Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good bump....must be very close to securing a second AA this year.

A real star with a great attitude to the game...and respect to his opponents....

Deserves all the rewards he gets.

His form would have to wither dramatically for him not to be AA this year. He’d be close to first picked at the moment. The AFL website does a Team Of The Week after each round and, though it’s only one person’s opinion, it’s notable that Stewart has been named just about every week. Having a stellar year and could be the next Enright in terms of being a near walk-up start for AA HBF position.

Lives and breaths football. One of the few who consistently makes it down to watch the vfl and I believe he has a coaching role with the wamans football as well. Looks like a real leader at the club both on and off the field and would surely be in the running to be our next captain.
AND if I was a chick I'd be in to him. And of course I'd need to be forty years younger. Hello Kitty ?

Stewart's been playing at an amazingly high level for a while now; he and Tim Kelly are at the heart of this team's improvement.

For a couple of years the club hoped that Duncan, Cam Guthrie and one or two others would step up to lend effective and consistent support to Dangerfield and Selwood. But the addition of Stewart and Kelly worked out so brilliantly for the club that they have leap-frogged the former 'B-graders' and have become just as important to the side as Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett.

Stewart absolutely dominates the Defensive 50 arc; his current run of sustained excellent form - which has only ever really been blemished by a couple of shaky finals performances (a la the entire 2012-18 Geelong list) - is as good as basically any Geelong defender I've seen, and that includes Scarlett and Enright. He started later than those guys as a player, so his career may not wind up being as long, but if he keeps producing the high standard of football that he has so far, he will be very fondly remembered indeed.

He's not quite Gary Rohan-quick, but he is very fleet of foot and is one of those valuable defenders who can actually close down a forward in space; partly through his quickness but also because he is the pythagoras of defenders and can cut off a forward through clever use of angles.

Don't even get me started about his hair-trigger kicking set-up; the dude can get off a fast, accurate kick in an old-fashioned phone box - only needs a step, sometimes stopping on a 5 cent piece to assess things in a microsecond before nonchalantly disposing of the ball by foot.

Such an asset.

Are there records for AA positions by team AND jumper number?
Not sure sorry, I just looked at the records for both Enright & Stewart knowing they wore/wear the #44

His form would have to wither dramatically for him not to be AA this year. He’d be close to first picked at the moment. The AFL website does a Team Of The Week after each round and, though it’s only one person’s opinion, it’s notable that Stewart has been named just about every week. Having a stellar year and could be the next Enright in terms of being a near walk-up start for AA HBF position.

Elegantly said, bigfarter.

Lives and breaths football. One of the few who consistently makes it down to watch the vfl and I believe he has a coaching role with the wamans football as well. Looks like a real leader at the club both on and off the field and would surely be in the running to be our next captain.
He'd be close to first choice for the handover.

I thought the Tigers brang Townsend in to tag Stewart such is the form he's in.
Was very surprised he went to Taylor early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the Tigers brang Townsend in to tag Stewart such is the form he's in.
Was very surprised he went to Taylor early.

They should have given it a crack, because Stewart absolutely dominated last night.

If anyone can find the footage of his ridiculous smother in the 2nd quarter on the wing I'd love to see it again.

I never thought I’d be happy after Boris retired - and I can’t day I’m happy but damn is Tommy Stewart the best replacement possible. Bloke is a dead set gun and based on current ratings if he does not get AA I’ll go heeee

Go Catters

From a Cats point of view he's one of 4 locks imo.
Stewart, TK, Hawkins and Ablett.

Agree with that but I think Danger is a lock too. He’s judged very harshly due to his exceptional standards.

Champion Data’s Brownlow tracker currently predicts he’s in 4th spot only behind TK, Cripps and Fyfe: https://m.afl.com.au/brownlow-medal/predictor

FWIW, I think he will storm home and win it.

Blicavs is also going to be very close for the FB position - back to his defensive best the last couple of weeks, gave Buddy & Lynch nothing.

Last edited:
I never thought I’d be happy after Boris retired - and I can’t day I’m happy but damn is Tommy Stewart the best replacement possible. Bloke is a dead set gun and based on current ratings if he does not get AA I’ll go heeee

Go Catters
Same. Enright and Scarlett were so good and to replace them nearly immediately with Stewart and Domsy/Blicavs is hard to believe. Not comparing them but they're bloody good replacements.

Blicavs is also going to be very close for the FB position - back to his defensive best the last couple of weeks, gave Buddy & Lynch nothing.
Same. Enright and Scarlett were so good and to replace them nearly immediately with Stewart and Domsy/Blicavs is hard to believe. Not comparing them but they're bloody good replacements.
Similar as replacing Egan with Taylor in the space of 30 days.

and Mr Wells statue petition gets more signatures...

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back