top 6 players, we'll be able to afford Cogs no problem.

Burton 500k out, Cyril 700k out, Vickery 500k out easily paid for Scully and Wingard, and we have the likes of Roughy on 800k, Birchall on 600k, Burgoyne on 600k all due to finish up this year as well.

Mate if your mob can afford Lynch after giving up 50% of your salary cap to your top 6 players, we'll be able to afford Cogs no problem.

Burton 500k out, Cyril 700k out, Vickery 500k out easily paid for Scully and Wingard, and we have the likes of Roughy on 800k, Birchall on 600k, Burgoyne on 600k all due to finish up this year as well.
Some of your assumptions have a chance of being correct.

The only facts we have available to us though is that Scully signed a three year deal with Hawthorn, which has used up space in the cap that could otherwise be used to entice a Coniglio type. If they can carry this contract while at the same time affording Coniglio next year, all power to them.

But Hawthorn supporters stating salaries like you have based on no source of information is simplistic and inaacurate.

If you look at the Hawks list I believe they will have room in the salary cap for a big salary but it will need to be a free agent as I think they will need to keep there pick and it could be from 8-14 so a good pick to have
Just my opinion and i know they will need a tall forward so maybe we can flick them Patton for a future 3rd or 4th😜
I am not sure what other free agents could suit the Hawks but I am sure they will look to trade in some players just hopefully not Coniglio

Some of your assumptions have a chance of being correct.

The only facts we have available to us though is that Scully signed a three year deal with Hawthorn, which has used up space in the cap that could otherwise be used to entice a Coniglio type. If they can carry this contract while at the same time affording Coniglio next year, all power to them.

But Hawthorn supporters stating salaries like you have based on no source of information is simplistic and inaacurate.
Remember the other day you said provide a source, and I did? I remember it shutting you up.

Fact is we have plenty of space to go after Cogs, it's just a matter of what he wants to do.

You don’t actually know if it’s inaccurate.

You don’t actually know if it’s inaccurate.
I don’t know what salary Roughead and Burgoyne are on. I don’t pretend to know like some in this thread.

All I know for a fact is they Scully has taken $$$ from Hawthorns cap for the next three years that could have been used to entice another player to the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back