Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

o_O - it's not that much of a goal between Buddy in first place & Kennedy in 2nd place:
View attachment 550391

The 0.08 goals per game difference is just ahead of the 0.07 lead for combined goals & goal assists that Buddy has over Hawkins: 4.17 vs 4.1 - so if Buddy is only narrowly beating Hawkins he is also only narrowly ahead of Kennedy.

We could end up with a situation similar to the 2012 AA team where Riewoldt won the Coleman with 65 goals ahead of Pav & Hawkins (62 goals), and Buddy (59 goals), but it was Buddy & Hawkins selected for the AA team
I didn’t even think of Kennedy. Probably cos he only played 11 games.

Bartlett, Frawley and Richardson are on the all Australian selection committee. There is no way Riewoldt misses full forward. But the two best key forwards this season have been Franklin and Hawkins. If they only pick two then Riewoldt should miss out.

I didn’t even think of Kennedy. Probably cos he only played 11 games.

Bartlett, Frawley and Richardson are on the all Australian selection committee. There is no way Riewoldt misses full forward. But the two best key forwards this season have been Franklin and Hawkins. If they only pick two then Riewoldt should miss out.

Same reason why Rance will get the starting role as AA FB when there have been much better defenders this year.

We could see selections at the bookends based on reputation rather than their output when compared to others from this season

Buddy is averaging more goals per game then any other player in the comp this year and by a bit of a gap too. He is also top in terms of goals plus goal assists per game combined narrowly beating Hawkins who is second. Riewoldt is a decent way behind those two. Franklin should be the first forward picked. Hawkins should be the second. They are the clear best two forwards this season.

I forgot he missed a few weeks, my stats were skewed by that.
So yes, you are right he should be AA and that was my mistake.

The AFL Coaches Association Best Young Player of the Year Award is presented in recognition of the player who, based on his performances in his first two seasons of AFL football, deserves to be acknowledged as the Best Young Player.

2018 SHADFORTH FINANCIAL GROUP AFLCA BEST YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR LEADERBOARD

Tom Stewart (Geelong) — 40 votes

Sam Powell-Pepper (Port Adelaide) — 23 votes

Hugh McCluggage (Brisbane) — 20 votes

Luke Ryan (Fremantle) — 19 votes

Hugh Greenwood (Adelaide Crows) — 17 votes

edit: *Votes cast across 2017 and 2018 seasons

Last edited:
Other club fans melting “he’s 25 wahhhhhhhh”
Just wait until next year when Kelly wins the award & not only do we have consecutive AFLCA award winners but they're both mature aged recruits

What an absolutely deserved award for Tom. This kid has done nothing but give 100% since he arrived. Love him. Hope he is in our back 6 for many years to come.

Yes well said. Another fat serving of humble pie for all those that complained when we "went early" in the draft to secure Tom's services.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Preparing to be shot down....I think Tom is a marginal selection...I hope he gets it, but wouldn't be surprised if he just misses.

Grimes might also be stiff....

I want 18 players from Rich selected ..... as long as they have bonuses for AA selection. Listened to Cook the other week and he said after 07 .. he never put it into our contracts.. blew the SC to the shizen

I want 18 players from Rich selected ..... as long as they have bonuses for AA selection. Listened to Cook the other week and he said after 07 .. he never put it into our contracts.. blew the SC to the shizen
lol that's why some sports franchises dread too much success :) performance bonuses, everybody wants a raise...

Amazing effort mature pick must have worked very hard since being pick 40. To be all Australian in his second season is a great effort. Wells, Scott and the club have copped a lot recently. But the list is a lot better now than it has been for a while. With a range players drafted recently who are very good players.

Somewhat surprised that the AA selectors gave him the nod in the end, but he has produced a really good body of work this season; sharp, crisp play, never flustered, very assured. That's not to say there hasn't been the occasional mistake here and there, but all reputations aside, he played to an extremely high standard and virtually never lowered his colours against all kinds of opposition. A real competitor.

Seemed to roll/sprain/break his ankle every other week, but showed resilience in coming back earlier than expected more than once.

Things I like about Major Tom:

* He is fast. He has leg speed *and* closing speed.

* His quick-trigger kicking action, which allows him to set up, execute and usually hit a target in the blink of an eye.

* His decisiveness in judging when to go for his marks and when to spoil. Very rarely gets it wrong. Often takes brave marks. When he spoils, the ball usually ends up 5 rows back in the crowd.

He'd stroll into any 22 in the country and we're lucky to have him, probably due a wee pay rise in the near future..

In saying all that, next week is the biggest game of his career, and he needs to back it up on the big stage. No pressure!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back