Toast Tom Sheridan

Remove this Banner Ad

Palmer's knee injury is what destroyed him, much more than any incompetent coach. He could have been a decent honest player with average skills. I really don't know why GWS chased him, but it was smart for Palmer to go there and make some coin.

Sheridan got the ball at one stage yesterday and took off. From behind me I heard "Go Stephen!". :D

Even though they have a similar running style, Hilly crosses the ground with a little more grace and has afterburner technology that Sheridan hasn't yet developed.

Didn't mind his game last night, but I'm not entirely convinced that he's the gun that RTB clearly thinks he is.

Palmer's knee injury is what destroyed him, much more than any incompetent coach. He could have been a decent honest player with average skills. I really don't know why GWS chased him, but it was smart for Palmer to go there and make some coin.

While his knee hampered his greatest ability, he was pretty s**t. He just racked up so much of the ball, though, and as soon as those numbers went down he just had no redeeming qualities, really. Woeful decision maker, awful kick, ammo-standard nouse and smartness.

A hugely disappointing career but 80 games, a Rising Star medal, good money, and six years of kicking the footy for a living is something I'd look back on as romantically as I would disappointedly. Not too bad for him in the end. He also claims the Perennially Piss Poor Haircut trophy for never having an okay chop in his whole career.

Didn't mind his game last night, but I'm not entirely convinced that he's the gun that RTB clearly thinks he is.
Have to agree a bit. Neale is the outstanding one in my opinion. He just reads the ball so naturally and has such a footy nouse, the way he runs into space and knows exactly where he's handballing and how to weight a kick... he will be an absolute general in the middle. Love Lachie. Such a footballer's footballer.
Someone said Sheridan was "very vanilla" at WAFL level. And I kind of agree. While being well-rounded is a rare and lucky toolbox, I just think there's something a bit boring. Like he's someone who'll cruise through a victory, but be absolutely anonymous in a loss. He doesn't seem to win a lot of his own ball and his presence just doesn't feel that dominating. Maybe it's just me.

While his knee hampered his greatest ability, he was pretty s**t. He just racked up so much of the ball, though, and as soon as those numbers went down he just had no redeeming qualities, really. Woeful decision maker, awful kick, ammo-standard nouse and smartness.

A hugely disappointing career but 80 games, a Rising Star medal, good money, and six years of kicking the footy for a living is something I'd look back on as romantically as I would disappointedly. Not too bad for him in the end. He also claims the Perennially Piss Poor Haircut trophy for never having an okay chop in his whole career.

Have to agree a bit. Neale is the outstanding one in my opinion. He just reads the ball so naturally and has such a footy nouse, the way he runs into space and knows exactly where he's handballing and how to weight a kick... he will be an absolute general in the middle. Love Lachie. Such a footballer's footballer.
Someone said Sheridan was "very vanilla" at WAFL level. And I kind of agree. While being well-rounded is a rare and lucky toolbox, I just think there's something a bit boring. Like he's someone who'll cruise through a victory, but be absolutely anonymous in a loss. He doesn't seem to win a lot of his own ball and his presence just doesn't feel that dominating. Maybe it's just me.
He's a second year player, give him a rest geez. He's not getting the big numbers because hes not being put in the middle. Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow/Neale/Hill/Pearce are getting the numbers. Give him a rest.

He's a second year player, give him a rest geez. He's not getting the big numbers because hes not being put in the middle. Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow/Neale/Hill/Pearce are getting the numbers. Give him a rest.

Fair enough, and I did think about that, but I'm still not absolutely convinced he's as good as he's being touted to. Maybe it's because he's not my kind of player and seems far too outside and a bit of a coaster at the moment, but I dunno. Just a feeling. I never attacked him bitterly or anything. Sorry for the differing opinion.

Fair enough, and I did think about that, but I'm still not absolutely convinced he's as good as he's being touted to. Maybe it's because he's not my kind of player and seems far too outside and a bit of a coaster at the moment, but I dunno. Just a feeling. I never attacked him bitterly or anything. Sorry for the differing opinion.
Nah it's all good mate, not trying to start an argument or anything, just different opinions. I do see what you mean, though I think he's more of an inside mid having to play outside because of the quality of our midfield.

He's convinced me. Can't really compare him to Neale, Neale is pretty much the complete package, can play inside and out. Right now Shero is very slight, very outside. 2 goals and 20 odd possessions as a sub is a VERY good return. I think as he continues to build confidence that he belongs at AFL level, and puts on a bit more weight he can become an integral part of our midfield for year to come.

Outside players get too much of a bad rep. They are very important to the team for many reasons.

A lot of people don't really know what the term means. Between 65-75% of Clancee Pearce's possessions are uncontested, thus you could call him an 'outside player'. But he is still very important to the team and his effective disposal percentages are high because he has a lot of time and space to nail passes and link up rebound 50's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just love the way Lachie gets a loose ball in F50, just puts it straight onto his boot and usually goals -some really sharp reflexes there!

I think he's only going to get better.

Good skills, great running ability, will learn how to win his own ball better and does the team things.

But are his skills that good? He seems a lot less sure with his hands than Neale or Sutty and hasn't really set the world on fire with his decision making as far as I'm concerned; often see him grab it, panic and handball off to the easiest/closest option without laying a shepherd. He is young and I'm glad if he has re-signed, I just reckon he'll struggle for a game when guys like Michie or Mora (or *licks lips* Joshy Simpson) pop up on RTB's radar and start pressing their cases.

I'm rapt if Tommy has signed on for sure! Just watching him run - he has a similar smooth-as, gazelle like style as Hilly. Once he gets confidence in what he can do, and bulks up a bit, I reckon he's going to be a genuine ripper for us!

But are his skills that good? He seems a lot less sure with his hands than Neale or Sutty and hasn't really set the world on fire with his decision making as far as I'm concerned; often see him grab it, panic and handball off to the easiest/closest option without laying a shepherd. He is young and I'm glad if he has re-signed, I just reckon he'll struggle for a game when guys like Michie or Mora (or *licks lips* Joshy Simpson) pop up on RTB's radar and start pressing their cases.

Sutcliffe and Neale have played twice as many games. Sheridan only played one last year so he's still learning. Lucky for us they are all good. Maybe you and I look at things differently but I have seen him do some classy things this year. Every young kid makes mistakes.

Sometimes you have to look at the whole picture and not just small parts in isolation. The way he glides across the ground at speed, coupled with his fitness and skill is going to be a very attractive part of our Footy in the near future.

He's got a bit more silk and class than I gave him credit for after watching him in the WAFL. The resemblance to Hill out there is uncanny, all the way down to his mannerisms.

He must look pretty good in training for RTB to have been so excited about him all this time, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can turn him into.

Michie will certainly need to stay healthy and earn his spot. I'm not a believer yet. Sheridan has quite a bit more upside than Sutcliffe IMO.

I think Sheridans skills are more than fine.

Outside players get too much of a bad rep. They are very important to the team for many reasons.

A lot of people don't really know what the term means. Between 65-75% of Clancee Pearce's possessions are uncontested, thus you could call him an 'outside player'. But he is still very important to the team and his effective disposal percentages are high because he has a lot of time and space to nail passes and link up rebound 50's.
They are important. But I have a baseless dislike towards it. I don't know, but my favourite player will always be the gut running, shepherd laying, pack-diving, head over ball type. While Clanger might get plenty of uncontested ball, he's a tough player and it's something you'd bring up in his best assets. He works really hard and has never shirked a contest. I always picture him just following a bobbling ball with his head low.

I don't think Tom Sheridan is that kind of player who'll put his head over the ball. He just shirks contests a little too much. He might improve, but really, it's just in your personality and something that you have at Auskick or never have.

Is Josh Simpson a forward pocket or midfielder? Or will he do the small forward apprenticeship, pushing Sonny into the guts, and then end up playing in the middle four or five years down the track?

I'm looking forward to the St Kilda game so I can suss Sherro out. It's pretty piss poor for my argument to be based off "dunnos" and feelings, but it's probably an accumulation of small things (I've remembered he doesn't shepherd, since you've mentioned it) and certain attributes.

I don't think Tom Sheridan is that kind of player who'll put his head over the ball. He just shirks contests a little too much. He might improve, but really, it's just in your personality and something that you have at Auskick or never have.

I can only go by what I've seen of Sheridan in AFL games, but I haven't seen any evidence of this at all. In fact, I mentioned earlier in the thread the complete opposite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back