Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
I couldn't care if Scully plays again, or not, but I'm hardly worried by him as an opposition supporter.

He's had one excellent year in nine - 2016. One great year in nine.

He's another disappointing pick one. Not that his initial drafting position means anything to Hawthorn supporters. It rightly doesn't.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
I couldn't care if Scully plays again, or not, but I'm hardly worried by him as an opposition supporter.

He's another disappointing pick one. Not that his initial drafting position means anything to Hawthorn supporters. It rightly doesn't.

Oh come on Trav!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Cos a melbourne supporters number one worry is their own team. Don't take my word for it. Take Gary Lyons.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
I ask: Is it possible to get a great player on the cheap which helps the trading team screw over another rival team?

Good question
Replace great with ''disappointing pick one''.

Scully has never been a great player. But he did make the AA top 40 squad once.

Replace great with ''disappointing pick one''.

Scully has never been a great player. But he did make the AA top 40 squad once.
Disappointing because he left your beloved Dees, Trav?

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Disappointing because he left your beloved Dees, Trav?
Do you think he's been a great pick one ?

Do you think he's been a great player ?

Do you think he's had the career football fans would have envisaged ten years ago ?

I don't think anything I'm saying is controversial. But for some reasons facts make people feel uncomfortable.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I love the line about how if EVERYTHING keeps going smoothly then there is a GENUINE CHANCE that he MAY return around mid season.

What an absolute fluff piece. Nothing said at all. Perfect example of Australian sports journalism.

Do you think he's been a great pick one ?

Do you think he's been a great player ?

Do you think he's had the career football fans would have envisaged ten years ago ?

I don't think anything I'm saying is controversial. But for some reasons facts make people feel uncomfortable.
I think Tom is inside your head. That’s what I think.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Finally, in his 7th year he had a terrific season and made the AA squad of 40. I suspected he was going to maintain, or improve on that. It took a long time, but he started to finally deliver what you'd expect for an early pick. Still not as good as your own Isaac Smith, but good nonetheless.

Then in 2017 he regressed. He was still OK, but certainly not as good as 2016, which was surprising considering he played every game (24).

It is what it is.

Typically deep response.
For sure.

In six months time you’ll still be in here telling everyone about how you don’t care about Tom Scully.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
For sure.

In six months time you’ll still be in here telling everyone about how you don’t care about Tom Scully.
When did I say I didn't care ?

I'll always watch his career with interest. There's a bit of a fascination with pick ones. Especially failed ones.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Trav will continue to follow this thread along with all the other threads on number one draft picks. He is good like that. I like his instant response to my post

He is also quite interested in all things Hawthorn.

Scully coming over to the Hawks is like a mega explosion in Trav’s head. Can hear it from here

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love the line about how if EVERYTHING keeps going smoothly then there is a GENUINE CHANCE that he MAY return around mid season.

What an absolute fluff piece. Nothing said at all. Perfect example of Australian sports journalism.
Nothing fluffy about Scully helping GWS screw over the Bombers. GWS should have asked for three first rounders in retrospect

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Note that there is no author included in the article - no one willing to put their name to such an obvious paid promotion piece from the Hawthorn Football Club.

Also note that the photo of Tom only shows him from the waist up :think:

Pretty desperate attempt to sell as much memberships as possibly based on false hope before the season starts.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I note no-one is coming to defend Scully's career exploits.

:D:thumbsu::cool:
When fit he is one of the best wingmen in the game, is he going to go down as the best player from that draft? No, he wont. Has he managed to forge out a very good AFL career to date? Absolutely. He has spent most of his career playing for garbage teams and not many players in his position are able to dominate on bad teams. He is just coming in to his best years now and we saw that playing in a good team he is a very good player.

He is one of the hardest working and most professional players in the AFL.

Probably the best tank and best runner in the AFL.

A damaging player with ball in hand that is able to hit the scoreboard as well.

I would say anyone claiming he is a bust either hasn't watched him close enough or is a bitter Demon fan. I would say you probably fall in to the second category.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
When fit he is one of the best wingmen in the game, is he going to go down as the best player from that draft? No, he wont. Has he managed to forge out a very good AFL career to date? Absolutely. He has spent most of his career playing for garbage teams and not many players in his position are able to dominate on bad teams. He is just coming in to his best years now and we saw that playing in a good team he is a very good player.

He is one of the hardest working and most professional players in the AFL.

Probably the best tank and best runner in the AFL.

A damaging player with ball in hand that is able to hit the scoreboard as well.

I would say anyone claiming he is a bust either hasn't watched him close enough or is a bitter Demon fan. I would say you probably fall in to the second category.
Who's claiming he's a bust ? He's just another poor pick one.

Everyone knows his attributes, such as being a tireless runner, but he has little hurt factor with his kicking.

He hasn't been a patch on your own Isaac Smith, who I rate highly, and Smith isn't pick one worthy either.

Back