Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fast becoming one of my favourites with his 1970's look about him. He is deceptively fast, cool in the crisis and a good decision maker. Arguably the best mature aged recruit in the competition since Barlow at Freo

and an interesting thing a VFL coach I know said to me draft night.. Stewart is a Gun, and then when House was drafted "and this bloke is even better"

may not work out that way, but he is young enough to still have an impact... imagine if we nailed 2 picks like that
Yeah imagine that. Just 1 out of the 3 though playing at Stewart's level is already a massive win.

Fast becoming one of my favourites with his 1970's look about him. He is deceptively fast, cool in the crisis and a good decision maker. Arguably the best mature aged recruit in the competition since Barlow at Freo

That Podsiadly guy went OK ;)

and an interesting thing a VFL coach I know said to me draft night.. Stewart is a Gun, and then when House was drafted "and this bloke is even better"

may not work out that way, but he is young enough to still have an impact... imagine if we nailed 2 picks like that
Not unprecedented if we do

Im sure you have had conversations with footy people , I certainly , where this kid or other will be a champ ... yep imagine if House can be a bargain bargain.

and foot skills......top drawer foot skills......I don't get the benefit of seeing many VFL games so I didnt really know what to expect from Stewart. I certainly didnt expect a player of this quality....

Expect to see him a fixture for years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair though, Every player who gets drafted is a gun at the lower levels-spuds never seem to get the call up some reason. Stewart has handled the transition well though, I figured he would play 1-2 games this season as an emergency options but has has really grabbed has chance with both hands, kudos to him.

That run down the wing was ******* brilliant... then the delivery to Q9 was just as good.

Attacking defender - just add water.

Luved Scarlo when he played.
Luv Scarlo for bringing in this bloke.

Luv Boris for his time here.
Luv Boris for his coaching now.

And LUV what Tom stewart os doing for the #44 now.

This is going very well.

GO Catters

We got canned last year for trading Caddy and then drafting VFL players. Stewart this draft and Menegola in the previous draft show that the state leagues have players who can still play 7-10 years of senior footy and be excellent players.
They do exist, I mean Nick Newman for Swans was from the state league, same with Mitch Hibberd and Mark Baguely, also Harry Taylor... They do exist, and in most cases its defenders that are easier to find in the state leagues...

As for Stewart, he definitely reminds of Scarlett the way he plays and moves, may be a tad shorter, but not much, can easily play the third tall defender.

The look on Jack's face as he tries to catch him:

"FFS kick the thing so I can give up the chase".

Love how he throws his hands up mid-chase as if to say "That's it, I'm done."

and foot skills......top drawer foot skills......I don't get the benefit of seeing many VFL games so I didnt really know what to expect from Stewart. I certainly didnt expect a player of this quality....

Expect to see him a fixture for years to come.

X2 plus he reads it so well so his positioning is first class.
Can't underestimate the courage factor either - to come back from that head injury and play unaffected says how tough he is physically and mentally :thumbsu:

We got canned last year for trading Caddy and then drafting VFL players. Stewart this draft and Menegola in the previous draft show that the state leagues have players who can still play 7-10 years of senior footy and be excellent players.
I don't think it was Stewart or Menegola who raised eyebrows they have been great pickups but Abbot and House area bit more of a stretch. Mature aged recruits need to impact sooner and Stewart has exceeded expectations already.

I don't think it was Stewart or Menegola who raised eyebrows they have been great pickups but Abbot and House area bit more of a stretch. Mature aged recruits need to impact sooner and Stewart has exceeded expectations already.

2/4 this early is an exceptional return.

It's not the sexy drafting option. But if it's effective... bloody do it!

In fairness to both Abbott and House, both had major injuries and surgery early on and it has really put them behind in fitness, development and ability to show their wares (House shoulder reco and Abbott leg fracture)

Id be waiting for a bit longer for their impact assessment IMO

In fairness to both Abbott and House, both had major injuries and surgery early on and it has really put them behind in fitness, development and ability to show their wares (House shoulder reco and Abbott leg fracture)

Id be waiting for a bit longer for their impact assessment IMO
House showed last year he has some talent haven't seen anything to show Abbott was worth it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back