Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think that he had a good finals series last year?
There were a few 'deer in headlights' moments, I'll give you that. But try looking at the positives every now and then, on this occasion they outweigh the negatives but the length of the Flemington straight.

With Harry Taylor (foot) and Lachie Henderson (knee) nursing injuries, second-year defender Tom Stewart is firmly in All Australian calculations. The mature-age Geelong local has patrolled the defence this year, mirroring his mentor Matthew Scarlett with his reading of the play, and even taking on a leadership role in a makeshift defence. With 26 games to his name, Stewart is averaging five more disposals, three more rebound 50s and one more mark per match this season. When the Cats welcome back more experience to their back-half, Stewart's rise will only be further advanced.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-25/surprise-packet-your-clubs-expected-performers

135b8ee125c8a9935e5f61f4c535ed42

I've just been watching your replay from the weekend.

Does Stewart have a nickname down at Geelong?? I think Tom 'Tear Them Apart' Stewart has a nice ring to it.
Think he is going by Future Captain atm

This thread deserved a bump again after the weekend....

More Wells gold in the 40's....

The poster boy for mature aged recruits.

Well... him and TK...

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread deserved a bump again after the weekend....

More Wells gold in the 40's....

The poster boy for mature aged recruits.

Well... him and TK...

GO Catters

40's for TK ?

You say mature picks..which is fine .. I think its more our version of Moneyball. .. agism has played a part in the criteria of why they have been let go or over looked..and not every pick has been successful but the value in a successful pick is hard to deny. Stewart is now being mentioned in aa selection.
If we compare him to other highly drafted kids that could a similar job few are playing as well. Would we replace him for KK on our list or Witherden for eg.

It seems more and more this rebuild / recalibration / reinvigoration / rehydration of our side is more about the Moneyball picks and classic late picks in the draft with the cream to give the side the credential of a legit side rather than the desperate gamble of bringing in Dangerfield at a supreme cost. Of course ..as usual the real test will be later in the year.

40's for TK ?

You say mature picks..which is fine .. I think its more our version of Moneyball. .. agism has played a part in the criteria of why they have been let go or over looked..and not every pick has been successful but the value in a successful pick is hard to deny. Stewart is now being mentioned in aa selection.
If we compare him to other highly drafted kids that could a similar job few are playing as well. Would we replace him for KK on our list or Witherden for eg.

It seems more and more this rebuild / recalibration / reinvigoration / rehydration of our side is more about the Moneyball picks and classic late picks in the draft with the cream to give the side the credential of a legit side rather than the desperate gamble of bringing in Dangerfield at a supreme cost. Of course ..as usual the real test will be later in the year.

I added the TK portion in relation to the poster boy for mature age recruits - not the pick in the 40's.

Go Catters

With so many leaders from defence missing this year (Mackie, Lonergan, Henderson & Taylor), he has taken his game to another level with the extra responsibility. And we needed it.

The one aspect of his game that has improved dramatically is his marking. Looked shaky in the air at times last year but this year he's just clunking them. I think that has a lot to do with going from an amateur footballer to a full-time pro and also a belief that he belongs at this level.

Doing the 44 proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back