Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

This thread deserved a bump again after the weekend....

More Wells gold in the 40's....

The poster boy for mature aged recruits.

Well... him and TK...

GO Catters
Heard him speak on the Sunday footy show after the Port win, spoke very well. Not sure why but didn't see that in him.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Who was it that called him as a future captain? Because I can 100% see that as a possibility.

Could be... if he wants it. Captaincy doesn't sit well with every player. By some accounts Garry Hocking didn't like the leadership role when he was given one. I remember Matty Scarlett hoisting the 2006 pre-season cup aloft as acting captain of the night but I don't think he put his hand up for the captaincy ever again, even though he would have been a 'lock' in my book.

I thought it was overs at the time, boy was I wrong.

He'd be a lock top 10 if not top 5... the kid is verging on elite.
5th in the B&F for 2017, not bad in a preliminary final year. If he continues his current form he'd be a certainty for All-Australian in 2018. Looking at the 2016 draft, he's easily the best player as of today from that pool of players. The only thing that really drops him down the draft rankings is his age.

Actually just quietly how good did Wells do in the '16 draft, our top 3 picks (Parf, Stewart and Sav) all best 22, as is our first rookie pick (Henry).

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Could be... if he wants it. Captaincy doesn't sit well with every player. By some accounts Garry Hocking didn't like the leadership role when he was given one. I remember Matty Scarlett hoisting the 2006 pre-season cup aloft as acting captain of the night but I don't think he put his hand up for the captaincy ever again, even though he would have been a 'lock' in my book.

Let's face it, Matty was the captain of the club when the players took to the field, took to his BBQ, took to his Mad Mondays.

He just didn't need the title nor the PR stuff.

Getting to look that way in the coach's box too...

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
135b8ee125c8a9935e5f61f4c535ed42

Might make this my new avatar pic. Sort of looks like he's glancing up at the post I'm quoting and smirking about it?

Quality defender IMO. Where was he playing prior to being drafted?
local footy for South Barwon (where Scarlett spotted him) -> Geelong VFL -> Geelong AFL.

If ever there was a lovechild of Boris and Scarlo...

There...

its been said.

But seriously anyone that can carry the #44 with aplomb in year 2 is magnificent. And to think he might get better.

Go Catters

Amazing when you think about it - 2 mature aged recruits who have collectively played about 36 games leading the way

Menegola would be well up there too.

Great mature recruiting Wells.

Back